Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings from Georgia: Leaking Diesel, advice please!

AGM

Country Flag
uk
First off, greetings from Georgia, and thanks to all on here that helped us to get on way to begin with.

HomeIsWhereYouParkIt.JPG

Now for the problem: I have just noticed that we seem to be leaking a fluid (we think diesel) from the engine. Not technical in the slightest, so can't explain where from, but hopefully the below photo shows where the leak is coming from, which is worse when the engine is running.

Diesel leak mark up.JPG

Does anyone know what the problem is, and what work is likely to be involved?

Also, if anyone happens to know a good mechanic in Tbilisi (long shot I know!), then recommendations much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

AGM

First off, greetings from Georgia, and thanks to all on here that helped us to get on way to begin with.

View attachment 128503

Now for the problem: I have just noticed that we seem to be leaking a fluid (we think diesel) from the engine. Not technical in the slightest, so can't explain where from, but hopefully the below photo shows where the leak is coming from, which is worse when the engine is running.

View attachment 128502

Does anyone know what the problem is, and what work is likely to be involved?

Also, if anyone happens to know a good mechanic in Tbilisi (long shot I know!), then recommendations much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

AGM

Hi

If it seem to be dripping down from the part shown in the circle (the one with the two pipes coming out of it)
That's your fuel outlet pipe. It has a gasket on either side of the fitting with the pipes.
The gaskets are single use only but you may be lucky in that it may just be loose and tightening it slightly could stop it - don't overdo it as its a fine thread in a soft material.
see pic below.
pump 1.jpg

I think HW is probably right or it could be a cracked pipe.

I know it's tricky there but smart phone cameras held to get a better view are wonderful if you get enough light to get a clear shot.

Give it a wiggle and see if it's loose at all but be careful as the pipes are a little delicate. Not too bad but they do bend with hand pressure. The best thing would be to clean the area off as much as is possible, ideallyvwith some sort of solvent like brake cleaner in an aerosol then fold up some paper towel and put it under whatever you suspect to be leaking. This will help track it down. Then try, with the engine off, pumping the diesel pump on the top of the filter. Several pumps on the button will start pushing diesel back via the fitting HW has mentioned and you might just see it leaking. It will get hard to pump but keep going, pressing enough for it to feel and hear the fuel flowing.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Fabulous photo BTW.

Thanks both for the help and apologies for the delay in responding - just back from 4 days climbing in the Caucasus.

I have tried tightening it but to no avail, so will try and find a mechanic in Tiblisi.

Thanks, and I will let you know how we get on!

Alex

Welcome, a trick I use is clean off with a solvent, brake cleaner for examole.

Then puff talcum powder over the area, a drip is then easy to track along a pipe or around a join. As above the pumps and attachments are a soft alloy, getting heavy with the tools can prove costly.

Regards

Dave

Sometimes, a pipe to banjo (the round bit) joint can crack. It's often an invisible hair-line crack, but enough to weep.

If it's brass, someone could braze it up for you, or get a new one as suggested.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all, have taken it to a garage in Tbilisi and they've changed the gasket. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Many thanks for the advice.

Alex

Back