Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

Nice job Clive. . I am liking the look bud! I'm thinking that I need to do something similar as the plastic mounts are broken on my drivers side and the passenger unit is has water in it!:thumbdown:

Oh yes "Nice jEEP!!!":lol::icon-cool:

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH! I knew that one would bite me in the ass, I just can't keep my big gob shut sometimes :doh:

Let me put this on record, once and for all, my truck is not a friggin jeep, Jeep, or a jEEP :angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

Everyone listening, got that? Good! It's a Land Cruiser of the bestest variety, bring it all on, I'm ready :lol:

I ve been waiting to see some new pics! All the best...:icon-biggrin::whistle:

The warm up time for HID's will vary depending on bulb and ballast type. Some 'intelligent' ballasts start the bulb with slightly higher power than required initially to achieve full brightness quicker. The 2 main problems with HID's, if you can call them problems, is they're not much good for 'flashing' when cold and the life of the bulbs themselves is affected by the number of on-off cycles. They don't like being flashed when hot, summat to do with crystals forming in the bulb. JMO

The warm up time for HID's will vary depending on bulb and ballast type. Some 'intelligent' ballasts start the bulb with slightly higher power than required initially to achieve full brightness quicker. The 2 main problems with HID's, if you can call them problems, is they're not much good for 'flashing' when cold and the life of the bulbs themselves is affected by the number of on-off cycles. They don't like being flashed when hot, summat to do with crystals forming in the bulb. JMO

With you on all that TP, I didn't go for the cheapest, but what's confusing me is that all 4 sets are identical. The pair for the dips warm up in unison, 8 seconds or so, but the mains are literally a staggering 30 seconds, no less and both in unison.

That makes me suspect a bad earth or some other wiring issue.

On the old H4 HIDs I had in the OEM units, the flash main worked well, because when energized, they gave surge anyway, prior to a momentary dimming, then a gradual brightening to full power. All over in about 10 seconds, but functional without any complaints from me.

The mains now are so slow, that without the dips staying on, I can't use main beam at all, not unless I prime them first :lol:

It'll get sorted soon enough, just need some time to test and fathom it out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have 2 HID driving lamps and one is always a couple of seconds behind the other from cold. You can get some variation in performance, even between identical HID kits but 30 secs is way OTT so I reckon you're on the right track with a possible wiring issue there Clive.

The decision to go there always is Chas... :|

They take time to warm up for one, and I'm still confused as to why the dip come bright after 8-10 seconds and that mains take so much longer.

Second issue may be something to do with US regs (maybe) but the dip and main units are treated together in the wiring. Imagine the OEM H4 plug that goes onto the twin filament bulb, well the back of an H4 bulb looks something like this chappie...
Not too apparent from the photo, but of the three wires, one wire goes to the dip beam module single filament H1 bulb and the other goes to the main beam single filament H1 bulb.

That means, on dipped beam, only the dip is on (just like OEM), but when you switch to main beam, only the main beam module is on (unlike OEM). OEM on main beam (on mine anyway), has the main beam filament of the dip/main plus the single main beam module next to it. 4 main beams in total.

... Does that make sense to you...?

So to replicate the OEM set-up, the main beam module has to power a separate (added) relay that re-energises the dip beam module.

The result will be (when I've figured it out) when on main beam, both dipped and main modules working together.

That's why I want a light bar too, to compensate for losing the main beam from the single filament dip beam module.

Oh, my head hurts! :icon-biggrin:

3d-funny-eyes.gif
I think I might forget HID's and go LED.
cool08.gif

They look brilliant Clive - everything I would want from such an upgrade. I've added them to my list.

3d-funny-eyes.gif
I think I might forget HID's and go LED.
cool08.gif

I wouldn't blame you Chas, but I haven't tried LEDs yet, so I can't comment.

They are are my Plan B should I need one.

We've checked the wiring and it all appears good. The difference between Di and main "warm-up" isn't due to the bulbs, and in fact the "warm-up" times are the same, after physically checking them.

