Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

exhaust silencer box - genuine or aftermarket?

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Main exhaust box silencer has got a big hole in the pipe. This is an aftermarket milner offroad one i got 3 years ago, on my 4runner the milner box i got for that also lasted 3 years before getting a hole...

They are £60 on milner, so not too bad so not disappointed.

roughtrax however:
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=1098

offer a Non-Genuine Main Exhaust Silencer for £69 + VAT
or a Genuine Toyota- Main Exhaust Silencer with 3-year guarantee for £220 + VAT
and say (Full Toyota retail price on this silencer is £330.60 + vat !!)

how long does a genuine one last? I can get 3 cheaper ones - 9yrs motoring! for price of a genuine
any other benefits of genuine one? better for fuel economy? peformance?

also interesting to note Roughtrax now sell this sealing ring on the flexi-joint
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=1098&vid=574

Straight pipe from Jetex, chop out box and weld in new section. Lighter, less to catch, sounds barely any different and cheaper to boot.

Chris

I'd get a price from your Toyota dealer, I replaced my rear box before xmas & they do a range of parts for older vehicles labeled Optifit or Optipart? They are identical genuine parts just discounted to compete with aftermarket according to the parts guy.

Mine was about £120 with free fitting.

I got a price for the main silencer from Toyota about a year ago.... I nearly fell off my seat, I can't remmember what it was (think I blanked it from my memory) but it was daylight robbery....

Was the £120 for the very tail end part (with a small silencer near the end) not the big middle section?

Back to the first question, I would say possibly the genuine one fails over a longer period so 'could' be less likely to fail suddenly somewhere, i did have a cheap silencer seem to suddenly break right off at the pip on my hilux once, and fall around under the vehicle... (will admit, prob a manufacturing fault as it did suddenly let go).

Dave

complete back box & tail pipe section.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
bought and fitted a roughtrax non-genuine one in the end

Bret - I'm guessing you mean what I know as the tail pipe (which has a small rear silencer)

Mine only has two silencers the Large middle silencer in the center section and the small rear silencer in the tail pipe....

I checked again with Toyota today - center section way way way more than £120

If not, can I have the dealers phone no :)

Dave

Back