Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front differential

hi chris
i have worded that last question a bit stupidly. she is manual i dont think i have mentioned that.
sorry i meant when stationary its 50/50 if she goes into reverse or not and makes a horrible crunching noise and wont move this worries me incase there is more to this.or would stuffed diff cause that.
she wont let you put her in reverse unless she is stationary hubby struggled with that when we first got her.
as you say it is academic and i have got a stuffed diff i suppose i am just looking to appoint blame as i wasnt driving her.
niki

Spindrift has had this problem recently when we (he) broke his 90 in wales. We don't actually know why it doesn't like reverse. He's definitely done something nasty to his front diff as well and the symptoms are the same as yours. But he was battering up the side of a Welsh mountain at the time. We need to compare the findings. But until we have something to go on, it's bit tricky.

Chris

thanks chris,
that has appeased me somewhat,at least it sounds as if its only the diff.
i could probably accept this better if i had been off-roading but as far as i am aware dragon was on the motorway at the time.
once i have more to go i will let you know.
niki

The possibilities are almost endless aren't they. Could be a blown diff from rough treatment, or it could have already had play in the pinion due to wear which has allowed it (the pinion) to move into positions where a relatively minor torque event had terminal consequences. Or the pinion play could be a complete coincidence and it's a broken drive shaft / stripped splines ...

hi chris
i have had a message from karl and his diff is available to me ,the only thing he is not sure about is will it be ok for my dragon as his is automatic and mine is manual and he said you might know.
thanks niki.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Yes, looks like it is. Part number (subject to exact confirmation) looks like 43403-35030 Same both sides. You will need more than just that, there are little clips etc which are pennies. But that's the main part. Do remember that sitting here I can't give an accurate diagnosis only advice on what it is most likely to be. It's a bit like ringing you doctor and saying my leg hurts, what do you think it is? Unless he know that there is a dog with its teeth round your ankle, it's going to be a bit vague.

But we are here to help. If the diff is OK and I suspect it should be, none of this is rocket engineering.
If you don't know a spanner from a strawberry then this is going to look pretty daunting.

Chris
This might help

Screenshot2010-12-22at232409.jpg

Hi Chris,

Am just wondering. I just recently replaced a right outer CV joint and am not aware of the part numbers...is the pic above the same with a PRADO 90 series V6? My unit is a full time FWD...
I am planning to order another set in the future. The part numbers will greatly help.

Thanks!
lekiboy

Hi Leki, really have to say that I don't know. if I had to guess then I'd say that they were all pretty much the same drive train on all 90 series regardless of engine and gearbox. Toyota tend to make less pert options than people like Ford for instance. An outer CV tends to be an outer CV. But you need to check this out on ToyoDIY. They have all the parts listings. That is where the parts pic is taken from.

Niki, you'll need to do the same really for the diff. Mine was a SWB manual too - good choice!. Needs a search on Toyo to compare LWB and SWB. The front of a 90 and a 95 are identical. It's only once you get past the front doors that things are different.

OK. Had a look on Toyo for you. Outwardly, the diff casing is identical for any Colorado / Prado that I searched for. 41101-35131 is the same everywhere.
But, inside you can have two different diff rations. 4:1 and 4:3 these ARE different. Furthermore, it seems that depending on model, there are different part numbers for these two ratios in different models. I think that what we need from Karl is the Vin number off the broken vehicle so that I can check. And your Vin number too for a cross match. Yours should be fairly simple as it is the same as mine was. As I had to order a new diff for it, I can check what the ratio actually was.

Chris

thanks chris for the time and effort you are spending on my problem.
i will contact karl and ask him for the vin numberof the cruiser he is breaking.
niki

Niki, think nothing of it. That's what we are here for. Problems with cruisers are rare and when someone is in distress we all rally around to help. Yours is not a trifling matter such as 'How do I turn the wipers on and off?' or ' What is this light on my dashboard?' You have a genuine problem that we can all learn from in solving.

We'll get you there eventually.

Chris

Chris said:
Hi Leki, really have to say that I don't know. if I had to guess then I'd say that they were all pretty much the same drive train on all 90 series regardless of engine and gearbox. Toyota tend to make less pert options than people like Ford for instance. An outer CV tends to be an outer CV. But you need to check this out on ToyoDIY. They have all the parts listings. That is where the parts pic is taken from.

Chris
Hi chris,
Thanks for the help. i will try to research the part numbers and let you all know.
leki

Chris said:
Hard to call, but being there at the time - standing next to it, it certainly didn't sound like ring and pinion. Nowhere near enough thrash to blow that and there was a distinct 'pop' when it went. Both inner boots were off, with grease everywhere. The torpid things were both floppy. One really quite badly, the other still engaged on the c clip for sure. It did sound like splines though and this may explain forward drive but not reverse.

Chris

Chris is it just me or are you standing next to a lot of these trucks that suffer transmittion failure??? LoL sabotage from an 80 series owner! LoL

Dave

No Dave, I'm usually IN them! :lol: :lol:

Chris

hi guys
the dragon wagon saga continues, new front diff has been fitted and she now drives but there is a gawd awful rumbling sound and vibration on acceleration coming from her.i am totally gutted thought i was going to be mobile again. there must be more going on than than just a busted diff.the unfortunate thing was not driving her when she got sick so i dont know what exactly happened.more diagnostics required unfortunately.
niki

hi guys
the dragon wagon is back on the road and i am mobile again thank goodness.it was only a busted diff.
the gawd awful rumbling noise was loose wheel nuts :lol: ....hubby had a revelation at 2am this morning..once he took dragon off the ramp he forgot to tighten the wheel nuts...what a plonker!!!!! :oops: so have a good laugh at this one. :lol:
thank you everybody for all the help and support you gave me while my baby was off the road. :thumbup:
niki&miki

Ahh, looks like you have caught the Land Cruiser virus. 2 am you say, lucky you got any sleep at all.

Glad it's back on the road. it all went smoothly as a transplant then.

Pics always good.

Chris

definately caught the lc bug,i am delighted to have her back again.
everybody keeps asking me why i want to drive an old jeep when i have been driving about in an brand new car...they just dont understand.
now the diff is in she is driving better than she ever did.thanks karl.

i have been to the garage today and stripped the busted diff,it appears the bearing collapsed and that has caused the problem,i have taken pics will upload them once i have taken them off the camera .

JEEP! You've bought a JEEP? And I thought you were so happy with the Land Cruiser. So, you've sold it then. What a shame

Ahh well, there are plenty of JEEP forums around I am sure. :roll:

Good job you got it all fixed before you sold it. :lol:

Sorry Niki, forum rule number 23. We don't call them JEEPS.

Chris

now i have driven you mad with my diff problem,next problem is how do i upload piccies.
niki

Back