Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FZJ 80... Ryan, Chas, Gary820, Red Okt.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
So I collected the FZ on Friday and have now covered 140miles in total. 60 miles on Motorway @ 65mph and the rest stop/start around town.

Tank shows empty!:icon-eek:

Now that's 95 litres to do 140 miles; 6MPG!!
Surely not?:pray:

How about you petrol owners out there, are you getting the same?

best it got out of one was 750km to 160l petrol not sure what it works out to but pretty bad.
we did 30km across some dunes and did the big quater tank! they are not good on fuel.
whats the pressure in the tyres? can make a liitle difference.
stu

I'd get about 300 on a tank of petrol and 250 on a tank (80ltr) of LPG.

Have you re tanked it to see how much you've used?, my gauge isn't greatly accurate.

The best I got was driving home from just outside Aberdeen to York about 350 miles on one tank!! That was a really clear late night run though and just bought it so going really steady.

Usually 300 is about best unless not going so steady and I can do a tank rather quickly!!
I find decent quality fuel makes a big difference too.

On a recentish run to Derbyshire for a wedding returned an average of just over 16mpg, that was on 35's with motorway and a bit of running about.

I guess tc is locking up etc etc?

If it's been hardly used, and the previous owners kept the tank topped up (ish), then the sender might be all gummed up.
Try filling it full, bang some cleaner in there as well, note the mileage, get it used, at least half a tank, then brim it and work it out.

Ya, that can't be right Lazz. I am getting around 250mi to 90litre petrol and about 200mi to the equivalent LPG.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I get 250 ish miles to a tank ... but that depends on how i drive it

best it got out of one was 750km to 160l petrol not sure what it works out to but pretty bad.
we did 30km across some dunes and did the big quater tank! they are not good on fuel.
whats the pressure in the tyres? can make a liitle difference.
stu

750km = 466 miles
160 L = 35.24 gallons

= 13.22 mpg :shock:

Could be time to invest in petrochemical shares??:?

I was expecting 13- 15mpg from Petrol, so will report back as I've brimmed the tank now and will run it dry and see what I get.

750km = 466 miles
160 L = 35.24 gallons

= 13.22 mpg :shock:

Meh, this is roughly what I get. If you worry about mileage the petrol 80 is not for you.

In saying that if you get what Lazz is then something is amiss and needs investigating.

Now that its brimmed its worth checking for leaks n weeps. I had a saab convertible - seemed dreadful on fuel, was leaking from filter which is underneath, near drivers seat. No idea it was leaking, until I was under it, irrespective of whether I was using it top up or down.

I was expecting 13- 15mpg from Petrol, so will report back as I've brimmed the tank now and will run it dry and see what I get.

No need to run it dry or even down to the empty light, just
use 3/4's of the tank, refill it to the brim and take note of the litres
it takes to do it.

Then you can use the trip mileage against litres used :)

Last edited:
Now that its brimmed its worth checking for leaks n weeps. I had a saab convertible - seemed dreadful on fuel, was leaking from filter which is underneath, near drivers seat. No idea it was leaking, until I was under it, irrespective of whether I was using it top up or down.

Good advice

Yep I geddit but I'd like to know how many litres it actually burns and how many miles I've got when reserve light comes on.

I've had 2 petrol/lpg 80's, a 96 and a 98. they were both lovely to drive but thirsty. In the 80 litre tank there was 60 litres of usable gas which would take me about 160 miles before switching back to petrol so worked out about 12.2 MPG, petrol was 16-17 on average. If you do a lot of short/ stop start journeys where the engine is warming up you can expect 10-12 on petrol.
Something to look forward to:lol:

Andy

Thanks Andy interesting info. At the moment I'd be delighted with 12mpg, so 16 - 17 would be a bonus. Its not a DD and I was expecting a gas guzzler. Lets see.

I keep thinking about an extra tank even a 50ish litre one above the spare! They're not great on fuel but sound so good and go rather well lol. Not been brave enough to run it till it's truly empty, interested in the results.

Got a ford focus for an everyday car and I cycle to work so the mpg doesn't really bother me.

Something I've noticed with mine, it's low miles (74k) and I've got old mots etc, some years it did less then 1000 miles. I've had issues with sticking brakes, rear slider pins didnt do much sliding and a front caliper had a stiff piston. Maybe worth a good look at them. Looks like it's been very well loved aka cleaned a lot? Washed and put back in the garage maybe?

Back