Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

The LED H4 bulbs I fitted are the latest type and are 2600L on dip and 2800L on main @5000k which puts them in-between the best halogen filament bulbs and HID's. The instant light available from LED's is a big + IMO.
The OE LED lights fitted to some high end cars and bikes are as good as HID's but they'll be many times the cost of a plug in kit no doubt.

Looks like they have almost caught up then - I do love how fast the LED world has been moving in the past few years.

One bonus & disadvantage of the LEDs is they do run much colder than HIDs - So Clive during those winter months it could be a worse problem for you.

The LED H4 bulbs I fitted are the latest type and are 2600L on dip and 2800L on main @5000k which puts them in-between the best halogen filament bulbs and HID's. The instant light available from LED's is a big + IMO.
The OE LED lights fitted to some high end cars and bikes are as good as HID's but they'll be many times the cost of a plug in kit no doubt.

Thanks for this TP, maybe Plan B isn't dead after all! :lol:

Clive, ....

That is so much better ... nice job :clap:

Cheers Carl!

Actually, your truck with similar units was part of my inspiration to get them, and I'm sure you'll agree that the beam pattern (irrespective of bulb type) is far superior to the older technology OEM beams.

Looks like they have almost caught up then - I do love how fast the LED world has been moving in the past few years.

One bonus & disadvantage of the LEDs is they do run much colder than HIDs - So Clive during those winter months it could be a worse problem for you.

Yep Grant, HID's in the OEM units were a problem.

However, the dipped beam part of the new units has a magnifier (I think they call it a projector) and there is more heat generated by the HIDs than a normal reflector. Maybe it's the same heat but just concentrated over a smaller area of the "glass". I noticed this driving back to Bucharest on Sunday night, it was snowing like crazy, but the headlight washer jets were keeping the lens snow-free.

Before. I would have a build-up on the OEM glass, which on one occasion last year, was about 2" thick and the light could not penetrate it at all!

Anyway, this could be overcome with a heat exchanger on the washer jet supply pipe. I've made one for the windscreen washers, but not fitted it yet. It's quite crude and simple, but effective. Maybe I'll do a thread on it when I've got around to fitting it.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good news. It could be an argument for plastic over glass too?

My other thought for you could be heat strips? Placed on the top or bottom of the lights (not sure where exactly) or on the bumper could help a little. http://www.oemheaters.com/p-6113-low-voltage-heating-cable-termination-kit.aspx

Does sound like the new lights have solved the problem for you though :)

That looks good Grant, it could go on the edge of the lens, behind the trim, if it gets warm enough there to do the trick.

I've been pondering with the heated mirror conversion too, but as mine are basic no electrics mirrors, I'd need to run a power supply to them, which would not be too difficult I suppose... :think:

Cheers :thumbup:

Looks great Clive, do they have an E1 (in a circle) as in meeting EU regulations? I would luuurve to fit a set of those. Unsure of the MOT over here, They cannot sort out whether I am allowed a sodding seat belt or not for Christ's sake! regards Dave

I had a look for an E1 in a circle and I can't find anything Dave. Trouble is, now they're fitted, it's hard to get in to see properly.

They have to come off again to tidy up some trim issues so I'll try to remember to look for the mark then. I doubt it though, they are intended for the LHD US market primarily, AFAIK.

Cheers Carl!

Actually, your truck with similar units was part of my inspiration to get them, and I'm sure you'll agree that the beam pattern (irrespective of bulb type) is far superior to the older technology OEM beams.

Oh yes! .... I have yet to upgrade my lamps to LED ... but the difference is amazing. ...

Which LED lamps did you use ??

Well, I've now ordered a set like TowPack posted at post 89. Looking forward to fitting and as they are from a U.K. supplier, they should be UK legal. Looking forward to fitting them. [emoji4]

Well, I've now ordered a set like TowPack posted at post 89. Looking forward to fitting and as they are from a U.K. supplier, they should be UK legal.
others-301.GIF
Me too.

Well done Chas, I think you'll be happy with them. They will be bright enough and you shouldn't get the scatter that the HIDs give in the OEM units. :thumbup:

Got back home this morning to a small package containing two new style lamps that now have the control gear built in so no separate control box to mount elsewhere [emoji4]

Got to say service from Steve at Woodypeck was superb. Got a phone call the day after ordering explaining that he'd had to wait a bit for new stock and that he had just packed them. Had a good chat and found he has sold about 200 pairs and only had IIRC 4 returns, one being a cable, and said the manufacturers offer a 2 year warranty. He also explained that the new design was brighter still than those they replace. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423742090.274774.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423742146.718814.jpg

Seem nicely made with a good size heat sink and fan on the back. Another good feature is that the fitting collar detaches for ease of fitting with the spring clip in the back of the headlight.

Will update later with how they look. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423742090.274774.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423742146.718814.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Steve also phoned me about the delay and to say they had been despatched and gave me the update about the new stock being brighter.

Looking good SC, very neat not having separate power packs. Interested to see how they perform in the OEM units.

Patience Chas, they'll turn up :thumbup:

First pics, not too good as the truck is laid up at the moment. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423773597.850309.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423773620.493411.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423773637.935731.jpg

The third photo is on high beam, others are on low. Near side is LED.

They're white that's for sure, and I imagine significantly brighter, but you won't be able to tell properly, till it's on the open road.

What type is in the offside, normal or halogen?

Back