Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Free Wheeling Hubs

Hightower

I'll come clean. I haven't actually bought a Land Cruiser yet, but I'm still looking for that perfect one. However I am an owner of a part time 4x4 Isuzu Trooper.

However I would like to ask a question whether it's possible to fit FW hubs, what effect does it have on the drivetrain and fuel consumption?

Andy

Hi Andy, I wouldn't go down the part time route with something that was designed to be full time, especially a 100. One thing is you are asking the rear diff to double its workload, stability would be affected and you would find wheelspin issues pulling out of junctions quickly.
One of the forum members has an 80 converted to 2 wheel drive and is desperate to get it back to full time as he says, " its not nice to drive".
Hope this helps.

Andy

Totally unsuitable for FW hubs. Designed purely as permanent 4 wheel drive only.

I own a 100 series with solid front diff (105 series) and i have front free wheeling hubs fitted and part time gear fitted to transfer case instead of being full time.
Personally I prefer it, steering is lighter, yes you send all the power to rear so it cops a bit more but rear diffs are a lot stronger then front so I find that a bonus, fuel consumption isn't really any different. Wheel spin when pulling out, doesn't exist unless you have horrible tires and its wet. I have Cooper STT tires and even in torrential rain I rarely ever spin a tyre.
It is a slight inconvenience having to get out to lock the hubs when going off road but usually air down anyway so no extra effort.
Be warned though your ABS light will be on whenever your hubs aren't locked in, as your cv's no longer spin the abs sensor thinks your front tires aren't moving while your rear are going at whatever speed you are travelling, so you lose ABS but you can also buy a relocation kit for them if you wanted.
Personally I haven't, I don'd mind it but when its time for rego inspection just lock the hubs in before you go in and she'll be fine.

In some parts of the world the 80 and 105 came as standard with partime 4x4 with locking hubs. I have driven a 80 a fair bit which was.fine but a didn't push it or as confident on bends in the wet.

Thanks for the replies guys. To be honest if there aren't any fuel gains to be made then there is little reason for me to fit FW hubs in my situation.

Cheers!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Freewheel hubs are really only useful where you have part-time four-wheel drive.

When in 'normal' two-wheel drive (to the rear) the front wheels are being pushed round and are turning the drive shafts, front diff and front prop shaft unnecessarily - the propshaft isn't attached to anything in the Transfer box!

Freewheel hubs stop you wasting power by churning all these dis-connected drive shafts.

In a '100' you have permanent four wheel drive. If you fit freewheeling hubs to the front the Transfer Box is still going to drive the front propshaft, diff and drive shafts. The Centre Diff has to be locked in order to get drive to the rear axle.

You are not going to save anything as all the transmission components are spinning as normal the only difference is that its the rear axle turning the front wheels instead of the front propshaft.

I had freewheeling hubs on the front of a Series III Land Rover - which had part-time four wheel drive. I hardly ever set them to 'free' as it was a pain having to get out and lock them whenever I turned into a field :lol:.

Back