Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fan belt change - Milner strikes again?

grantw

Supporter
HI Guys,
I attempted to change the fan belt yesterday. I undid the lock bult on the slider, undid the swivel bolt on the alternator and then wound the adjusting bolt all the way in to what I'm 99% sure is as far as it will go. After having some difficulty actually swivelling the alternator - had to get underneath and use 600mm breaker bar to swivel it - even though the swivel bolt was only finger tight. After all this I managed to get the OEM fan belts off with out too much trouble but the replacement Milner ones are just that little bit smaller and they just wouldn't go on (at least easily.) Could it be that they are just too small and the OEM ones had stretched? Or is it probably there is still some adjustment left in the alternator?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

My guess will be too small.

I have belts from them marked as 1175x13, which are in fact 1000 long, although Milner tell me these are the correct parts....

Pete

Thanks Pete .. didn't think to actually check the markings and measure it. Think I might be placing a call to Simon Holt very shortly

Hi chaps
Belts markings are a funny thing!! each belt maufacturer has a different place to measure the belt and have a code on it to tell you where the measure ment is from. it could measure 1175 if you measured the outside. If you let me know the sizes of the ones when you get some correct i can possibly get very good ones pretty cheap. you can just give me the outside diameter but you need to walk the tabe around the belt. its not the easiest thing to do.
stu

but you need to walk the tabe around the belt. its not the easiest thing to do.
stu
I've found it easier to put a mark on the belt and on a table (When the missus isn't looking) and 'roll' the belt along until you reach the point on the belt where you started then measure along table. :icon-cool:

No good calling Simon at the moment Grant, he's off on his jolly's

Bugger, just seen your post in the lounge

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi stu,
For the record the toyota one is just over 1000mm. The Milner one is stated as being 1000mm but as you said it must be measured from the inside! Thanks for the kind offer but as the truck is currently off the road I've just ordered some from GSF - hopefully they will be better.

Thanks,
Guys

I wouldn't waste time with cheaper belts, just bite the bullet and buy the matched set from Toyota they are well worth the extra money.

On a few occasions we have looked at 3rd party suppliers, but always struggle to match the lengths - typically from a batch of 20 Milner one's a couple of years back we couldn't get a matched pair out of them - if they aren't matched you will get uneven wear.

Thanks for the input Julian. With Simon Holton out currently I was really going to struggle to get OEM replacements before the weekend is here. Looks like I'll be adding some genuine ones to my shopping list for when he gets back.

I buy alot of items like this and would get a very good product not cheap crap. All the belts from my supplier would be a matched set as it would be used on machinery. so the the belt would be a 13x1000 does this run the air con as well? soory i dont have air con so cant check it. Grant when you get yours can you just let me have the numbers from it please.
stu

Pretty sure they are a 10 x 1000mm.

The air con has a separate belt.

Gates Extra Service or Mr T's own. We use the Gates on our trucks and they last for years and never had a failure, bearing in mind how many times more miles they travel than the average 80 series.

Andy

The Toyota belts are not matched they are just sold in pairs. If you put on 2 identical belts on a used engine you will find one is tighter than the other. This is because the pulleys wear unevenly. The front pulleys wear more than the rear ones. The belts settle in after a bit. Always start the engine after fitting and then stop the engine and readjust. Initial bedding in is instant.

Frank

You are dead right Frank. I fitted a pair of Mr T's own recently, fitted them exactly next to each other ( the writing that is) and within 10 engine revolutions they were a mile apart. The matched belt theory is a fallacy in my opinion ( or a load of Cr@p)!!

Andy

And the 80 is so special it needs two belts because ..........

Why have one when you have the space for 2 ?

....its old fashioned and if it was made today it would have just one poly-belt to do the same job!!! ( did I get it right or is there something I am missing?)

A.

Where every car in the galaxy has one and no issues the 80 has two which are universally a pain in the ....

Put one on and keep the second one in the boot

I don't think 1 would last long Chris. My 2 belts were ever so slightly loose on the Mway once and with all the ancillaries on I suddenly had smoke from under the bonnet. I assume 2 belts last longer than 1? My original belts did 100,000 miles and I still have them as spares.
Also with a 4x4 they grip better under water.
Frank

Yes maybe but at least one is easy to tension. I've had these so called pairs of belts too and they never seen to nip up the same. Like I said proper pita.

C

Back