Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greetings from the far North of Scotland

Neil Stone

Hi guys, I just spotted this section and thought I'd best introduce myself.
Your name: Neil
Your Cruiser: Amazon GS 4.2TD manual 1998 with 114,000
Mods on your Cruiser: non as yet (well some bull bars and window tints that came on the vehicle.
Plans for your Cruiser: I've had the cruiser for 5 years now and it's been used as a family car and tow vehicle for my business (stone carver).
BUT, I am off down country (from the far North of Scotland) to Overland Cruisers to get some work carried out in a couple of weeks.
It's getting a new clutch, springs, shocks (with air bags on the rear) and bushes and hopefully an intercooler along with new tyres plus a comprehensive service.
I had thought about selling the truck for something more economical, but I just can't bring myself to part with it, plus I just couldn't identify anything else that I really fancied. Well there was a brief flirtation with a BMW 330D (another inline 6 cylinder diesel ! ) but they are not that common and command a too high price.

4x4 Experience: I've had 4x4 training with the coastguard (when I was part of a cliff rescue team in the late 90's). Trips into the quarry to collect stone is really all I do apart from a few tracks around here (off on picnics, BBQ's or footpath way marking or stuff). Worked on a farm or two over the years so used tractors and quads a little.
Last time I was out I managed to cut the sidewall out of my road tyres, only to find the spare was flat (under the car is such a stupid place to store them). So no spare at the moment and looking forward to getting some AT's on the truck so it can be used off road.
I've had a few 4x4's over the past 15 years or so and played with them a bit but no real off roaring (having looked at the pictures on this site).

Anything else you think is interesting or relevant: err married, no kids, two pets and a mortgage.........too many jobs and not enough free time.
Manchester United supporter, mountain bike rider, part time road cyclist. Have planning permission for a micro brewery !
:thumbup:

Welcome, Neil - sounds like a nice truck! I'm sure Julian will give it a great sprucing up and have it ready for another 10 years of sterling service :D

welcome
the truck will be great after the work is done

mountain biker - snap - do you ever bike at Golspie or the Carbisdale trails? as well as all the natural trails around there.

microbrewery - sounds good. I am a small scale craft-brewer myself. I Make fullmash brews in the shed, but in 25litre batches.

Had a go at Golspie.......bit hairy :shock: on the black section but genuine fun on the red. :D maybe better on a full suss.
Loved that bit where you go over the gap....
Had a wise round Carbisdale a few years back.
Mainly ride more natural trails around here.
Qualified as a trail cycle leader last year and take the local kids out (also a part time youth worker) which is both great fun and incredibly scary in equal measure.

Sounds like your shed is a 'destination' :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
From one GS owner to another, welcome. I'm sure some more GS owners will be along shortly.
Pics please.

(TTG) Andy :thumbup:

The front wheel is in the burn and the vehicle is totally bellied in the peat.
I was suposed to be the tow vehicle for a film crew working in the Highlands and had headed out really early to get the generators moved. I had to wait for a tow truck for 3 hours instead.
A slight bash in the bumper and a small dent in the front of the bonnet was the only damage caused.
It left a near perfect land cruiser imprint in the peat !

Attachments

• oops.jpg
    oops.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 313
Only a yard or two off road, just stopped for lunch.
View looking west across Farr Bay towards Toungue.

Attachments

• Room with a veiw.jpg
    Room with a veiw.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 302
Currently at Overland Cruisers where Julian is fitting:-
Intercooler, HiD headlamps, Old Man Emu shocks and springs with airbag assist on the rear.
I'm prepping the underneath for a dimitrol treatment and have been nail gun peening for many hours :mrgreen:

Attachments

• shocks.jpg
    shocks.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 196
the LC is in good hands!
looking like good progress being made

what is "nail gun peening" ?

It's an air gun with lots of long metal 'fingers' or 'nails/needles' (probably a proper name for the tool but I don't know it). You use it for blasting and rattling the loose rust off. I'll post a picture of it in a bit.
loving my time in this workshop. Julian and Dave are brilliant to work with.
Dave's certifiable, great fun and a very good mechanic.

Reckon this week will save my cruiser !

:D

Needle gun.

Very effective. Just don't use it for to long in one go or you won't be able to hold your tea mug.

Chris

Neil Stone said:
Dave's certifiable, great fun and a very good mechanic. :D
Well I hope the men in white coats don't come before the end of next week, I'm booked in on Tuesday :lol:

Yeah your trucks in the workshop next to mine :thumbup: (the silver one M758 is yours? )
been hearing a few stories..................

Neil Stone said:
Yeah your trucks in the workshop next to mine :thumbup: (the silver one M758 is yours? )
been hearing a few stories..................
No, my one down there is the red 80 with the black Maggiolina roof tent, it's the 'new' petrol one one I'm bringing down for some fettling and MOT :pray:

Intercooler installation tbc

Attachments

• Intercooler installation.jpg
    Intercooler installation.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 153
Hi Neil

Truck looks nice. Are the wheels 15inch? I had the same set on my first cruiser i brought.

Karl

Back