Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front wheel bearing failure suspected .

Shayne

Guru
Been pulling to the left a bit recently and I suspected the tracking needed done but today on a 20 mile run I heard a sort of Brrrrr sound coming from the front passenger wheel twice . Does this remind anyone of their own wheel bearing failure ? I can't think of anything else that might explain both the slight pull to the left and the noise ?

Been pulling to the left a bit recently and I suspected the tracking needed done but today on a 20 mile run I heard a sort of Brrrrr sound coming from the front passenger wheel twice . Does this remind anyone of their own wheel bearing failure ? I can't think of anything else that might explain both the slight pull to the left and the noise ?

I've had the unfortunate experience of wheel bearing failure three times, I can't recall hearing a noise but then my hearing is not 100% I did feel a rumble through the steering and I also felt a sort of wander a bit like a soft tyre but by then it's too late. Try doing the 12/6 & 3/9 rock (Hmm, should put that to music :icon-rolleyes:)

I just jacked it up a gave it a wiggle but cant detect any play in it at all ?

While I was at it I decided to tighten the fan belt which gives a slight squeak now and then and snapped the bloody nut :doh: , don't suppose anyone has a spare knocking about :pray:

I just jacked it up a gave it a wiggle but cant detect any play in it at all ?

While I was at it I decided to tighten the fan belt which gives a slight squeak now and then and snapped the bloody nut :doh: , don't suppose anyone has a spare knocking about :pray:

Sorry i cant help with the wheel Bearing.

Was it the long M6 bolt on the alternator?

Hi

Could it be the brake binding on the nearside?

This seems to be the downside of running 1990's trucks, the amount of noises to listen to and worrying if they herald cataclysmic events!

Pete

How do Shayne, Good to see you back. Hope you last trip went well and earned you lots of cash to spend on your cruiser.
As for wheelbearing I would be quite doubtful, I replaced both of mine las month trying to narrow down a problem and even after the best part of 200K they looked like new.

I would also have thought that Mr T would have picked up on something like that when you took it in a couple of months ago.

IMHO i would say it is more likely to be brakes binding or play in a UJ, when the one in myy rear prop went I caused all sorts of weird and wonderful characteristics.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Silvercruiser yes it was the M6 bolt about 5 inches long , I didn't even put any pressure on it coz it looked free and clean but a twist of the wrist and it just split in two ?

Hi Chris thanks for the greeting and touch wood all is back on track with the boat but only time will tell . With regards to the brakes binding surely even the most rudimentary service would have the brakes checked . I originally suspected i'd lost a balance weight off the passenger wheel causing a tremor and a pull to the left . Then the noise made me suspect the wheel bearing , but with no discernible play while jacked up I think you may have it with the UJ .

Sticking brakes can happen in the blink of an eye mate. All it takes is a bit of dirt ingress under the boot to stop it pulling back in. But if these things where there before the service then as I said I would be looking at ujs maybe even inner track rods or worn steering rack bushes

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

She was perfect before the service and only slightly better after it , the fault has developed within the last thousand miles which I've covered in a month .

Silvercruiser yes it was the M6 bolt about 5 inches long , I didn't even put any pressure on it coz it looked free and clean but a twist of the wrist and it just split in two ?

H .

Yep i did exactly the same. I was lucky enough to find a long enough bolt in work so cant help you with sourcing one. but i do know its high tensile. Did you slacken the secondary bolt that locks the long one into position?

Yep i did exactly the same. I was lucky enough to find a long enough bolt in work so cant help you with sourcing one. but i do know its high tensile. Did you slacken the secondary bolt that locks the long one into position?

I didn't slacken the secondary bolt but I looked for it honest I did :oops: . High tensile ! looking at it i'd say it was aluminium and it didn't snap as such , fudge would have offered more resistance .

If I can't find a bolt to fit on Ebay theres plenty of sellers on there that will make bolts to whatever size you want .

Last edited:
Well theres a valuable lesson learnt . Ive been under the truck trying to rattle everything looking for lose play and finding none . So I decided to sort the simple things first . I went and got the wheels balanced which instantly fixed the pull to the left . However this still did not explain the noise , so deciding the only thing to do was start taking it to bits until I found something (anything) that didn't look quite right . In my mind I was saying wheel off , caliper off and see where we go from there . Lazily reluctant to start I thought sod it I will have another muck about with the fan belt before I start coz once my hands are dirty I will happily mess about all day . I gave the belt a squirt of GT85 penetrating oil to encourage a squeal and see if any particular pulley was not being driven by the belt . And guess what ........... my Mrs jumped up and said that's the noise she heard from my passenger wheel !

So wheels balanced and a new fan belt and all's well .

I think the moral of the story is sort the simple things first and never trust a simple thing (ie a woman) :lol:

Last edited:
To avoid confusion the fan belt adjuster bolt is M8 and about 140mm long .

Last edited:
Back