Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Vrecha ...

Exactly as you said. Nonexistence of reliable info on one hand and the presence of the "I think once I heard that ..." type of (mis)information is the main reason for the neglection of this land by tourists and overlanders.

Regarding the blurb and similar services, I know and use them, but they are not the right ones for the type of the guidebook I have in mind. As I explained in the project description, I have an idea for the design of the guidebook that will be very practical for the use on the field. Far from paperback or simple hardcover edition. So pre-ordered print is the only option.

Thanks for the idea about trailmaster, I will definetly look also in this direction once the writing is finished.

Right now the project is in fundraising stage. In order to finish the research and write, so the guidebook will be finished by the mid 2014, I need to raise some money. As you can see on the project page, right column, you can pre-order the guidebook and thus support the creation of it.
For the full transparency and as an insurance to the contributors, I have decided on a "fixed" type of funding, meaning that if the minimum financial goal is not reached, all the contributions will be refunded back to the contributors.

Tnx.
I know, I have put posting pics in this thread aside a bit because of this WS Inlands project and other writing I'm doing at the moment, but I promise I will update the info about the route so far and add some photo material ... soon.
I never imagined you can be so busy while travelling in a slow pace as we are doing. :icon-biggrin:

So where we stopped with the narration about the current voyage? Somewhere in Nouakchott, Mauritania, with new stud axle and front wheel bearings fitted.
So the circumstances brought us to the south, far from the serious Mauri desert and forgotten tracks we had an idea to explore. To go back to the Tidjikia and then cross to ElGalaouiya and to Zouerat as originally planned was just too expensive, both financially and time-wise, so we decided to slowly drive the coastline towards the north.

mauri-ws-02.jpg

Nice, easy drive, a lot of stops. We had also some luck with the wind, no violent gales you can often catch here, just a constant breeze that didn't mess with our plans for overnight stops and midday stops for cooking or swimming (warm, warm sea) or ...

A little norther we entered the Banc D'Argoun national park.

mauri-ws-03.jpg

The southern part a little too crowdy for our tastes, but when you leave the village Inwi behind you, heading north, there are vast empty areas of seaside sands waiting for you.
The time of the year was just right so the tourist season was not even beginning ...

mauri-ws-04.jpg

Invaluable.
But the time of the season was also such that many sebkhas which are relatively easy to drive in the spring were now rich with water. So some beautiful parts of the coastline remained out of reach. Nevertheless, the parts that remained accessible were more than enough to satisfy out thirst for peace and solitude that began the very moment we entered the black Africa and was at the time of leaving Mali for Mauritanian desert spreading over our souls seriously overwhelmingly. I guess we are more desert type of persons ...

mauri-ws-01.jpg

If it wasn't for wind which got stronger every day, we would stay in Banc D'Argoun till the day our Mauritanian visas expired. This place really anchored in our hearts.

mauri-ws-05.jpg

But then again it was really time to go home. I mean go to our second home.
Western Sahara, if name it I must ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oi Steve, go get your own adjectives!!! :-D

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

So (our beloved) Western Sahara.
Quite many pictures, so let's split them in few groups. And let's start with general "driving around" impressions.

Old (Spanish) roadsign on one of the forgotten pistes.
WS-OnThePistes-13.jpg

And a typical modern crossroads sign:
WS-OnThePistes-10.jpg

Using traditional methods of navigation (for training, for fun and for photo):
WS-OnThePistes-01.jpg

And who says there is no sand in WS?
WS-OnThePistes-12.jpg

WS-OnThePistes-04.jpg

WS-OnThePistes-08.jpg

Sometimes there is too much sand!
WS-OnThePistes-11.jpg

Our camping setup.
WS-OnThePistes-09.jpg

A stop at a replenishing point Bir Bulariah (water only, 20m deep, self service).
WS-OnThePistes-05.jpg

A stop at the lone Acacia tree.
WS-OnThePistes-07.jpg

Two examples of monumental prehistoric tumuli.
WS-OnThePistes-06.jpg

WS-OnThePistes-02.jpg

Magnificent! I particularly love the lone Acacia tree shot - one of the best I have seen for a very long time
Well done & keep it up :)

Some fantastic pictures, I hope you are enjoying yourselves very much.

I love this thread Damjan, the photos are a work of art (IMHO) and you both look so "at one" in your chosen environment. Enjoy every minute of it, I'm not envious at all :eusa-naughty: :lol:

Glad you like the pics, will upload some more in a few days (our internet connection is usually very week, so making a post with few photos takes a lot of time and patience).

Enjoyed the photos
Makes me miss Morocco

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Glad you like the pics, will upload some more in a few days (our internet connection is usually very week, so making a post with few photos takes a lot of time and patience).

I can imagine! Thanks anyway for taking the trouble Damjan!

Let's collect the second group of WS photo impressions under a name "Interaction with locals."

Yes, we are always eager to help LR Santanas and their owners who all, without an exception, dream of owning a Toyota. :)
WS-locals-01.jpg

An important part of our "free time" activities is also the "education for the 21th century". Many friends donated old laptops that just aren't usable anymore for work at home, but here they provide a valuable mean for educating young Saharawis (needles to mention, their education is largely neglected by the occupying force that presents itself as their state ... Morocco)
But it has to be emphasized here, no naive giving away of the laptops is taking place here. The person that we see that maybe needs a laptop has to invest his/her time and energy into learning how to properly use it and care for it.
WS-locals-03.jpg

This activities of course are starting points for many lasting friendships and this of course constantly brings opportunities for some more intimate photography.
WS-locals-05.jpg

WS-locals-04.jpg

And the mechanics ...
They can of course be pain in the a... if they smell you are a typical tourist with no time and too much money, but when you find the right person and approach him with the right attitude, you can have good job done very effectively and cost friendly.
WS-locals-07.jpg

WS-locals-06.jpg

A warm official reception for my friend who visited and stayed in WS for a month (but who is who? - ok, a friend had just received a complete local wardrobe as a gift so he did put it on as a sign of thankfulness and the local wanted to look as much European as possible. :) ).
WS-locals-08.jpg

And the next evening, we are out in the desert, enjoying the warm evening, chatting, and of course posing for a group photograph (except me, operating the camera and the flashes).

WS-locals-09.jpg

Another wonderful update Damjan :icon-cool:

Last edited:
Good photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back