Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Garmin Dezl 760 - Result !!!

It's early days so there may be tricks to get round the issues I'm seeing but at the moment Navigator 11 on the PC is safe as 1st choice.

First there's the maddening beep every time you press a button that you can't turn off unless you mute all sound

Then all the button presses every time you turn it on just to start using it.

If you browse the map, the + & - zoom buttons fade away and you can only get them back if you touch the screen, so you have to remember to tap the screen exactly in the middle, or it scrolls to centre where you tapped.

While navigating somewhere I can't get a 2D north up overview of the route no matter what I press, it's firmly stuck in birds eye view today. I'm sure yesterday I could get 2D but not an overview, I had to keep zooming out till I could see what I wanted and each step was pretty small so even a quite short route took a lot of screen tapping.

As a follow what the instructions say type device it seems fine, but it falls short on some of the feature I find useful in Navigator 11 on the PC.

For reference, I got a newer D because when I tried getting an 'old' one they were out of stock.
Some very good observations here. It is evident that navigational aids are not designed by navigators anymore.

For getting a route overview / 2D while in birds eye navigation mode, it takes 2 taps of the screen, on the second tap the view point changes a bit and the icon that Chas referred to appears that you can use to switch between 3D, 2D and back again. I *think* when I first got this device and before I updated to the latest version of the software, that icon appeared on the 1st tap. Edit to say I've just noticed that if I do a drag instead of a tap, that displays the view switching icon, same as tapping twice.

So I can get into 2D and if I hold my finger on the zoom buttons it will go in bigger zoom steps but you have to guess how long to hold for because it doesn't update till you let go. With practice that's probably all not too much hassle.

The disappearing buttons (and they disappear very quickly) are much more frustrating because when I tap to get them back I can't help but displace the view and if I'm not quick the buttons have gone away again before I've finished cursing the new place the screen has moved to! The buttons are translucent and towards the edges of the screen, they really wouldn't be a problem if they didn't fade and imo it would make it a lot easier to use.

Does anyone else curse the fading buttons?

Last edited:
If you tap the 'Navigation bar' at the top of the screen when navigating to get a list of turns, then press the menu button and choose map, it shows the entire route on the map without having to zoom out.

If you tap the 'Navigation bar' at the top of the screen when navigating to get a list of turns, then press the menu button and choose map, it shows the entire route on the map without having to zoom out.
So how is it now, compared to the Navigator 11, after finding out of a few more functions?

I'm considering one of these, but, coming from ship navigation, I' concerned about purchasing a Pandora's box of frustration. I addition, my budget is small, so I get only one chance :)

Still getting used to it in terms of planning and only had it running on fairly local trips so far to get an idea of it in use so I don't know what its route choices will be like in real world usage. The trip / multiple destination planning which I use for most routes to alter the route to my preferences is better than Navigator 11. They are on Navigator 12 now btw and have stopped doing updates for 11.

Garmin don't seem to encourage use of Topo maps on the Dezl series. They list Norway topo as compatible and a couple of others but not France, Spain, Italy etc. It would be a much more interesting device to me if I knew Topo was fully supported. Not sure if you can trace long tracks to follow on a Topo map either.

I'm considering one of these, but, coming from ship navigation, I' concerned about purchasing a Pandora's box of frustration. )

uHu, I have pretty extensive knowledge of and currently use Furuno equipment, and if you are expecting anything like this on this little Garmin device, you will be disappointed.

I don't have JW's frustrations as I use the map in North up and 2D.

If you are prepared to use Garmin mapping products then IMO it's the best Garmin device I have used, within the limitations of the device and the platform.

You really cannot compare this to commercial grade Marine equipment.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Quick question as i need to get one of these now before our trip and ideally next week to have some time to play wit it.

Am I right in saying you can convert the LTM version to an LTM-D by just changing the charger which has the digital receiver built into it for traffic.

We ended up using the Dezl for navigation most of the time on our recent road trip with a raster map running on the PC alongside it for an overview. We didn't get any complete lock ups but it did once get stuck in split screen showing us a junction we'd already done but it was still responding so canceling the route and then telling it where to go again sorted it out. Now I am more used to using it, getting to the overview map isn't so bad and most features are easily accessed with a bit of practice. A few times it warned us there was an accident and queues on the section of autostrada we were on and there was no sign of anything but sometimes it was right. When it warned us there was a 45 minute delay for the tunnel we'd use to get from Switzerland to France I told it to divert us around and that went smoothly, no idea if there really was traffic! I thought the track log feature might be useful, to show where we'd been at the end of a trip and georeference pictures etc but it only covers a couple of days worth of traveling so to keep it on a longer trip you'd have to keep backing it up to a PC (I had the PC logging it so no need).

Overall I'd say we're quite pleased with it and likely to trust it more now we've had a good long drive using it.

Last edited:
Although not relevant to the Garmin in question, we just completed our 3 week tour de France in a similar manner with the Garmin I have providing the directions & the carpooter displaying the maps. Great combination :)

Where in central London is a good place to get a dezl 760?
And, do they come with maps for all of Europe? (Meaning - it doesn't matter whether you buy it in Romania or Portugal, you always get the same content??)

Your best bet is probably along Tottenham Court Road ... loads of gadget type of shops there. Make sure you haggle and checkout more than one! :)

Surely you would get a better price online though ... ?

with the 760 can you use any rear view camera or do you need to buy the garmin one.
is can you run things like memory map with this?
i was talking to a chap in andorra about running shall we say free maps with a garmin and he said there was some kind of code to put into one. does anybody have any experence of this pm if you like.
thinking of buying one but not 100% yet.
thanks stu

Stu I don't know about Memory map, I'm running Europe internally and T4Africa on the SD card.

I have used 2 different cameras, the first one was a button type, but that got rattled to death, the second is a proper Waeco pro camera... both work no issues.

how do the cameras work is it wireless and all you need is power supply to the camera. will will be moving to SA so i would rather buy one that works with t4a any way but i expect if 1 works so will the other.
do you find the 7" screen a bit big now you have had for a while or think is amazing.
stu

I think my DEZL is the dogs, large but suits a big vehicle :thumbup:, probably too large for an ordinary car though. Having said that I've just had a Pioneer stereo fitted with Sat Nav, shall see how that behaves when I get the GPS receiver connected, but may still use the DEZL anyway.

Last edited:
Stu, cameras are not wireless. Need the Av cable to run to the unit with std jack plug at the Garmin end. Unit is probably the perfect size for its intended use in a big LC.. it is a truck unit after all.

Used mine extensively in SA/Bots/Nam/Zim/Moz/Malawi/Zambia...both T4A and gar maps street mapping... all works.

You'll not be disappointed

Did you have to add the garmin street maps of southern africa or were they on there or part of the ta4?
thanks for the heads up on the jack plug the garmin ones said they were wireless.

stu

No not loaded with SA as I bought my Garmin in the UK so came with Europe. Had to buy the street Maps of SA. It may be different if you buy in SA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are there any 'truck restrictions' that bother you when using the device in an LC? eg lane restrictions, routing restrictions in built up areas or truck specific speed limit warnings?

Also, is it possible to download your tracks to a PC?

Back