Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hand brake

24carrot

Hi my hand brake was very poor on my LC and lots of travel on the leaver .so I got new shoes and a new cable ,when I took the drums off the shoes wear a bit glazed but in good condition so I cleaned and rufed them up a bit and refitted the drums and adjusted them fited new hand brake cable . When firing the new hand brake cable it adjusted all the way on the hand brake leave. Now the hand brake leaver still comes up all the way and the hand brake is still not that good . Am I missing something ?

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Sounds like maybe the shoes aren't actually seated. You can put them in and do up all the bits and bobs but the first time you pull the lever something pops into place and you generate a whole load of slack.

I do not think so but maybe. the hand brake was working before and is working now just not very good i did not remove the shoes as they are okay. but all was seated ok and everything seemed to line up ok and be in place . I have fitted a lot of brakes from ford anglia to merc all ok. that's way I am thinking I missed something .there was this much tavall be for I adjusted it and fitted a new cable .and bought sides look the same .so I am a bit lost

Last edited:
There's a specific way to adjust these brakes - see the FSM. The method there doesn't make sense when you know your way around hand brakes, but it works. I had to do it a couple of times - following the handbook religiously - before I understood why it has to be done in that order.

Sorry brain not working factory service manual

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did the entire braking system before Christmas, pads, shoes, discs, callipers, and this included handbrake cable, had to go over again within four weeks such is the stretch in the cable. Also something else that happens with brake shoes, the shoe material does not fully contact the entire brake drum/disc when new, only the upper half of each shoe is in contact until they bed in, which in theory is impossible to happen in normal daily use on the 80. So once all set up and adjusted you will find the brake is still not great, I tend to run around for a few days pulling up the brake as I am rolling to a stop, eventually the brake material will match the drum but, I would guess this would take a lot of miles, I just do it until the lever travel is excessive, then readjust and call it a day.

regards

Dave

Fave, have you tried inserting our new Dogbones.
Stan at the Overlander, see 4x4 equipment, has plenty in stock.
They will help.
Cheers

Dave there is actually a procedure for doing this in the FSM. It lists the speed, distance and force to be applied on the lever I believe.

This is the problem when setting up with new shoes sometimes. You can get great static 'feel' when adjusting, but the car just won't hold. The pads have to be correctly settled and lapped for want of a better word. If you take the pads out and don't put them back in the same way you can lose that worn in fit. Typically this only happens though if you strip and rebuild in entirety.

Take a disc and place a shoe inside the drum section. If it's possible to rock the shoe then you'll be able to see the high points

@ Chris, as it makes perfect sense to do what I do otherwise they will never be right, and I did wonder if the FSM would offer that. Nowadays I do not worry about looking in the FSM, done the set/adjust/ 'drive with handbrake on' re-adjust trick now with a few 80's and it works out ok.

@Blown80, I have seen them mentioned or advertised but never followed it up. I assume they replace the OE unit due to wear, or are they a little longer?

regards

Dave

They are a little longer Dave, to a precise length but essentially just longer.
Our Dogbones brings the top of the shoes out a bit and gives the shoe more purchase on the drum when applied.
And because they apply sooner, you don't have to reef the handle out of the floor to get it to hold. :icon-biggrin:
Give Stan a tingle as he has plenty on hand. Cheers

If you use new drums and keep all the original bits you should have less travel in the handbrake. The slightly smaller diameter of the new drums cause this.

Back