Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire pit for

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Given my aversion to the cold, can anybody recommend a good fire pit from a supplier in the UK. Lookibf for something that has removable or foldable legs, lighter than a plough disk [what we used as a BBQ in Oz] so there is an option to carry it on the rear wheel carrier and perhaps something that has a grill for it - of course that could be an after-market modification ;) . Stan at the overland forum has a couple that look ok but i'm wondering what other use? There are some online dealers selling some too - has anybody had experience with these?

I was going to suggest Stan when I started reading the thread Si... The places we have camped on the last couple of trips have been suitable for a fire directly on the ground but some thing like this would be a good addition to the armoury for when we try to camp on more grassy areas...

I have one of those Webber fire pits for using in the garden but they are a bit too big for carrying around in the truck.

I've just 'acquired' a rather large butane tank which I was going to use for another project that has been abandoned - I plan to try & get creative with that at some stage... :shock:

Just looking through the books at work.
Can find very similar to plough discs but the are used as marker discs for seed drills so the same diameter but thinner steel so lighter.
Will get some prices as dead easy to weld some removable feet onto. :thumbup:

EDIT: Just looked and how does a 560mm disc, 3.5mm thick with a dish of 50mm sound, with 3 nuts welded on the bottom that you screw long bolts into?

Paul said:
how does a 560mm disc, 3.5mm thick with a dish of 50mm sound
Pretty darn heavy!!! :p

This is getting interesting :cool:

I get spun ends done from time to time & if peeps have a different size in mind, they may be an alternative... I shall ask on a price for a similarly sized end just out of interest...

:shock: Now that is lighter than I thought it was going to be - nice one :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:thumbup: starting to sound like an ELCO special coming up. The firepits all seem to be around 50 quid or thereabouts so that is the competition. We used to have two dishes with the lower one having the coals and the upper one was for cooking. That was for a static barbie though - quite heavy.

The discs are available from about 300mm up to 700mm although the larger ones are about 8mm thick and the smaller ones are down to 2mm thick.
The ideas are racing around my head of the two disc model with three legs that go all the way from the ground, through the lower disc and screw to the bottom of the upper disc, sound about right? Or are people just after a disc with three legs on that unscrew?

I'm only looking for a simple disk with legs that I can carry easily in the truck and possibly throw a wire grill on it from time to time. The two-disk model would give me too many 70s flashbacks :character-afro: as a kid, but they do work a treat. The one my dad made stood about a metre with three legs to the ground. You would lose the odd snag down the hole if not careful though :D .

SimonD said:
You would lose the odd snag down the hole if not careful though :D .
Here's a question for theAusies, why are sausages called snags, I've often wondered about that. :confusion-confused:

Chas, it's because the Aussies have a max of four letters for any word. Like XXXX can't they can't spell 'crap lager'. Snag is their way of spelling snack, clearly.

Chris :lol:

Chris said:
Chas, it's because the Aussies have a max of four letters for any word. Like XXXX can't they can't spell 'crap lager'. Snag is their way of spelling snack, clearly.

Thanks Chris, it all becomes clear now. :lol:

:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: I'm not rising to the bait as I'm trying to keep a low profile before i get called up for the Ashes team as last man standing :sick: . We saw the ozpig at the Stafford 4wd show earlier in the year. It was a good unit but bigger than what i'm looking for. I may of course be overruled ;)

Chris said:

No Chris you are right XXXX is truly crap lager - mine's a Windhoek now :obscene-drinkingcheers: and for Aussie beer it's got to be Boags

SimonD said:
No Chris you are right XXXX is truly crap lager - mine's a Windhoek now :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Windhoek :shock:

Where do you get that? I keep seeing the ads on phone booths in my area but i cant for the life of me find anyone actually selling it.

Would murder a Windhoek now.

Back