Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has the time come to part company with my 80....and are people buying them?

Nelson_2946

Am I mad for even thinking about getting rid of such an impressive beast? Probably. But am I getting the most from her potential? Definitely not!

I inherited my 1992 80 vx 4.2 in December 2009, and it hadn't moved from its garage for near on 12 months before that, I've tried my very best to keep her on the road,an annual full service, a re-spray on the all to common burgundy red bonnet peeling and all the other odds and sods that come with 20 year old car.

an unfortunate meeting with a negligent Megan driver resulted my 80being un-necessarily written off (cat c ) for some minor front near side damage but with plenty of hard work and a 14% buy back, the truck was back on the road again. (Yes,the insurance pay out for poor)

however, I've now reached a point that doing 1200 miles a year in a car that spends more time on my drive than it does on the road, an expanding young family, less time and money to commit to her and a constant theme of things cropping up under her bonnet to pay out for, she deserves someone who can commit to spending the hours tinkering under the bonnet, pushing her up green lanes and down hillsides!

Is there still a demand for these out there? Or am I wasting my time even thinking about it and should just be grateful for having such a nice machine sitting semi permanently on my drive?

in a word, yes they are buying them, looks like a nice truck

I feel that in previous yeas it was a fashion to have a large 4x4.
But now the circle of owners is depreciating, and the supply versus demand is having an effect of lowering prices.

A few years ago, 80 series were feching silly money, and a few people bought them, in the prospect of keeping it a few years, and sell to make more money.
And at the same time, they would have a toy to go out with the lads now and then, and have a boys day out.
But now the price of 4x4 's has dropped, and the "not so good" or the "not so appealing" 4x4's are having a tougher time to be re-housed.

Many went for export, which did help the "supply and demand" and in my opinion, kept the 80 series especially, with artificially high prices. in the uK.

It's not just 80 series that have taken a hit, I think it is all acros the range, but the older ones are suffering more.
It will be time to move my 2005 , 120 series on to a new home later in this year, to make space for a 100 series.
I don't expect more than £8000 for it, even with full main dealer Toyota history.

Am I mad for even thinking about getting rid of such an impressive beast? Probably. But am I getting the most from her potential? Definitely not!

I inherited my 1992 80 vx 4.2 in December 2009, and it hadn't moved from its garage for near on 12 months before that, I've tried my very best to keep her on the road,an annual full service, a re-spray on the all to common burgundy red bonnet peeling and all the other odds and sods that come with 20 year old car.

an unfortunate meeting with a negligent Megan driver resulted my 80being un-necessarily written off (cat c ) for some minor front near side damage but with plenty of hard work and a 14% buy back, the truck was back on the road again. (Yes,the insurance pay out for poor)

however, I've now reached a point that doing 1200 miles a year in a car that spends more time on my drive than it does on the road, an expanding young family, less time and money to commit to her and a constant theme of things cropping up under her bonnet to pay out for, she deserves someone who can commit to spending the hours tinkering under the bonnet, pushing her up green lanes and down hillsides!

Is there still a demand for these out there? Or am I wasting my time even thinking about it and should just be grateful for having such a nice machine sitting semi permanently on my drive?

Going by the number of "We buy all landcruisers" type of adverts on Fleabay and trader I guess there is a decent demand in the "ideal for export" market. When I enquire about a landcruiser that's up for sale I am asked " Are you looking to export it mate?":icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back