Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlamp bulbs

Currently have over 600W of light on main beam with my Ex manta 400 rally car Spots and upgraded halogen bulbs ....obviously this is no more legal than any other upgrade but passes the MOT every year .

It is getting pretty close to the max output the alternator can cope with though so interested in the LED's .
I an running LED's in all the other lights on the Cruiser.

Everyone who rides in the Cruiser comments on how good the lights are , even those who have 17 reg R Rovers and other top spec cars .

What I do like about my current set up is the light is more natural and less tiring than some of the HID and LED lights fitted to car's like the wife's Merc and Audi .

Are these LED's a brilliant white light verging almost on the blue or a softer white ?
I'd say that they have a very good daylight colour. They make the halogens on the inner main beam lights look quite yellow but they certainly are not the harsh blue you get with hids or fashion halogens. And they are 24 watts and come with voltage stabilisers so I've taken off the additional wiring and relays I put on to get the right volts to the halogens and reverted to the original loom with its thin wires. Much tidier!

No I didn't, mine has it's yellow front fog lights there being a JDM 81. The side lights look yellow by comparison to the main beams. They're next on the list. The LED reversing lights have been a revelation, quite literally!!
Interested in what you manage as I have the same

Interested in what you manage as I have the same
I too as you may beat me to it as It's not high on my general list of things to do. I'll certainly post when I change them. I'm interested to see how Chas is getting on with the projector lens/angel eye headlights as part of me is tempted by them. I'm also thinking that there's going to be a shake up when legislation comes out governing use of LEDs in headlights in the next couple of years (as rumoured by my MOT tester).

hoping to be off exploring remote lands in a few years but I'm IRL/EU goverened so maybe different than UK (with Brexit..) regd rule changes

I finally bit the bullet and changed to the Phillips Ultinon that @JOHN OF LONDON has and they are both not cheap and excellent.
A8B21A2A-D788-4A29-A3A0-0A2127634C59.jpeg
2937A214-255B-4682-9FC8-266D07ACD5FC.jpeg

See this thread also.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/head-lamp-upgrade.149524/unread

Last edited:
I'm still very pleased with mine, particually now the pain of paying for them has worn off a bit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
StarCruiser and John of London - just taken delivery of a set of Philips like yours. They are fitted to my 2001 Prado 95 - they are REALLy good! Very happy. However, the main beam indicator has stopped working and I am guessing it is no coincidence! Does yours work OK?

Don't know if it is a"Canbus" issue and don't even know if my '95 Prado even has canbus?

Thanks,

Indicator is still working as it should on mine but there is definitely no fancy electronics on mine; just a wire and a bulb!

There’s one way to check Talaman, just plug your old bulbs into the wiring, no need to completely swap them in the lamps. I wouldn’t mind betting it is just coincidence as it’s just a bulb in the dash fed the same way the bulbs are in the headlights. In other words not monitoring them like the newer ones do via Canbus.

Glad you’re happy with them. I’m still glad I spent the extra. If they die after a year I’ll be singing a different tune but I’m quietly confident they will go the distance being from a known brand name.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. I was impressed with the quality of the packing too. I know it is not a true indication of quality but the box, the internal packing everything was quality.

Yes will try that SC, oh and I took some pics with the halogens so will post up comparison shots in a day or two.

Update - OK old bulbs back in and the main beam indicator works OK again. GRRRR! Off to Google the problem now. Wonder why I am getting this and others have not?

Thanks very much Flint, so this is encouraging, I will look in to it. So it would seem we do have CANBUS on the 95's to contend with :angry::angry:

Whilst on this subject but still (I hope) within the scope of the original post/thread, can someone tell me how you can tell (apart from the above saga) if the vehicle does indeed have canbus as part of the build?

OK UPDATE
Thanks again Flint for Canbus info. I went out this evening and took two more photos in the dark. One dipped and one main beam. I should state that the pics were taken at the same spot on the same camera with manual settings the same for each image I HAVE NOT EDITED the images. Exposure was 1/60 Sec at f/2 and 4000 ISO

Hope I get images in correct order now????

Old Halogens on dip:-
H4-_Old_-_MB.jpg

Old Halogens on Main Beam:-
H4-_Old-_Dip.jpg

Philips LED on dip:-
Philips_LED-_Dip.jpg

Philips LED on Main Beam:-
Philips_LED-_MB.jpg

With hindsight I should have picked a background that would indicate how good main beam is over distance - that said, I drove towards some building on this unlit lane and just saw them on dip then hit mainbeam and they jumped out at me. Totally satisfied - just got to sort the Canbus issue.

Last edited:
That’ll be resistors needed then Tal. Those before and after photos look awfully familiar. And very good indeed. Have you had the beam pattern checked by a friendly MOT tester? They look pretty good but you may be able to have them lifted up a tad.

No SC that is planned for this week I have arranged for them to be adjusted at a MOT station. Certainly I have not been flashed once and if it can be lifted a wee then so much the better, but I am satisfied as they are.

Thanks very much Flint, so this is encouraging, I will look in to it. So it would seem we do have CANBUS on the 95's to contend with :angry::angry:

Whilst on this subject but still (I hope) within the scope of the original post/thread, can someone tell me how you can tell (apart from the above saga) if the vehicle does indeed have canbus as part of the build?

OK UPDATE
Thanks again Flint for Canbus info. I went out this evening and took two more photos in the dark. One dipped and one main beam. I should state that the pics were taken at the same spot on the same camera with manual settings the same for each image I HAVE NOT EDITED the images. Exposure was 1/60 Sec at f/2 and 4000 ISO

Hope I get images in correct order now????

Old Halogens on dip:-
View attachment 141886

Old Halogens on Main Beam:-
View attachment 141887

Philips LED on dip:-
View attachment 141888

Philips LED on Main Beam:-
View attachment 141889

With hindsight I should have picked a background that would indicate how good main beam is over distance - that said, I drove towards some building on this unlit lane and just saw them on dip then hit mainbeam and they jumped out at me. Totally satisfied - just got to sort the Canbus issue.

WOW so much difference

I am currently looking into replacing my current IPF FatboyII halogens and considering LED's for my 1997 Prado (series95) with the fluted glass lenses and I'm still gathering more info on how the LED's would work on this type. The information here is just awesome.

Hoping to learn more of your experience using the LED's during heavy downpour rainy conditions

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Xena, said:-

Hoping to learn more of your experience using the LED's during heavy downpour rainy conditions[/QUOTE]

Guess you cannot be talking to me if you are discussing downpours etc! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Well my friendly audio/electrician guy made a resistor for the can bus and didn't charge anything. I had looked at can bus resistors on EBlag and you were talking a fiver! Still not had mine adjusted as the mechanic has lost his assistant so I will have to wait until his business is quieter if I want it done for free (my fav word!!)

What I can say is that I really love these Philips lamps and to me, they were worth every penny.

StarCruiser - just re read your last post, yes the before and after photos were done in exactly the same place at the same camera exposure and same time of night to make it a fair comparison.

StarCruiser - just re read your last post, yes the before and after photos were done in exactly the same place at the same camera exposure and same time of night to make it a fair comparison.

Ah, now I meant that mine looked that much different (looked that good) so your pics reminded me of mine…:shifty:

Downpours, now let me see, there’s bound to be one along someday soon. I’ll try and get you some photos. I would expect them to be excellent. I was out in the mist and fog the other day and they were clearly lighting up signs a good 100 m away, where they could be seen through the fog of course.

Back