Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel cost per mile

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Now I know that not everyone is interested in fuel cost and if you drive a behemoth of a truck then pay up or shut up, but in the interests of research I have been looking at some figures. I have put together a spread sheet (you are welcome to the original if you want it) which plots MPG (you have to work you own out as usual) against cost per litre/gallon

These are constants - nothing variable in here. What is interesting is how little the price per litre actually affects the cost per mile in certain regions. Have a look, you'll see what I mean. The type of fuel is irrelevant. If petrol is your choice then just read down the £1.31 per litre column or if it's oil, then read down the £1.39 column. I have projected up to £1.50 per litre and factored in 10mpg to 30mpg. If and I say IF you can get a petrol to cruise at around 18 mpg and a diesel to waft along at 20 mpg, there isn't any difference in cost per mile.

Like I say, if you want the original you can have it. I haven't filled in all of the integers so far as the cost per mile is so little different at a one penny increase in fuel prices. What is scary is the cost per gallon!!! You could shade in regions yourself to show you optimal target for consumption. The red box is known consumption for around town driving in a petrol. But look at what you could get if you tickled along the motorway with a light foot. Same as a diesel. I find that the Toyota claimed consumption figures have always been pretty accurate. I have had LOT of Toyotas. Extra urban for the 4.5 petrol is 28mpg. Well if you got even close to that, look at the CPM. Cheaper than diesel. Remember that since these trucks were built, so idiot decided to put 7% biofuel in diesel which has killed economy as far as I can see. AFAIK petrol still has most of the goodness in it.

Bit of fun, but then I am completely anal about giving the Government my hard earned cash.

Chris

Screenshot2011-03-20at113330.jpg

Hi Chris,
Let me be the first to ask for the spread sheet.

Graham

and me second please Chis :thumbup:

Chas, you'll need to PM me an e-mail address fella.

Chis

An amusing PM has been sent.

Where's the 76p column for LPG :) That would be interesting to see now you've gone to the trouble ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon, in fact I did do that manually. Mrs Chris was [strike:iaidav32]nagging me[/strike:iaidav32] asking sensible and pertinent questions about economy. I can easily add a column, but remember that if you want to you can look at the £1.5 column and just halve the figure. Damn, it appears that I didn't fill in the £1.50 column either. :lol:

Chris

Chris, I'll have a copy please, I'll keep it on the dash to remind me to wear my slippers whilst driving instead of lead boots :lol: :lol:

Aye, just how much is chip fat at the moment?

C

I pay 10p per litre mate, I know you boys take thi pixx but do the figures :thumbup:

Then take into account how much i break down :lol:

Tesco fat even with my discount isn't worth the hassle, I worked out the other day that if I were to put 18Ltr per tank in, it saves me about £3.50 per tank, truthfully I can't be arsed :thumbdown:

Karl, where do you get from at 10p, straight out of Georges chippy in Belper ? :lol:

I wish nick. Its really hard to find used oil anywhere now. Everyone is wanting it for fuel.
Got a contact in ashbourne who wont let anyone else buy it.

Got 2000 litres at the min but the stuff ive got is better for bio than svo really. It will be ok in summer again :thumbup:

Back