Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front axle bearing

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
Im not sure but think one of my axle bearing may need replacing.
Driving down the motorway around 70mph and getting a low humming noise.
Dont think it a wheel bearing as it sounds like noisy tyres on Tarmac.

My question is how many bearings does your front axle have and has anyone replaced there's.
Any pictures or diagrams will be much appreciated.

P, s my car has just reached 221000 and still pulls like a train.

I love this car and money is no object as plan on keeping it as i will not get better.
Been tempted by
Audi allroad
Xc60
Q5
Vw toureg
but not getting that feeling you get with a landcruiser.

Thanks guys.

Have you posted on the correct bit of the forum, because the 120 doesn't have a front axle. If it's not a wheel bearing (jack it up and wobble the wheel side to side), it could be a CV joint, although I don't know what that would sound like, or the front diff, which does have bearings in it and would rumble. When did you last change the oil in the diff?

Rob, Tony has definately got a 120, from his previous regular posts on here. Just a slip there in trying to identify area noise is coming from I think. You're probably nearer the mark, so maybe Tony will come back with more info.

Hey Tony
I have just replaced the front wheel bearings on my 120 after 199000 miles, the drivers side was rumbling and i was told its a wheel bearing by a local mechanic, so i changed out for new and then i could hear the passenger side so changed it also.
I would identify it as a rumbling sound that was difficult to identify the source. Easy to confuse with tyre noise at first, but it gets much worse.
At that mileage it is likely to be time to change, unless you have changed them before.
I found the inner oil seals were buggered, thus letting in water, they fit into the housing that the bearing bolts to, and seal onto the drive shaft.
I bought the complete bearing housings from Roughtrax, fairly certain they come with the inner oil seal but worth checking to be sure. No pressing in and out of bearing, the complete housing just bolts on fairly straightforward job, however the bearing nut requires a large socket and a lot of force, long breaker bar, to shift. There are a few you tube vids with all the details.

Sorry guys my apologies.
I was not sure if it had a diff or axle.
The noise im hearing is only around 60 to 70 mph.
I dont hear any humming noise around town and drives all good.
My landcruiser 90 had a similar noise just a bit louder.
I never got to find the problem with my 90 as sold it on and is still going to this day.
Thanks for all your input guys as will get it checked.
I no people say if not broke dont fix.
My moto is if you no your car then you no it is developing a fault even if its small.

:text-bravo::flags-wavegreatbri:

I have something similar on my 120 and it's been slowly getting louder for the last two years. I have had both front wheel bearings changed and it's still there. Defo on the drive train as it get louder with speed, but buggered if I know what it is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had to replace the rear diff bearing on my last 120, took a while to pin the noise down and some reluctance to do the job but loved it once i got stuck in!
Interestingly enough i had front wheel bearing go and i was adamant i knew what side it was and got a mechanic to check, replaced the bearing and it was the opposite side, did a little article on that one as i had great fun when a rogue bearing had the reluctor ring (think thats its name?) missing for the bearing, spent ages messing with ABS sensors, in the end i checked it with a handy card that showed the reluctor magnetic pattern.
Nothing worse than a rumble that you cannot pinpoint!
Good luck hunting it.

Front wheel bearing noise tends to be affected by braking as it centralised the wheel. If you hear the noise, brake lightly and it goes then it's a good chance it's the outer bearing. if not then maybe it's with the cv joint or the diff output bearing.

Oddly enough on mine the noise goes away when slightly turning to the right like when changing lanes on the motorway

Back