Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fiery

Memories, memories :) I wouldn't like to say how many hours I've spent tinkering and staring into that engine bay :whistle:

That's some split in the top tank of the rad! Any more clues as to the cause of the overheat? Had the cam belt gone?

Timing belt is all intact, I went off to make the transporter driver a brew when Fiery was delivered back to me and when I came out he DROVE it off the transporter. I was a tad pissed off, it sounded rough like it was running on 3 with the odd puff of white smoke.

So it'll be even more goosed now I would have thought.

When I get chance after fixing Fiery, I'll open the engine up and see if it's viable to rebuild and sell on. I have a spare block that I could use if Fiery's is scored. Also depends if the head has been fried, if it is then all I can do is sell the ancillaries to try and offset the cost of replacement engine etc.

Last edited:
Oops sorry Trev. been really busy as I am sure you can imagine. Any questions just give us a bell as and when you need mate.

Cheers Chris, figured as much. Ed and I will be attempting the gearbox rearward move late afternoon tomorrow. We are going to attempt moving both boxes in one go, well that's plan A. Keep your phone on matey your advice may be called on if I throw me toys out.

Or Friery ....

STOP NOW! This is not funny or clever....

Sorry Trevor, couldn't resist, blame Doodle...:whistle:

My mate who runs my local pub knows my Sis well and never misses an opportunity for leg pulling, he gave me these the other day with strict instructions to leave on the drivers seat when Fiery is all fixed.

DE08F829-7B1F-478A-B906-85B6B7927850_zpsj6dixw3o.jpg

Friday evening Ed and I started on Fiery, disconnected the props

6B8AEC9A-450B-413B-A546-D8181A0B5CCB_zpsjrp5q3qr.jpg

Undid engine mounts, clutch slave, connectors on gearboxes and removed transfer lever. Dropped the gearbox crossmember to get the whole drivetrain to tilt, this gives you a chance of reaching the final top two bolts on the bellhousing.

8FECEC2E-B274-4994-9148-34BC6A5A9F24_zpsy6d3xmjc.jpg
Called it a night and carried on Saturday.

Very tight to get those bolts

FE1531E5-C676-4EA5-88B0-63C243D85705_zpseeyoxlby.jpg

A mixture of both of us kicking and pushing on the transfer with our feet and adjusting jacking positions the bellhousing/engine joint opened a bit.

B53A09F2-F25B-4BC4-86CA-E292D0B14F4A_zpsahxwtnzm.jpg

7648CAED-EEA0-474A-9BCE-B8BC78A673E8_zpscp8gshgd.jpg

C9F54785-98D3-4491-9F70-9454171AD1B9_zpslysoyfl9.jpg

Called it a night and resumed in the morning. We needed more clearance but the cradle on the gearbox crossmember was getting in the way, we weren't too comfortable attempting dropping the box without the safety of the crossmember so we turned it over and put the bolts back in.

BC742969-FE78-49CB-B78C-46CDB1C11B12_zpsdqi5gthf.jpg

Lots more leg action and it started to move, eventually we got it off.

9095FE40-ED07-4B58-B72F-C8F7E9926F77_zpsiclmagy0.jpg

1138137A-34A0-442E-9C4B-C3F3672ACF76_zpsxefkjqwt.jpg

Got the hoist positioned

32788DFF-C5DA-4F21-9017-550F4630B03F_zps1zxqueu2.jpg

Up a smidge

63E5FB4B-CC1B-437B-AF70-DF84DE1F7B37_zpssk4zgash.jpg

We couldn't get the PAS banjo undone so I decided to unbolt the PAS pump off the engine and carry on lifting. As the engine came up we could disconnect some of the tougher electrical connectors towards the back and lower back of the block.

52F791B5-FD1B-44E9-8234-9FE31C886597_zpslcv08yft.jpg

B9950F8D-FD89-41BC-88D5-D1574F1123D6_zpsbnacbmdb.jpg

B4281EF0-9610-4DE5-85B8-DC8AFA8CDE74_zpsvui8lkiu.jpg

AA2B75CD-074C-48EB-BA4E-F5D64FC4AB7D_zps0zt74xic.jpg

81A41411-D0B6-4527-BE18-1CF8B2B563D3_zpsgdjtrv5m.jpg

DD2D6501-5627-4D85-BE0B-081205A1B056_zpsb2yqwfgv.jpg

ECA085FC-ABDD-4235-8739-365708C7AAFD_zpsoo5svsuf.jpg

Took the clutch off and swapped flywheel to new engine, reckon this clutch was just about done for.

