Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Expedition vehicle of choice in 20 years time

james-c

Garage
Country Flag
namibia
This is more of a philosophical question. My truck is now 16 years old and is my expedition/camping/overland/play vehicle of choice today :D

If I look around at the new vehicles available today, I don't think I would choose any of them to do an overland trip in any of them in 16 years time. I'm not even sure any of them will still be going 16 years in the future!!

I wonder why no one is building any solid offroad 4x4s that rival the 80 series or equivalent. Is it that tastes have changed and that we are a small minority, or is it just too expensive to re-design the 80 or equivalent?

Thoughts? :think:

Maybe the current aged expedition vehicles will continue as they are in use, much like with Defenders etc. Isnt it amazing that the vehicles we use now like 80's and the like had longer production runs in a certain model than newer stuff.

Might be worth considering that as vehicle technology advances so does the technology in the rest of the world (sat phones, gps, remote area recovery) so maybe it all goes together hand in hand and the need for the "basic" dependable expedition vehicle is a thing of the past.

james-c said:
I wonder why no one is building any solid offroad 4x4s that rival the 80 series or equivalent. Is it that tastes have changed and that we are a small minority, or is it just too expensive to re-design the 80 or equivalent?
Thoughts? :think:
It's not in the manufacturers interest to build in longevity, they make em, we break em and buy more :think:

If the oil runs out, we could be on donkeys. Wonder what mods you could make to a donkey.. :think:

Havent you seen Mad Max.......we will survive ;)

fridayman said:
If the oil runs out, we could be on donkeys. Wonder what mods you could make to a donkey.. :think:
Bricks :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it suits your needs I don't see why you can't keep your 80 going for another 20 years. You will have to patch it up here and there I'm sure but when you look at some of the 'classic' rot boxes some people keep going an 80 should be easy.

I agree with Jon. Some Of these are great con and i cant see why in another 20 years they still wont be up to the job.

Karl

Yeah it would be absolute treat to still have mine in20 yeast time. Just need to maintain it properly and not do anything too stupid and it should be a problem.

Just wondering what people would use if they didn't have access to a LC.

I do not know why they sold the 80 in Britain as they had to compete with RR who had the market and still do. I have a 1995 80 and know that that 1997 80's had quieter engines and softer suspension presumably to take more RR customers. Where's this leading? Well as long as there are terrible or no roads at all somewhere on the planet I am sure Toyota will be there supplying basic reliable vehicles so you may have to go out of Uk to buy one in 20 years time.

Incidently, how many 80's were imported to UK?

Frank

In 20 years time, I would predict that they will all be pickup based - such as the Hilux etc. I'm sure there will be a need for a relatively rugged utility vehicle in the future and (IMO) that we become very much the domain of the pickup/ute.

All the current "4X4"s - Disco, Toureg, RR, Cayenne, ML, Q7, Landcruisers, Shoguns etc. will have become these pseudo luxury cars and will have too many electronics and other "gadgets" to be too complicated and perhaps unreliable to take on a expedition.

70 series double cab - the V8 TD should have all its kinks ironed out by then :twisted:

i agree Andrew. :thumbup:

70_series_dual_cab_front_1-0302-mc-876x426.jpg

cant wait till they go on sale! :D

i really want one! :thumbup:

IF you can get them with the "one wire run" 1HZ, the H55F, the old style front clip :pray: then i would LOVE one.
IF you can only get them with the V8 diesel, auto and newer Americanized "SUV" look then i will pass :snooty: .

now, i have been wrenching on Cruisers for 30 years and when the 80 series came out i though "what a joke!", that isn't a real Cruiser. some agree, some disagree.
22 years later and the 80 has a strong following and has proven itself to be pretty reliable and relatively capable off road.
<mind you, i still think the 80 is a joke as far as comparing it to a 40 or a 70>

i have seen the 200 off road and it seems to do fine.

for me, expedition = reliability and simplicity, so computer controlled vehicles are not true expedition vehicles.

fridayman said:
Changing his Big End certainly wouldn't be high on my list of jobs to do that's for sure :D

Bat21 said:
fridayman said:
Changing his Big End certainly wouldn't be high on my list of jobs to do that's for sure :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back