They just appear to be different because the dip has a projector lense which casts the beam with even a low amount of light. The main on the other hand, has a more traditional reflector, which casts a wider beam but needs the lamp to be close to 100% output to create the beam.

It will be fine when the dips are wired via a relay from the mains, both will be on at the same time then, and the delayed main beam won't be a problem.

On flash, the dips will do the flashing!

These are the H4 LED's http://woodypeck.ipage.com/?product=h4-cree-led-headlight-bulbsthat I fitted in the OE housings and I'm very pleased with them. Got them from this seller but when they were on Ebay.
There are some identical looking units also on Ebay but read the specs 'cos some are lower light output.

Don't you have any issues with the beam scatter TP? My OE housings made a right mess of the beams from the HID bulbs, unserviceable in fact.

They look brilliant Clive - everything I would want from such an upgrade. I've added them to my list.

They are brilliant Grant, in every way, good beams, look good, and I'm very pleased. The only issue is with HIDs, which has been my conversion of the new units.

If I'm not happy with HIDs as time goes on, I'll consider Plan B - LEDs, but not yet, eh?

:shock: I hope the broken bit wasn't in with the one I repacked sincere apologies if it was Clive there was so much padding in there I didn't think there was anything to worry about .

As for the lights they're proper :icon-cool: makes me laugh at my own vanity in wanting a set just for how they look in daylight :oops:

I missed this Shayne, sorry. There's no way you could have had anything to do with it, the box had a knock on the way that's all, the tab was in place, just snapped and hanging on a hinge of plastic. We glued and araldited back, and I recon its stronger than the others now:lol:

I owe you big time for being middle man and trusting in the deal. The beer is waiting.... :icon-biggrin:

Don't you have any issues with the beam scatter TP? My OE housings made a right mess of the beams from the HID bulbs, unserviceable in fact.

I also tried HID's in the main/dip beam housings and found the same thing. Loads of light but scattered all over the place and fiddling with the adjusters made no difference. The H4 LED bulbs are completely different to HID bulbs and throw light virtually identical to OE halogen filament bulbs but they are not as bright as the 50w HID's I have in the inboard main beam housings and also the bumper mounted driving lamps. I found the HID's in the inboard main beam units throw an excellent beam which aimed well with the adjusters.

OK TP, there goes Plan B it seems, but I'm not likely to need it, I can live with the warm-up times of the HIDs and the beams are just superb, IMO.

Happy bunny... :lol:

I also tried HID's in the main/dip beam housings and found the same thing. Loads of light but scattered all over the place and fiddling with the adjusters made no difference. The H4 LED bulbs are completely different to HID bulbs and throw light virtually identical to OE halogen filament bulbs but they are not as bright as the 50w HID's I have in the inboard main beam housings and also the bumper mounted driving lamps. I found the HID's in the inboard main beam units throw an excellent beam which aimed well with the adjusters.

I have that problem with my HID's, the main beam is fine but the dip although very bright is scattered so I may just put LED's in the dip.

Last edited:
I have that problem with my HID's, the main beam is fine but the dip although very bright is scattered so I may just put LED's in the dip.

It's likely to cure it Chas, because Halogens in mine worked fine, just not enough light for the unlit gnarly roads here. I found I was just aiming into space sometimes, especially when there was oncoming traffic, scary stuff.

Now I can see! I have seen the light! Seriously though, well pleased with these units. :icon-biggrin:

It's likely to cure it Chas, because Halogens in mine worked fine, just not enough light for the unlit gnarly roads here. I found I was just aiming into space sometimes, especially when there was oncoming traffic, scary stuff.

Now I can see! I have seen the light! Seriously though, well pleased with these units. :icon-biggrin:

I'm not totally sure that it's not the reflectors though because the passenger side is much worse than the driver side, I suppose it could be a misaligned HID in N/S. :think:

Back