Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire extinguishers

pyemaster

Garage
Hi all,

Looking to get a fire extinguisher mounted in my truck, though I'm unsure of which one to go for.

There seems to be some discussion over the metis or otherwise of powder versions (mainly in the corrosive qualities of what they expel), and of the size required to adequately extinguish your average vehicle fire (some swear by nothing less than 10kg, others that nothing would get the job done when liquids start to take hold anyway).

There is the argument that so long as it gets you and your passengers out it's done its job, and the vehicle is in the hands of the insurance company.

The other option is Firestrykers, but while they last longer they seem to have a lot less reach.

What do other people run with?

Owen

Hi Owen, I carry a CO2 purely because it can smother most fires quickly and leaves no mess (beyond what charred remains the fire has left that is). I've tackled two fires. One electrical on my cruiser with an AFFF which only worked once I had disconnected power (you've never seen anyone disconnect two batteries so quickly). The other with CO2 was a whole pig with a fat fire. It was out in seconds with plenty of charge left.
TBH, it's not going to be used before passengers escape unless they are trapped when again, CO2 would be my preference.
AFFF is good for fuel fires as it prevents reignition.

Thanks, good advice. Seems there are different benefits with different types, likewise drawbacks. I'd not want to be unhooking two batteries in a blazing engine bay to use my extinguisher, in the same way I'd not want a fire to reignite after extinguishing (if it was hot enough), nor ruin what I'd saved from flames with toxic corrosive chemicals.

Hence I was thinking BC rather than ABC, as it was less corrosive without the chemicals in the 'A' additives. Do you think I'd be losing much extinguishing power with just a BC?

I would expect most vehicle fires would be under the bonnet, or dash, either way there's not too much wood or paper under there... Therefore BC would be adequate?

I guess there's no right or wrong with AFFF, CO2 or BC...

Owen

I think the main thing is to have some sort of extinguisher. Just not a water one.

The beauty of CO2 is you don't have to be that close and it comes out with a bit of force (caution on liquids) so can be aimed through a wheel arch or radiator even. My fire was small as I spotted it quickly. Had I not had an extinguisher it could have done far more damage. I ALWAYS carry one now. I guess it boils down to your choice really. CO2 also have a gauge as some others do to check readiness.

I have 3 co2 extinguishers, a small one on each from seat, easy to grab for driver or passenger as it's behind your legs. The 3rd bigger one is in the boot mounted to the side of the drawers.

Yep could be going CO2 then, I like that it leaves no residue and isn't corrosive.

My issue with it is it does little to cool what is on fire, so reignition is entirely possible.

I don't want the corrosive qualities of ABC if I can help it, though I'm worried a BC would struggle to put out a fire which had caught hold of plastics and fabric.

Hmm.

Owen

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have 3 co2 extinguishers, a small one on each from seat, easy to grab for driver or passenger as it's behind your legs. The 3rd bigger one is in the boot mounted to the side of the drawers.

How small are the small CO2 Gary ? Can you post me a link please, ive got a 600g powder but I'd prefer CO2.

Here is where i put mine.
They are both ABE Powder, 1Kg.
IMG_3259.JPG IMG_3262.JPG

Last edited:
Thinking of the new E-series of water mist extinguishers, as they seem the most multi-purpose and are 100% environmentally safe by the sounds of things.

Might have a 1kg BC powder as a back up.

My reservations with CO2 are they don't cool fires only disperse oxygen, so reignition is common, are ineffectual on windy days and I've been told could possibly be unsafe in very hot cabins?

Owen

The expiry date pisses me off there's usually a rusty old extinguisher to be found on trawlers that has lay forgotten at the bottom of a locker for more years than anyone can remember , but they always still work .

In case anyone doesn't know they can be refilled and given a new expiry date so we only replace when the salt turns them into a rusty eyesore .

Last edited:
What size fires are you planning on tackling? I mean, do you plan on using on your own vehicle, if so, the fire is likely to be tackled at an early stage or not at all. Maybe CO2 doesn't cool the fire, but you just stand by ready to quell anything that reignites. It does come out ice cold though so a small fire would lose some heat and of course begins to cool as soon as the fire is out. It may be it hasn't had time to attain much residual heat.

If you're allowing for tackling a car fire that you discover along the way, you are only likely to do this if there's someone trapped inside. Unless you've been there since soon after it started, it's going to be a tricky one to decide if you should tackle it or if there is any chance of saving a life. In this case the fire would be small and not taken hold enough to heat things up too much.

