Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front runner roof rack for an 80

Nice one Warren. I shall declare an interest in that for what it's worth. I shall bid as long as it doesn't go stupid.

I'd prefer that one to the AO that I have already. Can't stop anyone bidding - we've been through all that pain, but I have a genuine interest.

C

Not trying to put anyone off, but I'm not so keen on these. My mate had one on his LR, and the cross bars deflect a fair bit when loaded, like walking on them for example. This is due to the absence of longitudinal beams to form a grid and provide the support for heavy loads. It'll take them, it just moves a bit more in the process.

Me personally, I prefer my kit over engineered where possible. I've have had two Ali Survivor roof racks on two of my vehicles and they have been 100% rock solid.

Fair point Scott. I was rather hoping that the roof tent bars would perform that function. They sit flat on the rack running end to end so they should tie it together. I don't envisage anything but soft bags and things going up at the front. It should be OK I'd have thought. But it's not mine yet of course.

I have had one of these front runners roof racks and they are the lower end of the scale in terms of strength. also the cross bars make alot more noise then if the bars go from to back. front runner did a mod where they have a piece of metal bent at 90 deg to stop the noise. i wouldnt pay anymore then the starting bis for this.
i picked up mine for £250.
i have since got rid of that rach as i didnt like it that much and got a patriot now so much better made.
the patriot is alot easier to mod as well.

stu

I have one, it works well - yes the cross bars are flexible but still plenty strong enough.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some interesting and very helpful stuff there folks. Thank you.

C

What stumog said the FR slats run across the vehicle and are very noisy - you need to get the wind deflector too really. The ones of choice in ZA where they're made seem to be (in order of preference) African Outback / Big Country (same company now) then the Hannibal and then the FrontRunner ones ...

But if it's what you want then go for it !

Looking at the pros and cons, I have to say I am going off this one. The Direct 4x4 one isn't much more brand new and is meshed. I have had a rack on for 3 years now and other than be a place to put my tent I haven't used it. I am thinking that (for ) me a rack isn't very necessary. I could mount the tend on bars but I don't like that at all. So, any rack doesn't need to do much. Currently the AO one is more rack than I really need. OK crossing the Kalahari, I might want to put stuff up there, but when's that ever going to happen?

Back