Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fridge question.

wobbly

Garage
This year I used a 12v Halfords type fridge on the Portuguese trip.

It seems to be the type that maintains a set temp difference between outside and fridge, mor elike a coolbox really.

Problem was that the outside temp was in the late 20's, so the fridge temp wasnt cool enough.

It was cheap, but not really satisfactory.

Are there any good value 12 fridges? Or am I destined to pay hundreds to solve the cooling issue?

I would be happy using a coolbox filled with ice during the day, but need somewhere to keep fresh food chilled at the campsite.

Any suggestions welcome.

Pete

Pete, you need to dig deep and buy something like a National Luna 50L.

If I had the spare sheckels.....

With just two of us going, I may even buy a tabletop jobbie, 240v, and leave it at the site, use a coolbox during the day.

The halfords one is perfect for the 300 days a year in the UK when its not hot, but it didnt really work in Portugal.

Tent ahead on the list at the moment, and a camp-bed, and a good (and I mean good, not adequate), chair.

So funds going to be limited....

Pete

I used a table top freezer, and a separate table top fridge.

Couldn't fault them.

For the 1000's of miles they lived in the back of the Land Cruiser, the inverter powered them perfectly.

When we took them with us on our latest holiday, when we arrived on site, we simply stacked them on top of each other, and left them under the roll out sun-awning.

They cost about £80 each new.

Fridge and Freezer 1.jpg

Gra.

I used a table top freezer, and a separate table top fridge.

Couldn't fault them.

For the 1000's of miles they lived in the back of the Land Cruiser, the inverter powered them perfectly.

When we took them with us on our latest holiday, when we arrived on site, we simply stacked them on top of each other, and left them under the roll out sun-awning.

They cost about £80 each new.

View attachment 10021

Gra.

I also use one of the 24v tabletop freezers when I go fishing in Scotland. I buy the bait frozen from my local tackle shop (much cheaper than buying it up there) stack it in the freezer and run it from an inverter in the back of the LC until we get to the campsite which has 240v hookup. The relatively small inverter I have has no problems powering it. Mine was around £70. You'll have to pay a premium to get a 12v freezer anything like as good. JMO

Going through the same debate at the moment for out short haul overlander build - looking at 12/240 compressor fridge freezers as an option - prices from around £350 upwards, but can go north of a grand quickly. For something as simple as keeping st*t cool this seems to be an unreasonably complicated decision process LOL! I'm looking for something I can run off grid via solar for a while if needs be.

Peter (IOM) - will arrange to swing by and check your set up when its convenient - though the price of the Luna blows the budget somewhat... :wtf:

Presume the Halfords jobby was a 12v absorption fridge? They tend to be cheaper and much less efficient from everything I've read to date.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its the type that reduces the temp relative to outside, so ok in UK, but in a hot country not so good.

£80 for a 240v with a small ice compartment, left hooked up at the site, seems the way forward. I have a club inverter I could set up as well, although not intending to run it inside the truck.

Pete

You need forget about the absorption type, which are greatly influenced by external temperatures.

Go for a compressor every time.

Sure the 12 volt dc, and the 24 volt dc will command premium prices.

That's one of the biggest reasons I opted for strait 240 volt AC type.
Freezer 1.jpg

Fridge was the same size, just had a small ice box fastened to the internal roof of the machine.

Gra.

What about the Mobicool B40 Hybrid, Thermoelectric on 12v, so 20 degs below ambient and compressor when on mains hookup so 3/4 deg no matter what temp outside.
Looks to be about £200 and 40 litre.
Got one and it worked a treat for 2 weeks in the South of France.
Just need to work out how to have it running of the 2nd battery and then switch over to mains hookup auto at the campsite, will still staying in the LC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter (IOM) - will arrange to swing by and check your set up when its convenient - though the price of the Luna blows the budget somewhat... :wtf:

Dave, no problem the 75 is at the site this week...

What about the Mobicool B40 Hybrid, Thermoelectric on 12v, so 20 degs below ambient and compressor when on mains hookup so 3/4 deg no matter what temp outside.
Looks to be about £200 and 40 litre.
Got one and it worked a treat for 2 weeks in the South of France.
Just need to work out how to have it running of the 2nd battery and then switch over to mains hookup auto at the campsite, will still staying in the LC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd spotted these too - seem to get a reasonable review too. For what I have in mind the fridge will be permanently wired up in the van, so wondering how well this would work in practice.

Peter - when you say "on site" - do you mean the garage? You there Saturday?

In all seriousness have you looked at quality passive coolboxes?

I use a coleman xtreme:
http://www.camping-intl.com/details...=google_base&gclid=CIT9iZXHl7sCFeESwwodkzkANg

Performance wise it cannot be faulted, When I went to the alps it kept food frozen for 3 days, in the back of a hot car, in France, and kept me in cold beer for 3 weeks.

I have a waeco 3 way fridge, which is now redundant. With a good passive cooler (coleman xtreme / igloo maxcold) all you need is a source of ice every third day, and you've got ice cold drink / food etc. I use a combination of freezer packs (re-frozen on campsites), bought ice, and cheekily freezing 2l bottles of water / milk overnight in village shops (just buy it and ask!)

Bear in mind the coolboxes are big externally for their interior volume due to the thickness of the insulation. Do not get them confused with your usual coolboxes performance wise.

In all seriousness have you looked at quality passive coolboxes?

I use a coleman xtreme:
http://www.camping-intl.com/details...=google_base&gclid=CIT9iZXHl7sCFeESwwodkzkANg

Performance wise it cannot be faulted, When I went to the alps it kept food frozen for 3 days, in the back of a hot car, in France, and kept me in cold beer for 3 weeks.

I have a waeco 3 way fridge, which is now redundant. With a good passive cooler (coleman xtreme / igloo maxcold) all you need is a source of ice every third day, and you've got ice cold drink / food etc. I use a combination of freezer packs (re-frozen on campsites), bought ice, and cheekily freezing 2l bottles of water / milk overnight in village shops (just buy it and ask!)

Bear in mind the coolboxes are big externally for their interior volume due to the thickness of the insulation. Do not get them confused with your usual coolboxes performance wise.

I didn't realise you could get decent quality ones that cheap. Thanks for the link.

Compressor fridges are still MUCH more convenient ... but you certainly pay for that convenience in many ways.

I didn't realise you could get decent quality ones that cheap. Thanks for the link.

Compressor fridges are still MUCH more convenient ... but you certainly pay for that convenience in many ways.

I didn't pick that link because it was cheap; It was the first on google with a half decent description!

I have the 36 qt cooler, but should have gone bigger:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/50qt-extreme-wheeled-cooler-p175405?gclid=CP6m1PudmbsCFUkUwwodNGcAXA (good price too!)

There is no cheap option to give you reliable refrigeration in hotter climates.

Yes there are cheap coolers, but as you found out they don't cope well with high ambient temp.

the table top fridges work but the take up a huge amount of space and when you open the door all the cool air pours out, and takes time to recool the contents.

The waeco range is probably the budget deal, and engel or national luna are probably the top of the line.

but don't underestimate the cost, besides the fridge or fridge freezer you will need a mounting plate, slide mount and insulating jacket if you want to do the whole hog.

I have my eye on one of these Pricey, but look OK. Anybody have ay experience?

Steve

Steve, thermo electric coolers will only ever cool to about 20c below ambient and use quite a bit of power whilst doing it.

Back