Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

glow plug light

Lubo

Hi guys
I have LC 80,96mod,24valves and 320Tkm on the clock.A week ago the glow-plug light came and stayed under driving.The car starts without any problem and the glow light goes away as usual,but then after 15-20seconds comes back!The bad thing is that this doesn't happen all the time,but randomly.Any idea?and one more question-is it only one intake heater relay or more?
thanks in advance

Yes, suggest checking out the relay and also the main earth strap in case a poor contact is causing random electrical faults.

Cheers,

Hi Andrew
thanks for the answer.Do you know where to find that relay,where is its location :?:

Underneath the driver's side battery tray - driver's side for a RHD vehicle ;)

Cheers,

Hi Andrew
try to locate the relay,but...do I have to remove the battery in order to come to it? :?: Any picture available?
cheers
Lubo

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Lubo,
Yes, it will be easiest to remove the battery and the battery tray. I don't know whether you can do it with the tray in place but I think it would be very difficult if you can.

I don't have any pics to hand but a search might throw something up. I think Brett may have posted a few pics on here a while ago when his relay burnt out.

Cheers,

thanks, Andrew :thumbup: it is out of my skils,and outside is -6C...brrrrrrrrrrr

Hi Lubo,
Removing the battery and tray is straight-forward - once you have the battery out, you have to take around 5 small bolts out (12 or 14mm - I can't remember). The bolts are often a bit rusty because of spilt acid or whatever in the tray, so spray with penetrating oil just to make the job that much easier. You probably need to pull out the radiator reservoir/overflow bottle (the plastic bottle) too. Now you can see all the electrics that live under there and have a good look at the connections and relay.
Obviously any sign of excessive heat (melted insulation or blackened sections) means you need to clean-up and re-establish good connections. None of this should be very difficult ;)

Sorry, can't help about the -6 C but you have my sympathies!

Cheers,

Hi Andrew
very kind of you-i begin to enjoy that forum(haven't been often here-now everyday)Even dummi like me should understand what and how to do.I'll try to do that on Saturday.The good thing is that the light doesn't come back.So in fact the same thing happened with my ABS light 5-6 months ago...and never came back.but I know ,one day it will,and the ''experts''in Toyota have told me that the problem was the ABS box,who cost about 1000€.Fortunately for me I haven't seen that light again.My problem is that my Cruiser is import and the guys here,in Toyota,look at it as an experimental object.
anyway-thanks for the replay-I'll keep on update on the progress of finding the way to the heating relay :thumbup:

Hi Lubo,
Chances are the problem is something simple like a poor electrical contact, especially on the earth strap. But just a warning - the relay can fail and short out potentially causing a fire. Not very likely but not something anyone would want to happen to their cruiser. So it's a good idea to check this sooner rather than later.
Good luck!

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Hi Lubo,
Chances are the problem is something simple like a poor electrical contact, especially on the earth strap. But just a warning - the relay can fail and short out potentially causing a fire. Not very likely but not something anyone would want to happen to their cruiser. So it's a good idea to check this sooner rather than later

Lubo,

This did happen to mine, details here:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7856

Holly S**? Brett
you scared me to death :? the things with me looks different though-in my case everything is working just as supposed to be,only that glow light came for some time ago_Otherwise all the instruments work as should!Went to Toyota to check up the problem and after 2 hours they told me that they need A WHOLE DAY to find out what the hell is going on with my car.Now the thing is I don't see that light anymore after the start!Anyway,due to Andrew and your response,I am obliged to check it out at Saturday with the hope it won't be any serious problem.BTW how much does it cost that relay and is it possible to open it up and clean it?Here ,at Toyota ,they told me that the relay cost 200BP, but they also told me that to change my glowpugs it will cost me 500BP,so you can imagine what kind of guys are working there.By the way,as I understood,the historical relay is under the battery,located in front of the air filter-am I right?the confusion comes with the difference of our cars-LHD and RHD.
Thanks a lot for your response on my(our)problem :thumbup:

Lubo said:
they also told me that to change my glowpugs it will cost me 500BP,so you can imagine what kind of guys are working there.
Lubo, the Toyota guys there appear to be as useless as the ones here - there are no glow-plugs on the HD-FT so who knows what they are proposing to charge you for...
My recommendation if you're not going to do the work yourself is to go to a small auto-electrician and explain the situation. I bet a real expert in auto-electrics would sort this out for you very easily and at a much lower cost :shock:

Lubo said:
By the way,as I understood,the historical relay is under the battery,located in front of the air filter-am I right?the confusion comes with the difference of our cars-LHD and RHD.
:thumbup: Correct - battery in front of the air-filter, assuming that this is also the "master" battery in LHD configuration.

Cheers,

Andrew :thumbup:
the funny thing is that the Toyota guy did the same recommendation as you :thumbup: I could not believe my ears,but now I can :D
At Saturday I'll visit a small workshop , where used to work a small Vietnamese guy,which by the way, supposed to be electrician,not only auto mechanic.Hi suggested to open the relay and clean it up,and was honest enough to admit-he didn't know where to look for it.Now ,thanks to you and Brett,I get the enlightenment and bravely can navigate to it :thumbup:
cheers
Lubo

Thanks Adrianr :thumbup:
a little bit messy for my knowledge,but the price for the relay seems to be correct! In Norway the things are the most expensive on the face of the earth,so here is about 200£ ,if it was the right part,of course,which you never know :lol:

Perhaps one of us can buy it and send to you labelled as gift. Could save u a lot?

Lubo,

I think I read somewhere that a guy on one of the forums used a motorbike relay instead of the Toyota relay, cost about £10:00.

Although, you should check with your Toyota dealer as if your truck was affected with this problem it should have been repaired under a recall. My truck was recalled but the previous owner chose to ignore the recall letters from Toyota:evil:

When I sorted mine out, Toyota still had the copies of the letters on file!

Back