Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox swap, info please

Roger Crocker

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi
This has probably been asked many times before but as I am still learning how the website works I,ll ask it again!!
Will the 100 series 4.2TD manual gearbox fit straight into a 92 reg. 80 4.2TD are there any unforeseen challenges.
Secondly, anybody done a auto to manual swop on an 80 4.2TD
I wondered what the pitfalls, cost are likely to be.
Many Thanks

Yes, it will. I fitted an Amazon box to my 80. The bell housing is completely different though so use the one from the 80 series.

Even though it's the same 4.2 in both?
I thought the auto box bell housing would be the main difference where it bolts onto the box itself.
If the only difference between the 100 4.2 are the later electronic gizmos attached, then it might work to swap an engine & box complete
Apparently the props on a manual 80 are different length to an Auto 80 I believe?

Roger, sorry all I can tell you is that I got a 100 manual box with a bell housing attached and it was very different. It was sold to me as an 80 box. I had to junk the bell housing to get it to fit. It was a manual bell housing obviously as it was a manual box.

Genuinely I can't tell you anything thing more than that. There are several different prop lengths across the 80 series. Those with viscous couplings use a shorter rear and autos are different to manuals. I'm not that encyclopaedic I'm afraid. But you asked if a 100 series manual box will fit a manual 80 and the answer is yes.

I can't comment on the auto manual swap although I know people have done it. I just don't know why you'd want to to be honest

I did wonder why you would want to do the swap Roger?

The only sameness between the 80 and 100 diesel is "4.2" "6 cylinder" and block. Apart from block nearly everything else has different part numbers.

Without exact knowledge you would need a complete 80 manual car and a complete auto car and swap things over.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The only sameness between the 80 and 100 diesel is "4.2" "6 cylinder" and block. Apart from block nearly everything else has different part numbers.

Without exact knowledge you would need a complete 80 manual car and a complete auto car and swap things over.

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a good manual truck with everything on Roger's wish list (or as much as possible) and drive that Frank?

Quite Rich. It would be a nightmare job to do as there would be an endless list of little bits and pieces needed.

I know its been done but the question is why? I'm sure most large 4x4's built in the last 20 tears have been autos for some good reason, even virtually all commercials these days are autos too.
If you are going to convert to manual the first thing to do is modify the cross member mountings and proceed from there.
FWIW I have a 24V auto in green ( virtually UK spec) and 24V manual in green and guess which gets driven the most?

I'd forgotten about the X member Andy. Good call. Yes it would be quite an undertaking.

Ok guys
Thankyou all for your comments, very helpful indeed and most appreciated
The reason is to most I guess a bit illogical but I have never been lucky with autos
This truck though was ideal in every other sense and in far better condition than anything available at that price

The auto boxes on these are strong Roger. They don't give much trouble if looked after and not drowned (sorry Chas).

Oops should I talk to Chas!,
I am guilty of drowning two VW Syncro & a G-Wagen engine in years gone by
My truck does seem to slow quite dramatically on hills I thought it was the box zapping the power out of it

I feel for you Roger , i couldn't be tempted by an auto in any condition at any price because i know i would just sell it again . There are plenty of auto fans on here though and it sounds like you got yourself a good one so why not offer it up as a swap to see if there's any takers .

The truck itself is a gem, this is my dilemma I love driving it,so don't think it's likely that would work but thanks for the thought

Maybe we should have a race at the lights Shayne. My auto beats BMWs off the line. OK they catch me up, but 4.2 with the ETC button pressed, TC built up and a foot on the brakes with perm 4 wheeldrive ......

It's not slow. You do have a downer on autos but on a long run as I've just done to the Highlands, if I'd been in a manual, I'd have changed gear about 4 times. Once at the M1, again at the A66, then again at Penrith then finally as I pulled up. It'll do 90 all day long with its eyes closed and still pull away at that. I have 2 manual 80's and frankly changing gear in them is just a chore. Don't see what's not to like about an auto and .... it's way easier to eat a Maccy D out of the drive thro'

Maybe it's really fast food you don't like.

You know I'm only pulling your leg.

Its just one of those marmite things Chris , which makes even less sense considering i can be lazy at gear changes when i'm bored . I have no argument against autos i just enjoy driving a manual more :confusion-shrug:

The diff ratios are different as well and not in your favor so it will struggle even more with a manual box. I do like manual 80's but I wouldn't convert an auto to manual - the auto isn't that bad lol.

I get that Shayne and if I had a Ferrari I might think the same. You are driving a Collie - which I've had too, but the 80- is a very very different beast. This is like the difference between a moped and an oil tanker. The engine in the 80 is so humongous that changing gear is genuinely pointless. I have had all sorts of cars from hot hatches to mid engined 2-seaters and I agree that there is something sublime about the right gear change at the right time. But the 80 just isn't that sort of car. I've done thousands of miles in them and NEVER once though "Ooh smooth, nice change dude" they just aren't like that. They aren't pocket rockets. They're orbiting planets which just crush other planets in their paths. Changing gear just isn't some sort of delight. Most of the time you don't even NEED to change gear. Just point and conquer.

Back