Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

H4 Bulbs

I fitted the Osram Nightbreakers and find that they are very good, I had the Philips version of them before and they also lasted ages, 2 years IIRC.
How did the bulb drop into the lens assembly?

BIG clean GREEN said:
I had to take the battery out to retrieve the bulb that fell into the lens.

HA HA ! - So I'm not alone :thumbup:

Been there, done that too.

Bloomin' useless design, I ended up taking the light unit out to retrieve the bulb :roll:

Bob.

Me too. Daft design as Bob says. Got mine out before it totally disappeared inside. Shouldn't be possible.

It's quite tight behind the lens to manouvre due to the battery being in the way, as soon as I released the retaining clip it fell forward into the lens so I tried to retrieve it, but the blody thing fell right in and thats why I had to remove the battery and use all sorts of impliments to fish it out, I thought about removing the lens cover but that; another ball ache I could do without :angry-cussingblack:

Nick.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
How does it work on the vuvla NC??? :p

I was refering to the LC in a previous life. :thumbup:

However, the vulva, as you nearly called it, has H7s and the headlight pretty much unclips, remove from the car and do the business then clip it back in. Quite nifty really and saves on knackered knuckles!

BIG clean GREEN said:
flea-bay and ordered a pair of xenon H4 60/55w bulbs
Be aware with these. :pray: I have one chinese blue "xenon look" bulb exploded inside the headlight in my Corolla Verso! Full of glass shard after that, very hard to get clean. :evil:
+ there is normally not UV-filter, means that you burn the headlight mirrors much faster. :hand:

BobMurphy said:
Bloomin' useless design, I ended up taking the light unit out to retrieve the bulb :roll:

My other half has a VW Polo. Last time I had to change a bulb I ended up removing most of the air con just to get enough space to get my hand in. Turns out the official method is to remove the front bumper. I have made a vow to make the saleman change a headlight bulb in the showroom before we buy her next new car.

She likes the idea of a Skoda Yeti. First thing I checked was bulbs, guess what - remove the front bumper is the official workshop method!!

Ian

Ian Rubie said:
Turns out the official method is to remove the front bumper. I have made a vow to make the saleman change a headlight bulb in the showroom before we buy her next new car.

She likes the idea of a Skoda Yeti. First thing I checked was bulbs, guess what - remove the front bumper is the official workshop method!!

Ian

That's just insane :thumbdown:

Ian Rubie said:
First thing I checked was bulbs, guess what - remove the front bumper is the official workshop method!!
Not the first time I've heard this but you have to wonder how they can get away with that in these over regulated safety mad times. What's the point in some countries insisting you carry a kit of spare bulbs if you can't actually expect to fit the main ones at the side of the road!

I was checking a Skoda Yeti forum and one member got quoted a days labour from a Skoda main dealer to change a headlight bulb. Total madness. Possibly OK if fitted with "last for ages" HID or LED lights but not your bog standard H type bulbs.

When I was on the Highways, the 120 sidelights was a Toyota dealer fit. I think they quoted over an hour with the light unit being taken out.
I found that undoing two 10mm bolts in the plastic wheel arch trim allowed it to be done in just a few minutes.

Most of our day to day Police cars are focuses (or is it foci :?: ) and I am the only person with small enough hands to do the headlight bulbs without taking the light fittings out.

Why do they make these things so bloody awkward :?:

Ian Rubie said:
She likes the idea of a Skoda Yeti.

Did you see Jeremy Clarkson 'testing' one on Top Gear the other night ???

(And did you see 'the Boys' taking on the Australian Top Gear team - hilarious, especially Hammond's face when he tried to out drag a 6 litre Holden pickup in a Transit Van - and won :clap: :clap: :clap: ).

Bob.

Ecky Thump said:
Most of our day to day Police cars are focuses (or is it foci :?: ) and I am the only person with small enough hands to do the headlight bulbs without taking the light fittings out.

We run two Ford Focus' (foci ?) - I know what you mean :roll: .

Bob.

Ecky Thump said:
When I was on the Highways, the 120 sidelights was a Toyota dealer fit. I think they quoted over an hour with the light unit being taken out.
I found that undoing two 10mm bolts in the plastic wheel arch trim allowed it to be done in just a few minutes.

Why do they make these things so bloody awkward :?:

Easy enough to do too by taking out a battery. I changed mine a while back to LEDs. Have to say, the best I've seen yet is the Vulva XC90. There are two vertical rods that are pulled out vertically and the whole front of the headlight pulls out. Change the bulb(s) and slot it back in and replace the rods. Simples. As are the best solutions. And it could be done at the roadside...

Nuclear Chicken said:
Have to say, the best I've seen yet is the Vulva XC90. There are two vertical rods that are pulled out vertically and the whole front of the headlight pulls out. Change the bulb(s) and slot it back in and replace the rods. Simples. As are the best solutions. And it could be done at the roadside...

That sounds very similar to the Mondeo MK3 system - since Volvo are also part of the same group I wouldn't be surprised if they share the same basic design.

Back