As an example, the pig roast I tackled had been burning for a good 3-5 minutes and people were saying to leave it. We are talking fierce flames 3 feet high and the whole length of the pig. About 5 feet (ok, 4 trotters and a tail). This was extinguished in about 10 to 15 seconds, no more. As for hot cabins, that's a seriously dangerous place to be considering entering or tackling with a fire extinguisher and would not likely result in saving any life that were trapped in there.
The other thing is hybrid cars. Even the emergency services let them burn out and the advice is not to touch one that has been in an accident as you don't know that an electrical fault has not occurred that could kill or injure you. This said, CO2 is the extinguisher to have for electrical fires. The batteries are nye on impossible to put out as it's a chemical reaction. Electric cars operate on between 400 and 600 volts DC. That's almost third rail train voltage.

To me, having an extinguisher means you can tackle things quickly without it turning into a major fire which I would not tackle and would walk away from. After all, what are you going to be left with? A trapped person is the exception of course.

Last edited:
I carry a Halon in the back, 1.5 or 2kg, can't remember without looking. It'll put out just about any type of fire and leave no mess. I've also thought that this type of extinguisher and probably CO2 also could be used to kill the engine if the turbo seals went and the motor ran away on it's own oil.
Given that you're unlikely to get fuel fires on a diesel I wouldn't bother with a powder of foam. Petrol of course is a different story.

Last edited:
How small are the small CO2 Gary ? Can you post me a link please, ive got a 600g powder but I'd prefer CO2.

My mistake, the one in the boot is co2, the smaller ones are powder (been and had a look, thought were co2 for some reason, have been fitted a couple of years now)

For me if it's a minor fire or I can do enough to get everyone to safety that's what counts. I run a petrol so a small issue can soon turn big!

I've got the regulation powder unit required by law in all cars here.

You don't get the choice of which one to carry, although as long as you have the regulation unit, you can carry those of you choosing in addition.

I had an electrical fire in the rear quarter of my 80, 7 years ago, and I was so glad I had something on board, even if it was a messy powder unit.

Seeing those flames go out was my only priority, it was very cold at the time, -10C or thereabouts, dark, miles from anywhere and I had my one year old daughter and 90 year old father-in-law on board.

I really didn't care about the mess, but it's almost impossible to get rid of after the event :lol:.

I keep the regulation one in a vertical holder mounted on the inside of the rear ambulance doors, and the older out-of-date units are stowed freestanding next to my toolbox. A couple of weeks ago, one of the spare ones went off by accident, the pin had been dislodged and something activated the trigger. It frightened me to death till I realized what had happened. Another mess to clean up :icon-rolleyes:

I'm with Shayne on the date-stamp issue, 5 years is the limit here and the old ones I carry as back-up work just as well as the conforming date unit.

I do want to get some "more appropriate" units though and mount them in the front passenger area, similar to womble's photos.

After having to carry them by law, it beggars belief that when I was in the UK, I never had one :icon-eek:.

I'd never be without one (or more) now, it saved my truck and possibly our lives all those years ago.

Interesting thread... :thumbup:

I carry a Halon in the back, 1.5 or 2kg, can't remember without looking. It'll put out just about any type of fire and leave no mess. I've also thought that this type of extinguisher and probably CO2 also could be used to kill the engine if the turbo seals went and the motor ran away on it's own oil.
Given that you're unlikely to get fuel fires on a diesel I wouldn't bother with a powder of foam. Petrol of course is a different story.
I've just read that Halon extinguishers are now banned.
https://www.fireandsafetycentre.co.uk/advice-centre/halon-fire-extinguishers/

I had an electrical fire in the rear quarter of my 80, 7 years ago, and I was so glad I had something on board, even if it was a messy powder unit.
I'd never be without one (or more) now, it saved my truck and possibly our lives all those years ago.

Interesting thread... :thumbup:
Same thing happened to me in Croatia, chap sitting in the passenger seat suddenly said we're on fire, it was the feed cable to the back of the truck so he grabbed the extinguisher and I disconnected the battery the fire went out pretty quick but if we had not had an extinguisher . . . . .
I now have one in front next to my knee and one at the back where cooking would be done and a fire blanket plus I think I'll get a C02 one as well.

"Existing owners and users of Halon 1211 portable fire extinguishers may be able to claim exemption to the EU ban for certain “Critical Uses”.
That's true but it states "Broadly speaking this includes limited applications within the aircraft industry, military / armed forces, petrochemical industry and some specific marine applications. Refilling of existing Halon systems covered by these exemptions should also be from recycled Halon stocks. Halon 1301 is the version preferred in fixed fire suppression systems and its current use is also tightly controlled although it is installed in the Channel Tunnel. The exemption can also extend to applications that can be justified on the basis of National security" so if that covers your use then you're OK.

Back