Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting rear seats out?

Gilbert v H

I was trying to get the rear seats out today. Seemed pretty simply, till I came to the screws at the inner folding mechanism. Rather than 14mm bolts like the others, these are different and cannot be opened with a screwdriver or key. What instrument do I need for those, I've never seen anything similar?

Should be straight forward, mine had no issues coming out........

you don't mean the ones with the plastic caps you have to take off do you ;)

:cool:

What - the very rear seats or the middle ones. Rears just unclip and the middles have four 14mm head bolts. Took mine out to get to the fuel pick up.

Chris

Hi,You will need a strong pointed chisel & hammer, tap (thump hell out of it) the bolt arround until it becomes removable with a pair of vice grips, they are one way screw heads.

Eh? I must be missing something. I just used a 14mm socket and unbolted them, did the fuel tank job and then and bolted them back in again. Must be some variations in design I guess. But mine were utterly standard fixings.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
get a photo on here so we can see what you are talking about. mine came out without any issues as well.

Locrep said:
Hi,You will need a strong pointed chisel & hammer, tap (thump hell out of it) the bolt arround until it becomes removable with a pair of vice grips, they are one way screw heads.

+1 for the above.

It sounds like they have never been out before and the original Yota one way bolts are still in there.

Just thrash them out and replace with ordinary 14mm head bolts
thumbwink.gif

This will be similar to what Gilbert is confronted with:-

1429.jpg

Bat21 said:
This will be similar to what Gilbert is confronted with:-

1429.jpg
I've removed my third row seats and one second row, I never came across any bolts like that. :?:
Chas

Probably changed it when Toyota introduced the bigger brakes and wheels as they both have the early model. anyone got an 80 which disproves this?

Normal bolts on mine (1995)....if we are talking about the ones through the floor.
The only troouble with mine were that the exposed part of the thread poking out under the truck was rusty and took a bit of force to get out.

Paul said:
if we are talking about the ones through the floor.
those are the ones we are talking about paul

they are a clutch head. i've used them for putting hinges onto gates and garage doors but haven't seen any on my cruiser. second row seats were 14mm head.

is it age related or that they're imports? I've never seen those used before.

Jon Wildsmith said:
is it age related or that they're imports? I've never seen those used before.
Gilbert has a 1991 4.2 VX Limited and I have a 1992 4.2 VX Limited, so I guess it may be just the imports that had them Jon.... maybe just the early imports?

i'm sure the only way to remove them is with something like the irwin bolt grips, or drill the centre and use a "grabbit" bit. you might be lucky using an ez out but i've never had much success with them and there are far better products around now. or as already posted, a hammer and chisel.
cheers, tom.

They are called 'clutch head' fixings

Graham

Back