Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust Gasket - Mid Section

desertrogue

Country Flag
united_arab_emirates
Hey guys, hoping this is a quick fix.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew if the exahust section ( near the transfer case), where the back exhaust box meets the header pipe section, should it have an exhaust gasket from toyota or do you just use exhaust gasket paste?.

My mechanic took the back box off when he was doing some work on the suspension and t-case, however now I can hear like there is a hole in the exhaust, sure enough i got underneath and checked, no gasket and a nice steady flow of air coming from the joint that bolts from one section to another .

Just want to know if there is a specific toyota type before I go through the long process of explaining this to my parts guy or if I can just ask the mechanic to get it sorted with normal gasket paste ( I prefer the toyota method if there is one, since the second option is also difficult)

Cheers guys

Ryan

If it's anything like the 80 setup then there's three bolts or possibly two on a flange but there's no paste involved. It's either a flat gasket or (more likely) a large diameter coned sleeve like the ones on the link below, or it may be a solid version. If it's like the one below, which is like compressed thick steel wool, they can disintegrate.

http://www.zeppy.io/discover/gb/exhaust-gasket-rings

Last edited:
Thanks alot that is really helpful, yes its a flange type , two bolts, the parts guy found me the part type so I can go collect it this weekend

I assume not major issue driving it around until I get it fitted?

Thanks

Pity they lost the old one. That would have been OK cleaned up and sealed with silicone sealer.

OK to drive but just double check there are no hot gasses from the leak blowing on to vulnerable parts.

Cheers frank
usual standard here - you find a decent mechanic but he will be bad in one area
in this case my car came back with to much oil in the sump , empty coolant reservoir , exhaust gasket missing - hopefully get it sorted soon

Are you sure you took it to the mechanic??[emoji15]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back