B30D07B8-90BA-4AFC-BB5A-9C507C3398E2_zps1f2xxihs.jpg

New Borg and Beck clutch kit

6B16B538-23E4-4604-B4E0-45F454E06192_zpstrysiyde.jpg

3E04698F-4843-48DE-9636-ED0CC11158B7_zpslfhi64qs.jpg

68EFAE7F-7CBD-4CA9-BF92-E01AC8D869F2_zpsvgswpdof.jpg

Our time was up, tidied up and then had fun confusing the neighbours as I winched 2 pallets with engines across the drive.

B9FDEE4A-F53D-4B33-92A5-989DDBB666CD_zpsmv6jhyat.jpg

Fiery parked up.

084E8208-9DB5-4459-B024-B19BD8402883_zpsmxxctsqk.jpg

Won't be working on it again until after Lincomb, I need the rest, it has been punishing just getting to this point. Don't want to think about kicking the gearbox back to the engine. Both Ed and I didn't think it was going to this tough, Mrs Trev said she knew we were done for as we'd stopped talking to each other and were only communicating by hand signals.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great work guys. :clap:

Cant believe your changing the engine in the street! :wtf:

I bet all the toff's in the village will be impressed! :lol:

If I was still over there I would have come and given you guys a hand. :thumbup:

Desperate to find a barn/workshop locally for that very reason, the village has got used to me now I think. An extra pair of hands would have been ideal.

I almost forgot, had to pick the brains of ChrisGreen90 and Stef a couple of times at the beginning. If if hadn't been for them steering me in the right direction early on I'd probably still be at it........big thanks to both of you, top chaps.

That brings back memories, working in the street! It was a good time to catch the clutch by the look of it, just before the rivets start to score.

Make sure you don't get the pallets mixed up Trevor, you'll end up putting the old one back in :doh:

I know that feeling well when the conversation stops, too tired to drag one foot in front of tother. Well done to both of you. :clap:

Get in there you M***** F*****.

Trevor, outstanding work my friend. Outstanding.

I can feel every single nut and bolt there with you. I remember doing the clutch on Lil Blue on the drive completely on my own, so to do that and lift the engine ... respek. As they seem to say.

Awesome, good effort there, look forward to the next instalment :thumbup:

Epic work you've both got done there :shock: Well done :thumbup: I almost called you yesterday evening while driving back from Wales to see how you had got on, but decided not to as I thought you'd either be in the middle of doing it or blowing the froth from off of a cold one. It's a good job you have that long suffering m8 of yours called Ed :icon-smile: He's what a rel m8 should be, obedient and willing :icon-smile: just like the family dog :icon-wink: If every cloud has a silver lining it looks as though as a result of this you've just caught that clutch in time :| I wonder while the engine is out if it's worth looking into removing the Exhaust Gas Valve thingy and blanking it off as its seems to be a real pita of a job with the engine in! I managed to get Swampy's temp up to 94°C a couple of times over the weekend on that new temp gauge while climbing some steep hills! Oddly though I found it got hotter when in 'High' range and working hard, far more so than in low range! If you had the Air-Con on this added another 4 to 6°C to the working temperature! Mostly she spent the weekend around 75 to 85°C on the new gauge. The Auto box however went high temp three times over the weekend and has me questioning the separate inter-cooler for a number of reasons that I'll go into else where. Good to see Fiery being cared for and loved :icon-smile: She's a great looking truck with a lot of history :thumbup: Keep your spirits up as we all know the Physical & financial pain that's endured during and following these exploits! These memories soon vanish and the enjoyment comes back :icon-biggrin: I can't wait for your diagnosis of what caused the failure as the engine seems to be in better order than was first thought and I'm still perplexed at the split in the rad's top tank!!!

