Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Followed a lorry load of 70 pickups on way home

JimmyLJ71

Travelling home down the A12 towards Colchester tonight and there was a lorry load of new 70 series pick ups in front of me, all kitted out with heavy tyres and snorkels , turned off at the services.

Colchester is a barrack town, are the army now using them ?

Oooh exciting! :dance:

What colour were the 70's? :think:

The army here have moved away from landies and are now using G Wagons. :icon-ugeek:

They are very popular among army/police corps. Look at the pic attached. it was about a year ago.
the Venezuelan government acquired about 600 units. A pitty that civilians can not buy them and it is only restricted to police or the army. I am posting the pic just because they are impressive. I hope toyota uk start to import them again, I think I will be the first in line. Potentially the first one to come where those in that lorry :icon-cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 148
Couldn't really tell what colour cos dark, looked like they were a sandy gloss colour with black steel wheels and snorkel's.

I think Landrover are stopping the Defender in its current form next year, the new model looks a bit soft for farmers and other people who use them without too much sympathy every day.

Might be a good time for Toyota to start importing a decent fairly basic utility vehicle such as the 70 series.
Toyota GB if your listening nows your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might be a good time for Toyota to start importing a decent fairly basic utility vehicle such as the 70 series.
Toyota GB if your listening nows your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:text-goodpost:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wonder if 2 strimmers, 2 petrol mowers, chain saw, leaf blower, tool box, and several tubs of pool chemicals would fit in one? I have 4 years to go before I sell the new van, perhaps they would be in Europe by then? If they are not then thats it, I'm retiring! Any one want to live the dream in the Dordogne????? :)

Steve

I am not sure anyone could cope, such stress! 7 days a week from April till November, and 1 day a week between! Its a tough life, but someone has to do it ;)
Steve

I wonder if 2 strimmers, 2 petrol mowers, chain saw, leaf blower, tool box, and several tubs of pool chemicals would fit in one? I have 4 years to go before I sell the new van, perhaps they would be in Europe by then? If they are not then thats it, I'm retiring! Any one want to live the dream in the Dordogne????? :)

Steve

They'd fit in a troopie!

If not I could stick the strimmers on the roof rack!
Steve

A 70series dropside or even a tipper for me if your listening Mr Toyota.

Don't get me wrong my hilux is a wonderful beast , 8 years and over 200k of trouble free motoring. But its no longer the rugged truck it should be with carpet and plastic bumpers.
The Hilux's I had in the 90's were more practical for work, no silly flimsy plastic bumpers or flimsy arch trims.

Come on Toyota you know it makes sense!!

A mate dropped by today, not seen him for a long time. Saw the cruisers on the drive and told me his boss had just bought one from Nene. He's driving to India in it. Couldn't tell me what it was but it sounded like a Troopy. Need to see if I can get a look at it.

And I've just bought a D4 commercial bugger .... Might have been very tempted by a new troopie

Several companies in the UK buy LC70 for export to Africa mainly! They are normally traded in from the Middle East.

First post here. I've been on LCOOL for a few years but I've picked up on LCCnet while in Europe. These are obviously HZJ79s, so god knows how they get them through EU emissions rules. They're not exactly Euro 6 and Toyota stopped selling them in Oz in 2006 because of emissions. I wasn't aware that they still made them in RHD. From S Africa? Anyway, as everybody on this forum probably knows, the 1HZ engine is a slug but it goes for ever (if you don't try turbocharging it). My own HDJ79 is another matter, and it's a shame that these were never sold in Europe. Standard is the 1HD-FTE engine without intercooler but mine has a VERY large intercooler and 3""exhaust. Probably produces around 170kw and 500nm of torque. We're driving it back home, or at least to Vladivostok, next year.

Just noticed that they're LHD on the Nene Overland website so could be from anywhere in Africa.

Last edited:
Back