Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

French Trip July '15

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
So, off we go again. This year we decided to go to the southwest, taking in Barcelona, and then over to Provence. This is our planned route. Stopping in with my cousin in Hove on the way... Comes up as Shoreham on the map :think:

Route_zpsdn6r5qnc.jpg

Camping all the way. To be honest I'm a novice at green laning, although the truck sees plenty of fields and the like. Would anyone have a recommendation for a good place to look for lanes around the Perpignan side of the Pyrenees?? Have an IGN map, but hard to tell what's a tarmac road from a lane, as I've looked some up on Google and they're either private access or fully paved. Maybe somebody has travelled a few before and could point us in the right direction.

Last year's laning attempt was foiled by a UJ, and we have almost no public access lanes in Ireland, just a few bog tracks that you'd bring a corolla down with care.

Cheers for any help!

Last edited:
Enjoy!! Currently sitting enjoying the 29 degree weather at the blue dot NNW of St Tropez. Weather is fantastic :)
uploadfromtaptalk1435247172223.png

Nice spot Gary, hope you've been around the gorges... Fantastic place that. Will probably do some shopping in Decathlon in Draguignan.

due 37 & 38 next week......still gotta work though :(
if it doesnt say no vehicles or is blocked, fill yer boots - hunters use the lanes all the time (not season now), so just use them!

Lots of lanes in Massif Central
In area between to east of a line between clermont-Fernand, Millau towards a line N-S
And valence to Lyon

I.e. Between your routes across France

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers, it's unusual for us to just wander up a laneway. Land ownership is a hugely sensitive issue here, and rights of way are twice as bad. Best thing is to go exploring I guess!! Can't wait now. Leaving on the 2nd

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got lots of trails off this site for Spanish side of Pyrenees

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/home.do

Downloadable as Gpx files. You can filter when searching using the 4x4 jeep icon to look for 4x4 trails.

I could give direct links, but you need to do a bit of your own research to make it an adventure ;)

That's a great looking site, thanks Andy. Exactly the thing to get me started. That's my evenings for the next week planned!! Totally agree on it being more fun of you find it yourself.

To get you started :)

Go to world map on the wikiloc site, the. In activities pull down on left select "off roading" check box then zoom in on map to area of interest and it will show you location of trails, you get more info on left panel on trails, you need to register to download the Gpx Gps tracks for them.

Pretty much all the trails I have bought roadbooks for in Europe are covered on this wikiloc site,
But roadbooks have a bit more info and link the trails into one route. Saying that some of the wiki loc gps traces are multi day routes as well as single day ones

Have fun

e14d14e6e5cfad125792baa05844359f.jpg

Bob if you are at all close to Les Arcs the Hyper U has the cheapest diesel between here and probably Spain at €1.175/litre which is 21c cheaper than motorway prices and 5c cheaper than we've seen anywhere else - and we've been looking. Just filled up the Long Ranger and main tanks in prep to head home tomorrow ...

And it's damn hot here :) last 3 days have been 34 - 37 degrees and fairly wind-free. Glorious!!!

Drive safe.

Cheers Gary, just at Dover port now. The M2/A2 was a dream, no traffic at all. M25 to Dover in 55 min...

Wow 41℃!!! My cruiser didn't come with aircon!! Windows down and head out like a dog it is!

Looking forward to getting over now and away from the uncertainty!!

are you getting thunder storms every morning as well - little drop of rain, but much electrical action! only 38 this afternoon, and its been pool day, so ....................I still havent been in one this year and I look after 34 of them!

Nope no storms. Just north of Lyon now in a nice little camp site that SWMBO found for us with pool and restaurant. Saw 45 degrees on the Arduino guage coming through Lyon - that was warm!!

Jeeezz!!! That's ridiculously warm. Big drive today because of the Dover delays. While traffic was a breeze, the ferry was delayed and ran to Dunkerque. Had hoped to reach Orleans last night, but just south of Lille had to do. About 640 miles. We'll sleep tonight!!

Where abouts is camp site Gary? Always interested to have recommendations in that area. We went round East side of Lyon last year, much lighter traffic than the route that goes through Lyon

Currently at services de la Lozere, about 100km north of Millau. Holy fark it's warm!! Got up to 40℃ around Clermont. Truck performing well, transfer box running a bit hot from time to time, and I hear a bit of a squiggly noise here and there, but nothing constant. Cruising well at 90mph.

Too hot for me, you are at the area where I thought a few years ago " must come back and spend some time around here" and we did. Just that, last sept/oct and had a good trip camping and driving trails in La Lozere

Currently at services de la Lozere, about 100km north of Millau. Holy fark it's warm!! Got up to 40℃ around Clermont. Truck performing well, transfer box running a bit hot from time to time, and I hear a bit of a squiggly noise here and there, but nothing constant. Cruising well at 90mph.

Hi, 90mph! , the speed cameras work in France and I beleive they have a collaboration in Europe now which enables them to collect the fines, I may be wrong in that it may be different for your home country, hope you have a great holiday, I love France, ( and Spain) best regards, Bill Westley

I wouldn't have pushed my old 90series at 90mph in 40degC at 1000m asl and those big autoroute climbs in the Massif Central. That will be why the transfer box is hot :)

Back