Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake.

andyw

Country Flag
uk
The rear brakes started making hell of a noise today, so have had the wheels off to check, I thought maybe I had picked up a stone behind the plate, but the pads were ok, so cleaned it all up and took it for a test drive, bloody thing is still doing it.

I did notice that the brake shoe lever was not releasing properly, so just managed to order a couple of disks and a set of shoes from Milners, was gone 5pm but they have managed to send them out for tomorrow, anyway later was looking at the website and then saw that they do a shoe fitting kit, it was too late to get back to them and order the kit, so just in case I need them are they available from motor factors or will I have to wait till Friday.

AFAIK the fitting kit will only be needed if any of the existing springs or clips that hold the shoes in place are knackered on yours so you probably won't need it.

Perhaps try greasing the clips as per Sam's thread on his 120... :lol:

Sorry, getting my coat... :oops:

Jon Wildsmith said:
AFAIK the fitting kit will only be needed if any of the existing springs or clips that hold the shoes in place are knackered on yours so you probably won't need it.

It was just the amount of noise coming from the drum made me think that something had come loose, by that time it was too late to add these to my order.

Perhaps try greasing the clips as per Sam's thread on his 120...

Sorry, getting my coat...

Thanks Gav :o :roll:

From your description of shoe lever not releasing it'll probably be the shoes worn and metal on metal making the noise? The levers corrode and sieze up but a bit of cleaning and greasing should sort them out.

Jon Wildsmith said:
.... but a bit of cleaning and greasing should sort them out.

See, Gav - even the Dr agrees with Mr T ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How do I get to the adjuster on the handbrake lever end.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

you don't adjust at the lever end like an 80, the adjuster is on the cable at the axle end, about in the middle of the axle. If the adjuster snaps you can get just the axle end of the cable from Toyota, it's not a complete cable job.

Thanks Jon, should have looked before asking.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

There's a good thread on this job somewhere.
Normally the problem is just the lever through the back-plate. It requires annual cleaning and lubricating. Suggests ceramic grease as it doesn't wash off easily, and doesn't react with salt. (But clean well first).
For adjusting, the procedure is in the FSM, seems a bit backwards; but after doing it step by step, I saw the light. Btw, if you see salted winter-roads, the adjusters might be seized and break off.

All sorted now thanks, the problem was that previous owner/garage had not used the adjusters, they were wound right in, they had only used the axle cable to adjust, so the shoes were worn one end, not sure what all the noise was though, so maybe it was a stone stuck in the back plate.

Followed CJ's procedure for the adjustment, and now it is spot on only 4-5 clicks. :thumbup:

Back