Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Genuine parts, OEM and pattern alternatives.

wobbly

Garage
I have had a read through a few threads here discussing various issues around whether to use Toyota or non-Toyota parts.

The reason for using Toyota is the fact that they are the exact spec the vehicle is designed around and thus should give the best performance and protection.

Downside is the cost.

I've checked in with my local dealership, a basket of service parts is £100.00. I've also contacted Crispins chap at Eagells, a healthy deposit of 10 - 35% depending on individual items reduced the cost down to approx. £65.00.

I then looked at pattern parts from Toyota-type suppliers, Milners total cost for the same basket was approx £20.00, Roughtrax a little more.

What concerned me was the quality of parts on offer, I've seen conflicting opinions on quality and tbh I dont think the reduction in cost is worth the concern I would have.

I've been directed to Motaquip by a competent mechanic, he rates their products.

I spoke to Motaquip today, they manufacture their own parts, but also for manufacturers to use as their own. This is mainly French/Italian mainstream, not Toyota, but they tell me that every part is exactly the same quality as the original.

They also clarified some terminology -

Genuine Parts - only come from the manufacturer and are what the dealers sell.

OEM (original equipment manufacturer) - made by the same people as the genuine parts, but not branded as such. This should be to the same spec as the Genuine Part if the manufacturer warrants it as such.

Pattern - made by a 3rd party company in the style of the genuine part. These tend to be the cheapest, and can vary in price and quality.

I've gone for Motaquip parts as they are adamant that their parts are to the spec of the Genuine Parts, in particular the giblets (my word!) of the filters, although they dont manufacture for Toyota.

I will service the truck and see what the quality is like, I am heartened by the fact that the French, Italian and Volvo makes will allow Motaquip to be used and not invalidate the warranty. I dont know if Toyota do or not.

The basket I have ordered came to £45.00

My truck gets serviced once a year (about 4000 miles) so in the scheme of things I'm only saving £20.00 and am happy to swap back to Toyota if I dont like the look of the Motaquip parts.

Will let ya'll know how the parts stand up to the rigoours.

Cheers

Pete

wobbly said:
I've been directed to Motaquip by a competent mechanic, he rates their products.
My issue with statements like that are, with respect to filters, on what basis? The paint remained on the canister for the whole 10000 miles? Something like the spec of an oil filter is over his and most of our heads. Yes it filters the oil and yes it still needs changing. It might be as effective as a dish towel and we'll not know until a) the oil is analysed b) the engine is opened and the bores and bearings checked etc.

wobbly said:
I will service the truck and see what the quality is like
The paint on the oil filter looks like a good finish?

wobbly said:
I am heartened by the fact that the French, Italian and Volvo makes will allow Motaquip to be used and not invalidate the warranty.
Speaks volumes, in a good way :thumbup:

I’m not knocking the parts per se but rather the idea. If you get something like a water pump, serpentine belt, indicator lens etc, and it fails, there is little chance of any damage. Something like an oil or diesel filter where the “bad” could be hidden for a long time and slowly chewing something up, that is not ideal and not worth the risk IMO.

It’s not like you need to use the expensive parts with each tank of fuel, the added cost of the “real thing” does not factor much with all the other costs. :(

Its a decent size workshop, 4 or 5 mechanice, and he's been there for 30 years, which is far more experience than I have. I do accept though that anything other than genuine parts is going to be price led (ie you dont find a better product and change cos of quality, you change cos its cheaper!).

What i've struggled with is balancing price and quality, I dont want cheapest, I want good value.

I've seen an oil quality testing kit in LRO, you drop oil onto a pad and it indicates key features, I might buy one with the money I've saved, see if its possible to compare before and after with what I've got now, and then in 3000 miles time.

Pete

We did a thing a while back with oil testers. I think it was around £15 a kit which included a sample bottle you then sent back to the company for analysis. Had to buy 20 kits though so if you wanted, you might be able to drum up other interest.

Wobbly said:
What i've struggled with is balancing price and quality, I dont want cheapest, I want good value.

I wonder what the real cost is on Mr-T parts. :whistle:

Crispin said:
wobbly said:
My issue with statements like that are, with respect to filters, on what basis? The paint remained on the canister for the whole 10000 miles? Something like the spec of an oil filter is over his and most of our heads. Yes it filters the oil and yes it still needs changing. It might be as effective as a dish towel and we'll not know until a) the oil is analysed b) the engine is opened and the bores and bearings checked etc.

wobbly said:

wobbly said:
I am heartened by the fact that the French, Italian and Volvo makes will allow Motaquip to be used and not invalidate the warranty.

I’m not knocking the parts per se but rather the idea. If you get something like a water pump, serpentine belt, indicator lens etc, and it fails, there is little chance of any damage. Something like an oil or diesel filter where the “bad” could be hidden for a long time and slowly chewing something up, that is not ideal and not worth the risk IMO.

It’s not like you need to use the expensive parts with each tank of fuel, the added cost of the “real thing” does not factor much with all the other costs. :(

surely a water pump failing could cause a lot of damage? :?

I suppose it could but I meant in a way of "it'll leak first or hopefully you'll notice the temp rising etc"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ben said:
Crispin said:
wobbly said:

wobbly said:

wobbly said:

surely a water pump failing could cause a lot of damage? :?

Been there got the t shirt now got a spanking new toyo pump and luckily for me i could hear the collapsed bearing.

Joe

Funnily enough...one of the other things I am getting from Eagells is a water pump and timing belt - also a Toyota stat.

Never really thought of water pumps as service items until I bought a Toyota!

Pete

milners sell genuine toyota water pumps. at least for the 1KZT/1KZT-E engines anyway. ;)

I saw them but assumed they were pattern/oem.

Certainly there is money to be saved by searching around.

Pete

myself and Steven (SAE70) have both brought genuine water pumps from them.

they have told me there trying to stock more genuine parts, so it is worth giving them a call. :thumbup:

I have no issue with pattern service parts but I only use the quality ones not the cheapest

Water pump wise I would go gen

Seals and bearings I just buy from my local bearing supplier as its usually less hassle than a main steeler

The other thing that sometimes pattern parts are crap for is brake pads, my daily drive eats a set of fronts in 10k genuine ones last 15k but pattern ones are easier to get ;)

Ps landy genuine filters where made by a elcheapo Italian company.......Says it all really :lol:

Crispin said:
wobbly said:
The ONLY thing mechanics worry about is fit. If a brand doesn't cause hassle then it's in, if it's cheaper then even better.
I'm afraid quality is not an issue.......

wobbly said:
LOL, Lovely paint, nice writing AND it fitted ! Job done !

wobbly said:
Actually, unless they want to supply filters for FREE then they have no choice, any filter "fit for purpose" can be used without invalidating a warranty (one of the rare good EU rulings)

It’s not like you need to use the expensive parts with each tank of fuel, the added cost of the “real thing” does not factor much with all the other costs. :
Exactly. £20 saved on a bearing now might cost a hub in 10,000 miles yet £20 of diesel is "nothing"
I'm not a genuine parts nazi, but certain parts just aren't worth the savings. knowing which ones is the hard part.
Engineer for 20 years and still learning. :lol:
(

Back