Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Diff Oil Leak, Advice Please.

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
Hi,

After a 400 mile round trip yesterday my front diff has sprung a leak.

It is leaking from the o/s drive shaft seal, however on closer inspection there appears to be some lift/wiggle where the drive shaft goes into the axle, can I assume there is wear in the supporting bearing and has caused the leak?

The otherside (the end with the long tube) has the same amount of wiggle but is totally dry.

Has anyone ever tackled the job and can the bearings and seals be changed in situ or will it be an axle out job?

Thanks in advance.

I replaced both left & right front diff side seals with OEM ones the O/S seal (leaking one) was badly worn compared to the new replacement so I felt happier to see this, plus I noted they have to be inserted to the correct position in the housing not driven all the way home.

I have covered a few 100 miles since and all is settled in nicely no leaks but I am still surprised that the CV's are not rigid once installed to the diff.

Last job was to clean and repack the CV shafts and fit new rubber gaiters the grease inside had turned to liquid goo and was a creamy colour due to ingress of water I suppose.

Back