Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front seats

Dave Burgess

I can remember if this has been on here before, but it is a fairly common topic on Mud.

My seats are showing their age, there was a repair in the dvr's seat cushion when I got the truck and there foam is having a crumbling issue on both cushions. The seats are still quite comfortable but how long they remain so is a question.

I spoke to Ian some time ago about an idea to get new covers and or base foams or seats and it seems that there is no longer a stock or prod run for these trim items.

So, what to do?

Chat with Karl and the others about a new set of old seats with fewer arse miles on them? Investigate after-market seats (never been overly happy with these in days gone by)? Find an alternative OE seat either in the Toyo range or else where.....?

I'm not after any too special, like the internal massage 27-way adjustable seats in some of Clarkson's Mercs, but a step up from the Isri that I sit on in the work truck each day (though that is quite comfy). I'd like arm rests, but not fussed about leather...

Any suggestions or experiences out there?

Would the seats from a 100 or a 120 fit? These must be more readily available....

From what is in the various threads on Mud, the 100 seats are too wide, and the 120 a very different floor design. I'm not averse to a suitable sub-frame, but if there are easier fits then I'd sooner try them.

I've never been lucky enough to spend any length of time in a 120, and only UN spec poverty 100s so I don't claim to know how comfy they are.

My plan is to use leather from the last row of seats to have the front ones professionally rebuilt. At some point that is.

Chris

I had my drivers seat retrimed by a local firm who restore vintage car interiors.
Cost £40
Before.
Various194.jpg

And after
Various221.jpg

I remember you having that done JM - very nice job for that sort of money :cool:

I have looked around locally but not found anyone yet.. :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Go to your local bus or coach company and find out where they get seats repaired.
It is usually a small back street firm who know what they are doing and can turn a job around in a short time.
The one near me does classic cars aswell as commercial vehicles and they do a fantastic job.
When I was coach driving, my boss sent me there with my drivers seat. I suffer from back pain so they restuffed the seat to suit me and recovered it. It was so comfy after that :thumbup:

WOW JM, that's superb!

Hmm, time to find that repair shop I think.

Chris

Bit far from you i think Chris, it's in Hemel Hempstead in Herts. lol

Hi Chris,if you want someome reccomended,I've just had 6 front drivers LC seats (60 and80's ) refurbed at BIELAWSKI'S in Sheffield. (you've probably heard of them). The standard of work was the same as Joinermans.
Good turnaround and helpful.Very reasonable rates too.
Tel no.01142448033
I hope this may be of help to others.

Cheers buddy. Nope, I am sure I would have remembered that name! I will look into that. Really would like my seats tarting up.

Nice one. I think that there is an auto upholsterer here in Chesterfield which I might look at first, but Sheffield's pretty handy.

Chris

Have been suffering from lower back pain of late so went to work on the front drivers seat.

Height wasn't satisfactory, so I got hold of some flat steel, drlled 2 holes 40 mm appart and mounted them on the front brackets.

The rear brackets couldn't be adapted in the same way, so 40 mm of decent thickwalled pipe was used as a spacer. The original bolts weren't long enough so retapped with M10 and used some stainless threaded bar and nuts.

Seat sits more trucklike now and still have some headroom left.
Seat needs to be reconditioned in the future, has seen a little too much miles for full comfort.

Back