Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got sum problems

Caboose

Hi all I'm Shane just signed up an looking for a little cruiser advise :) I just sold my GQ patrol, an bought my first 60 the guy I bought it off bled the brakes a few hours b4 I picked it up, little did I know he replaced the fluid with motor oil an topped up the clutch fluid with it too!! So two days into owning her all the seals failed, an almost killed me an my two kids when the brakes let go. He said he would give me my money back but has now stopped answering his phone now. So now I'm looking for a way to fix it cheap another words by myself

First question ; would the early 70's utes have the same brakes cause I just wanna swap the whole system over ?? Oh an I believe it's a 62 series

Last edited:
Motor oil????????
You need to have the whole thing checked over for peace of mind I think.
I presume it was just a private individual?
Welcome by the way.

Hi and welcome,
congratulations on surviving, but I think you have to accept the whole braking system is contaminated and therefore the seals and hoses are shot.

If it were mine, I would replace either all the seals or the units so it would be:
master cylinder, brake balance valve (if fitted), brake flexibles, and all the caliper or drum piston seals. But only after I have flushed the brake pipes with a suitable fluid until I was confident all the engine oil was gone.

the problem is, that obviously some seals failed, but the others, maybe on the point of failure.

it is definitely a bigger job than you needed when you just bought it.

you might just get away with flushing the clutch, as the consequence is less severe if it fails, but good practice would be to flush and replace that too.

good luck

Last edited:
Been thinking about this and I agree with Andrew.
I think the seller deserves a visit, as well.......

although this was a private sale, so 'caveat d' emptor' this is clear deliberate deception and I think you would have a good case if it went to court. I would suggest a visit to citizens advice

I'd be worried about the rest of the truck. If he's dopey enough to do that then god knows what he'll have done while "maintaining" it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Legal standpoint all well and good, but it assumes he's in this country and the OP hasn't stated. However, the language implies perhaps not.

I thought the same but I guess the general advice about paying a visit is still valid ?

Welcome and lucky you weren't hurt, some of the bits will be available in motor factors I went to get a battery for my Civic and while there asked if they had wheel cylinders for my 60 and he got them in for the next day less than £30 for both so worth asking because Toyota standardised on loads of parts making some parts still available.

mike

mark 5 hilux callipers are a useful upgrade for the front brakes if your swapping them anyways

Cheers for the reply's guys I hav just got a price for every seal an it's only 130 bucks just very annoying work

This moron who has now blocked my number an he lives 100 Kay away so I can't just drop in when I like an he works fifo I can't be bothered with court I just wanna fix it so I can drive my V8 cruiser

Btw I got no notifications about any of these MSG's is that normal with this site ????

Hi Shane i'm Shayne , not sure about notifications i don't get them but i think you can do something so you do but i'll let someone else explain that . I've just read your story for the first time and its shocking . You don't give a location but my guess is Canada and i don't think the laws their differ a great deal from here in the UK .

What the seller did in my mind might be considered "reckless endangerment of life" which is a criminal offence and which can and is likely to result in a prison sentence . Perhaps if you let the seller know you will be contacting the police he might be a little more helpful .

I'm in Australia an I have msged him about court but he has blocked my number. I just want to fix it!! It's the only thing that makes me happy thinking about chasing him down an going to court which is a really long ways away just seems to much trouble

Last edited:
A criminal offense is very different from a civil dispute , police have no interest in civil cases so you have to chase him through the courts yourself and , as you say , its rarely worth the bother .
But if police see it the way i do then he deliberately put you and your kids lives at risk . He will be arrested , charged and sentenced . A somewhat bigger threat than being taken to a small claims court me thinks .

He didn't just give you a faulty vehicle he actually made it dangerous just the same as if he had cut the brakelines before you drove away .

Back