Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Wheel Studs.

V8 or be Late

Had my wheels refurbished recently and when re-balancing them the tyre fitters broke two wheel studs on the front drivers side wheel.!! Does anyone know if it is a big job to replace them.? does the remaining stub just knock out with a punch and hammer.? OR do I have to remove the hub from the axle..?? Is it best to get original ones from TOYOTA.? And is it best to replace all 12 on both front wheels.? Any idea what they cost each or for a set of 12.?? Thanks for any advice in advance.!!

IIRC and its been a while since I did a front one It's not too bad of a job. Jack up safely etc, wheel off, brake calliper off. There should be enough room now to access the rear of the hub. They should knock out without too much bother with the good old adjustable screwdriver.

When it comes to replacement I tried Milners ones but fount them a poor fit (Others have had better results I may have just got one from a bad batch. Last time I got some from my local main dealer I think they were about a fiver each but Simon Holton may well be able to sort you a better price on 12
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/45097-Simon-Holton-Gen-Toyota-Parts

Hi i can see your desperate for an answer so i will try my best to recall what i've read on here as a member when others have had the same problem . Changing all studs coz one broke is not what most do . Genuine Toyota studs are likely made in the same factory as anyone else who supply them they just cost more ! And yes from what i recall a big hammer is the usual precision tool for removing/replacing the broken stud . Of course you will need more room to get the new stud in than you will to get the broken stud out but you should be able to see for yourself what , if anything , needs to be removed . Hope this helps i'm sure someone who has done the job before will be along soon to clarify .

haha Chris answered before i posted .

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. I will get a quote from main Toyota dealer to be sure to have the right ones and if it costs 60 for the 12 I will be happy cos I got 4 new BFG,s to go on before I go back to work in Holland and dont want to pay the very very expensive repair costs over there if anything goes wrong with wheels coming off or doing damage to refurbed wheels,!! Thanks again .!!!

Hi Shayne, the reason I want to replace the 12 is because the probable cause for the failure of the 2 was because of over-tightening with an air gun at tyre shop and Im afraid of it happening again.!! So in future I will torque them up myself to the specified 113 NM .! Risk is that the other 10 could be already weakened, the 2 on friday sheared because they were weak and broke. Thanks for the advice.!!!

you may find new ones are longer than the old ones! When I snapped one off last year the new replacement (Milners) was longer for the front, but the same as the studs on the front!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys for all your help.! I got it sorted, went to main Toyota dealer today and he had 3 in stock so I got the 3 and it cost only 11 pound with the VAT, They were original Toyota and exact same length, simple to change and only took a sharp knock with a centre punch and small hammer. While I had the disc off I painted the inside of dust cover with zinc primer and 2 coats of black so no chance of rust. While I had the front up I removed the other disc on the passengers side and also zinc and black so to save any problems in future. It will be well dried in the morning so im gonna Wax-oil them both and refit calipers and wheels.! Only snag was the small bolt that holds the ABS cable sheared off, but I drilled and tapped it and fitted an M6 Stainless steel bolt in. Im a great believer in Stainless Steel.!! Preventitive Maintenance and all that.!!!! Thanks again.!!!

Back