Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Vrecha ...

Hi Damjan - currently planning our first sahara/west africa overland trip. We are planning to spend a bit of time in Mauritania and want to get "off the beaten path". Came across your post on Aoukar basin crossing. Can you provide any more info on that? Is a crossing possible between Tichit and Ayoun el Atrous?

Great photos!!!

Rick

Hi, short answer is that nearly everything is possible, but it depends a lot on your skill end experience. Crossings that are not described in Chris Scott's Sahara Overland book are usually quite demanding and serious.
Please contact me on e-mail and we can discuss in detail.

After a year and a half, our West African trip has ended.
Acclimatization back to "ordinary" life in Slovenia is our next challenge.
We both miss the Sahara already and are looking forward to return as soon as possible.

WSmountineering-150.jpg

What bad news Damjan, I opened this post hoping for more wonderful pictures and more stories of interesting people you've met.

You must be feeling the hit trying to settle into 'normal' routines, what a bummer!

Still, 18 months on the run is an epic adventure, count yourself privileged to have had the chance. Trusting there will be another in time to come.

Thanks for sharing anyway, I've enjoyed every moment! :thumbup:

You are right, adapting to "normal" routine of the developed world is a bit of a challenge, but so far it went well. But we are keeping ourselves very busy with enjoyable outdoor activities, for instance this team building event with lots of offroad activities that we organized recently was really spirit-lifting (and vehicle-drowning :) ) ...

teamBuildingOffRoadDriving.jpg

And for other pictures and stories from the last months of the trip, there are many left dispersed over folders in my computer. Will post some of them over next few weeks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:thumbup: I'll look at them with interest Damjan. Thanks for posting and good luck....!

Looking forward to seeing them too!!

Hopefully you will soon be back on the road, how is your project coming on?

I'm going to be transiting Slovenia in about 3 weeks, any recommendations for nice scenic routes/places to see. (Not too touristy). Will be heading towards BIH coming from Austria, probably going via Zagreb because the last time I was there it was the 1990's and I'd like to see it now.

@yogi: we intend to return to Western Sahara and Mauritania as soon as possible, after all we made many good friends while living there. Working on that ...

Will send you a PM regarding the suggestions for some interesting traverses of Slovenia.

The project of the guidebook is currently put on hold, because I learned in first months of 2014 that the updated version of the Gandini guidebook is available and I know that one quality book for overlanding in WS more than fulfills the current demand. And Gandini guidebooks are generally very detailed, covering broad subject matter about the area they describe.

For those interested, I'm writing an extended review of the new Gandini's guidebook for WS:
http://blog.s-adventure.com/2014/05/an-overlanders-guidebook-review.html
This is the first part (an introduction), I'm planning to publish one part every one or two weeks, depending on a free time I will have to work on this.

Hi, great trips you have had. What kind of equipment did you carry around with you? Both for camping, emergency, tools etc and also mechanical spares

Now, at the end, I can say we carried everything we needed plus a bit more. :)
This "everything we needed" part is what we are a little proud of, as the selection of the equipment was a fruit of cca 10 years of overlanding experience.

We made the "furniture" for the vehicle, it was equipped for two not too demanding or picky adventurers. Some photos of the interior:
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/39560-Hello-from-Vrecha/page2

The equipment was relatively basic according to the popular show-overlanding standards. We are very much "Tom Sheppardish" regarding the equipment. Carry less, know more.
For example, the first aid kit was custom-compiled by us, but we knew how to use every bit of it properly as we went to a five-day emergency First Aid training course and passed the exams.
What we don't know how to use, we don't carry with us.
Another important variable was also that we knew we would have enough time (we don't drive today so popular "amateur rallies"), so we could choose the equipment that is maybe lighter, packs better, but handling with it requires more time. The rubber mats instead of big steel or plastic plates for recovery come to my mind in connection with this philosophy.

All together, when going to really remote places, the simple logistic rule apply:
water(+food) = time
fuel = distance.

Regarding time, we were equipped to survive cca two weeks completely on our own (usually we spent 5-6 days like this, max was 9).
Regarding the fuel, we could cover cca 1500 km of normal desert terrain (moderately difficult pistes, as Nema-Tidjikia for example). For the really rough overland driving (Mauritania out of pistes, soft sand and difficult dunes), we could cover cca 700 km of terrain like this. Here we see a need to add one more fuel tank (cca 100 l) so in future we will be able to dive more comfortably into exploration of the long pristine desert traverses.

All in all, I'm a little proud of the fact that our HDJ81, fully equipped and loaded with fuel and water weighted "only" 3100kg, which is still very near the factory GVW figure. And it performed marvelously on demanding desert terrain.

Ok thanks - I'm a great supporter of keeping things simple and reliable, rather than going full out and overloading with every single available gadget. I suppost you've just got to go along with what you're comfortable with. Water, food and Fuel being most important.

If anyone is subscribed to Toyota Trails magazine of TLCA (US), there's my article on Western Sahara published in Nov/Dec 2014 issue.
A part is also accesible online: -> ClicK <-

Last edited:
Nice article, well written and good photos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shouldn't that be whitelaning? It's snowing here now, but I don't think it's going to get anywhere near that deep. Can you imagine if we had that much? It would be Armajedun.

Did you ever pick up the cameraman?

Love it!

When you leave diff ruts behind you, you know it's deep! :thumbup:

Whitelaning - more accurate word indeed, I'll remember that.
But this was not filmed this winter (a little snow here so far), this video I found in the archive. Still time to receive a decent package of snow - February is usually the most generous month regarding this.

"Let it snow, let it snow" ... is a mantra of 4x4 enthusiasts here - as half a meter of snow turns ordinary lanes into respectable challenges.

The editorial board of Toyota trails magazine kindly allowed me to publish a pdf of my article (about our first miles of Western Sahara overlanding, back in 2011) free on the web, now that the next issue of Toyota trails is out.

-> You can get a copy here. <-

Back