Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front tie rod ends

fridayman

Garage
How do I undo the ball joint without a huge bloody ball joint breaker? I have bought 2 that aren't big enough and don't want to spend any more money on tools for this job.

Is your impact device suitably rated? Or do you just need a bigger hammer??? :lol:

I used my BFH, but started getting worried that I might damage something else if I hit it any harder.

I generally use the hinged type that apply pressure to the threaded section. Nip it up and leave it a bit. Tap the side of the ball joint with a hammer and tighten a bit more - repeat till it pops. If I don't have to salvage the ball joint, I just use one of those forked types and a RBFH.

I have had to heat them before now and then cool with WD40. Then tighten. Just don't hit the top of the threads. I save old castellated nuts to stick on and protect the tread if I am reusing the joint. You can give a little kiss with the mallet if you need to in that case.

Chris

I was worried about using heat in case I destroyed the rubber sealing bit and still couldn't get them off, but I think I will try the heat trick (which I am getting quite good at on this truck).

Back