Last edited:
Cheers Steve. Ed is a diamond and we both work well together, when I'm flagging he'll get me going again an vice versa plus between us we generally bounce ideas off each other to get over a problem. We thought the weekend would go like this:-

Friday night - drop gearbox
Sat AM - lift engine
Sat PM - swap bits over to new engine, drop engine in.
Sun - reconnect box

What actually happened was

Fri night - Undo stuff - kick crap out of the box and get a little gap.

Sat - kick crap out of the box ALL DAY, move hoists and jack positions and start praying to the mechanical Gods, kick it some more and got the box nearly off. Accept we are too tired to safely risk the final bit to drop the box as light was fading. Order anything that does home delivery, have a couple of cold ones and feel the aches, try to ignore we might have bitten off more then we can chew.

Sun - Really? Already! - Drag our sorry butts outside - take deep breath and kick the box some more until it drops. Wrestle engine out, knowing that we are running out of time. Remind myself that Clive said I'm halfway :laughing-rolling: , put clutch on and now so tired and battered that we stop talking - tidy up and call it a day.

I feel bad for Ed, never seen him quite so down before and his hayfever kicked in just to add to his suffering. He's a top mate and I owe him huge amounts after Lil' Blue and now this job. But Ed's not a quitter, I'm a bit on the fence sometimes in that regard but between us it'll get finished. I know I couldn't do this on my own but we are both dreading round 2 trying to move the gearbox back.

I'd like to blank the EGR off, will need to get a plate fabricated up by someone first. I'm saving opening the old engine as a treat to myself once Fiery is back running again but very curious at what I'll find. I'll take the opportunity while the engine is out to fix the leak on the steering rack, lots of easy access now and hoping it's just that internal O ring thingy that needs replacing.

Get in there you M***** F*****.

Trevor, outstanding work my friend. Outstanding.

I can feel every single nut and bolt there with you. I remember doing the clutch on Lil Blue on the drive completely on my own, so to do that and lift the engine ... respek. As they seem to say.

Appreciate that Chris, what became apparent very early on is the difference a body lift makes. Changing the starter on Lil' Blue is pretty easy by going in through the wheel arch, getting to the same top starter nut on Fiery was a pig of skillfully threading extension bars and knuckle joint. So if you have a 90/95 get a 2" bodylift for "maintenance".

Any tips Chris on how you move 100+ Kgs of gearboxes "uphill" to the engine? Hi lift, winch, maybe there is a special "hoik your box back" tool :lol:

Any tips Chris on how you move 100+ Kgs of gearboxes "uphill" to the engine? Hi lift, winch, maybe there is a special "hoik your box back" tool :lol:
What about a heavy duty ratchet strap looped around the back of the gearbox and hooked onto each side of the front cross member or also looped around the front of the engine if a suitable route can be found :)

Appreciate that Chris, what became apparent very early on is the difference a body lift makes. Changing the starter on Lil' Blue is pretty easy by going in through the wheel arch, getting to the same top starter nut on Fiery was a pig of skillfully threading extension bars and knuckle joint. So if you have a 90/95 get a 2" bodylift for "maintenance".

If it's anything like an 80 it will be a lot easier if you split the transfer case from the main gearbox. The transfer case is a pretty hefty lump in just the wrong place really and you might be surprised what proportion of the weight is in the transfer box and how much easier the main box is to manhandle without it'll almost put itself back in :lol:

If it's anything like an 80 it will be a lot easier if you split the transfer case from the main gearbox. The transfer case is a pretty hefty lump in just the wrong place really and you might be surprised what proportion of the weight is in the transfer box and how much easier the main box is to manhandle without it'll almost put itself back in :lol:

+1

Especially if you have a feeling that the transfer box may be shafted. Might almost be worth a strip down on the bench rather than putting a goosed one back in only to have to take it back out again.

I've had an idea for plan A which might involve a porta power and endoscope camera, regards the transfer box, I want to road test it first as not wholly convinced there is an issue.

Plan B will be as per JW.

The winch hook off Lil Blue through Fiery's sunroof, down through the hole in the top of the transmission tunnel to a strop around the gearbox, then slowly winch in. :icon-wink:

Back