Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fj80 auto transmission problem

Shaun

Country Flag
uk
Hi all, a friend of mine is trying to sell his late fathers 1993 4.2 80 series.
Someone has been to buy it but said it wouldn’t drive home because the auto box is faulty.
I tried it this evening and takes some getting out of 1st and doesn’t want to shift up very often, once it gets in 2nd it then changes up and goes as normal
Is there any common issues, or simple things to try first ?
Is there a electronic module for the auto box ?
Also occasionally it doesn’t even Rev up when in 1st just goes flat.
Thanks.

8B1D9A14-F50D-435A-AEFE-E25585182842.jpeg
Always good to add a pic

Hey first things to check would be oil levels, the cable next to the fuel pump going back into the gearbox. This is most likely the first and second solinodes in the bottom of the gearbox that need changing. I did all four of mine a while back not a hard job and got to test the old ones with a 12v battery to see if they open and close. The gearboxes are pretty basic and bombproof. What’s the mileage?

Thanks Michael, it’s only done 130k. Oil looks at right level and right colour doesn’t smell burnt.
Il get it back and on the ramp and check out the solenoids, thanks for your reply

There is also a common issue with the throttle position sensor cable. TPS. There is a cable that runs from the throttle linkage down to the auto box which effectively tells the box what the engine is doing revs wise. It collects water, gets stiff then rots through meaning that the box doesn't know what day it is anymore. The adjustment of the cable is quite critical so having it rusted stuck or snapped is going to create issues. It should pull out and snap back nicely. If it doesn't then that's going to be part of the problem. BTW this is NOT a kickdown cable.

Thanks Chris, feel like I’ve got something to go off now when I go back to it next week.
It runs well, mechanic owner who sadly passed away early on in the year. Every time he changed a filter he attached the lid off the box under the bonnet, it was full of them and only done 130k. Needs saving as the test of time is showing on the body hopefully the new owner restores it to its form of glory.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
D376F394-4B90-4172-B88D-A3A9064BEFC0.jpeg

Took a look at that cable, after pulling up on it this is what was revealed.
Broke frayed and full of rusty water. You where on the money Chris

Back