headlight bulb upgrade

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
going to upgrade the headlight bulbs from candles up to something alot brighter
my bulbs are at least 10 years old...

what's good to by on the market now?

cheers

Ummm, by no means as expert as many of the other chaps here, so sure much valuable feedback will follow, but just a couple of points to reflect on... :):)
  • what is the condition of the actual reflectors in your headlights, if they're faded or tarnished you'll already be losing light there, no matter what bulbs you install...
  • LED's seem popular but can run a little cold, especially the further north you are which it seems can sometimes lead to icing up of your headlights in extreme cold and icy conditions
  • If the reflectors are tired, have you thought about simply replacing the complete headlight units in toto with new aftermarket units (that's what I did btw) and difference (for my truck) was staggering
  • Also, have you thought about adding a couple of low level lights as supplementary driving lights (also what I did, but a particular spec so likely not for everyone)... not necessarily extreme, but could be a possible option (need to be aware of the law and factor in how you integrate with your standard high and low beam headlight setup)
Sorry can't be more usefully specific, but hopefully some viable thoughts to mull over and get you started...

I put a pair of the Philips Ultinon leds in recently (https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-headlamp-h4). Not cheap (!), but they do make quite a difference on country roads. Quite a tight fit on the 120, batteries out job. There are a couple of handy holes in the tin work by the light units to mount the control units (which seem to be quite cool running) with the supplied ties, I put some strips of self adhesive neoprene foam in to stop rubbing and help with vibration. No canbus adaptors needed. They give a good defined pattern on dip, I haven't had anyone flash me yet.

I also upgraded to Philips Ultinon on my J95, they are really good, a MASSIVE improvement over original and my mate fitted some "quality Chinese" LED's and admits mine are better. I would say that the dip beam is fantastic but the main beam does not seem to be much higher so it is hard to discern much difference between the two. For me, it is not a big deal but sometimes I think about fitting some auxiliary lights to boost the MB. The link below may help you.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/led-headlamp-bulbs.146526/page-4#post-1479463

As above. Sit down when viewing the price of the Phillips LEDs but don’t let that put you off. Mine have been in for about a year now and I’ve forgotten the cost. I just love the fact I can see reflective signs lit up way into the distance. I’ve started getting flashed recently which I was a bit disappointed about until I found I’d left my fog lights on. :doh:Turned them off and no more flashing. :dance:

Last edited:
As above. Sit down when viewing the price of the Phillips LEDs but don’t let that put you off. Mine have been in for about a year now and I’ve forgotten the cost. I just love the fact I can see reflective signs lit up way into the distance. I’ve started getting flashed recently which I was s bit disappointed about until I found I’d left my fog lights on. :doh:Turned them off and no more flashing. :dance:
I hate driving at night at the best of times. but i remember the first time i did when i got the 120, and had the shock of my life.. The whole surrounding area lit up this horrible green, Its embarrassing, i drive mainly with the front fogs on till its too dark, Then i have to turn the lights on, And cringe.. They are Bad. Must get round to changing them... Can you still get just plain H4 type normal head light bulbs... Or can you only get LED/ Canbus free/ Neon ultra/ Ice white/Collapsed star blinding/ Retina detaching lazers ?.... Are they still £3. 99p a pair

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+1 for the philips LED massive improvement on my 60

I hate driving at night at the best of times. but i remember the first time i did when i got the 120, and had the shock of my life.. The whole surrounding area lit up this horrible green, Its embarrassing, i drive mainly with the front fogs on till its too dark, Then i have to turn the lights on, And cringe.. They are Bad. Must get round to changing them... Can you still get just plain H4 type normal head light bulbs... Or can you only get LED/ Canbus free/ Neon ultra/ Ice white/Collapsed star blinding/ Retina detaching lazers ?.... Are they still £3. 99p a pair
Have you tried the pound shop Higgy?

going to upgrade the headlight bulbs from candles up to something alot brighter
my bulbs are at least 10 years old...

what's good to by on the market now?

cheers
I got LEDs in my 120 2 years ago each bulb is 8000lm and 36w and say they have a 30,000 hour life span on ebay £20 for the pair I think they are cheaper now at £5.66 each bulb plus free delivery and give massive improvement to the fact that switching full beam makes little effect , also brings color of light of headlamps the same as the latest luxury top end car makes . Phillips are said to be good but the price put me off and I don't think they are as bright as the ones I have in the 120 . Type in LED H4 headlight bulbs on ebay and loads will come up I went for the strong ones as some are stronger than others , MOTs have been no problem , only thing I have done is set the headlight level switch to 2 instead of 0 as I was sometimes getting flashed from on coming low level cars don't know if that's because I have air suspension but number 2 has been no probs with no one flashing at me now . its now very easy on country roads at night as the beam is long and bright and gives 270 degree light pattern on low beam and 360 on high beam .

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing this thread reminded me my 80's headlights are abysmal , and that's coming from someone who often forgets to turn headlights on .

What about these ?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/...MIwPqliquS3wIVzbDtCh36aQIxEAQYAiABEgKCEfD_BwE
I tried them before I fitted LEDs they make the lens look a bit whiter if looking on the outside but don't give much more light when driving and are very poor compared to strong LEDs and they also only have around 500 hours of life span .

You can find plenty of LED lamps that are bright out of the box. The acid test is pointing them at the MOT light tester gizmo. I had mine set up by my tester and he commented that they were the best pattern he had seen for retrofit LEDs. These were my third set. Set one interfered with the radio so bad as to blot it out almost completely. Set two were about half as bad for the radio and I lived with them until one lost half it’s LED. Just started flickering one day then failed completely. Had the Phillips ones been available and I’d used them I would have saved the cost of the others. All I can do now is share my experience so others can make the choice. Beam patterns on the first two needed lowering to bring them within the required illumination areas. The Phillips ones were raised back up. I’d buy them again for another vehicle.

I tried them before I fitted LEDs they make the lens look a bit whiter if looking on the outside but don't give much more light when driving and are very poor compared to strong LEDs and they also only have around 500 hours of life span .
I was also getting flashed when set on 0. so I also set to 2/3.. but didn't know if they were flashing coz they were too bright, Or they were letting me know I was a Twat for having Green lights:thumbup:

Hopeless, what is this world coming to! :icon-rolleyes:
Yeh! Poundland should be ashamed. I Did get 7 1litre bottles of 5w 30 engine oil tho .. All ready now for the next change..:thumbup:.. When I asked the Manager why they didn't have oil filters for a 120 LC 5.. He just looked at me for a while. Then asked me to get out!!!. Did get a pack of 6 snap off Stanley blade knives ... A pound.. Amazing!!

Can't you get a full set of super long lasting bulbs ?

Somebody post a link please while im of a mind to buy something i don't much care about .

I was also getting flashed when set on 0. so I also set to 2/3.. but didn't know if they were flashing coz they were too bright, Or they were letting me know I was a Twat for having Green lights:thumbup:
could be both

Back