Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP - broken down in Spain - think my transfer or torque converter has let go

Lorin, only just got home, and catching up with your tribulations. It looks like you've got some sound advice already. Not much I can add really. TCs very rarely seem to let go in these trucks I have to say. But if it is that, they are not difficult to swap IF you have a ramp etc. I would think that second hand there are plenty around because there isn't much of a demand for them unlike say manual gearboxes. I have on sitting in the garage myself.

As to the transfer box, removal is very easy with a small set of tools. If it is that and you can get a spare box, fitting it is a question of about 3 plugs, one linkage and 7 bolts. Plus the prop. You could do it in 40 minutes.

I wish I could be more help. It's frustrating not being able to offer anything more for now.

Cheers Chris. The truck is currently being inspected by the Toyota main dealer here. I know I could've done more to properly diagnose the issue myself and I have the tools, but we lost drive on a narrow and busy motorway slip road on quite a steep incline, wife is 7 months pregnant and not liking the stress..... Suffice to say I just got recovery and they only deliver to a garage. So I've ended up not really being able to have a proper poke around and now it's in with Toyota options are somewhat limited. Tomorrow I get the results of their inspection, so we'll see.

My inexpert hunch is that whilst rare, I think our transfer has died. Just before we left I had a transfer leak fixed. About one week into the trip (we're now in week three) I noticed a small leak where the speedo cable goes into the transfer - not that uncommon by all accounts and an easy fix - the leak was small so I just kept my eye on it and ironically was going to check the level today! One other thing I had noticed was that the auto temps have been running at about 90-110C for the past week or so, a bit higher than ideal. Fluid level was okay and no other symptoms so again, I was just keeping my eye on it. Having just read this thread http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bet-youve-never-seen-this-before.897577/ I'm wondering if the same has happened to me.....? Tomorrow we'll find out.

My transfer let go in a big way as well. Some may remember the thread? The ONLY warning I got a couple of days earlier, was the car was rolling to a stop (2-3mph?) it was as if I had hit an invisible rubber wall, the car stopped and rolled backwards a foot or so. I went all over the car, I even decided to tow a weed wacker (think heavy old spring mattress with no material on it), around the land surrounding a house I was 'sitting', all in vain trying to diagnose the issue. Eventually a few days later I was climbing out of a dry river bed (we use them as shortcuts) and heard a grating noise, the second time I tried the noise was really bad, drove gently to a petrol garage called a breakdown truck.

I would have sworn the noise was in the gearbox, turned out to be transfer, recently heard of another that went the same way, no noise, just bang and grating.

Thanks to LC120, Lorin did contact me and now has options, even if it eases the stress on his poor missus.

regards

Dave

Just reading through the thread again. Noted in 'PARK' the car still rolls i.e. as if the TB is in neutral, this would normally put the TB at fault.

regards

Dave

Sorry to hear of your Break down Lorin, i will keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be an easy fix.

Sorry to hear the news lorin. Real shame when on a trip :(

if I can help I will.

Hope it turns out to be a cheap fix but I expect as others have said it will be the transfer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rotten luck Lorin. Hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.

That would be great if you could, or let me know the details and I can do it. I've had one quote from the UK company that do the AA european recoveries and they were £3,200. It may actually work out cheaper to just get it fixed, even if I have to fly back and drive it home. I should have quote for repair by tomorrow at 10am - Toyota main dealer are looking at it now.

txt me anytime if you need me to get some quotes
tell me where you are
i'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper than 3 grand
cheers

Lots of fingers crossed out here for you Lorin, no help at all, but gunning for a successful outcome soon!

Hope it all gets sorted out quickly and without too much hassle - all the best.

Thank you all for your good wishes. The help and support has been brilliant :thumbup:

Toyota have now 'confirmed' it is the transfer and said they won't fix it! Dave has very kindly offered to help get it sorted here in Spain, which is an absolute lifesaver. Just got to get the truck to him and source a decent transfer box both of which are easily solved compared to any alternatives.

Whilst not something you'd ever want to happen, we were actually quite 'lucky' it happened where and when it did. We've done some pretty decent trails throughout our trip, some a long way from any paved roads, and had the transfer gone on any one of those we could have been in considerably deeper trouble. As it is we broke down in a major city, 5 mins from the nearest garage and not too far away from someone who can help.

what a terrible thing to happen, but what a great thing this club is! Help offered by so many, well done chaps!.

Nightmare scenario, but as you say could have been a lot worse! Hope everything gets resolved and fixed quickly with no hassles.
So lucky it held together on the trails

Where abouts are you in Spain ?
We're the trails good ? Heading down there myself in 7 weeks to do a vibraction RB28 roadbook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in Spain in 5 weeks time if you are still stuck. Sorry about the joke about being stuck in the " fast " lane but turned out well if you were on the slip road. That's why I said to try low range as it could work in that and get you somewhat mobile

So what causes these transfer boxes to fail ? And at what mileage ? I bet Dave's had plenty of oil in it.

Apparently the expert on transfer boxes is Bob Murphy, he has repaired 6 of them up to now...

I'm in Spain in 5 weeks time if you are still stuck. Sorry about the joke about being stuck in the " fast " lane but turned out well if you were on the slip road. That's why I said to try low range as it could work in that and get you somewhat mobile

So what causes these transfer boxes to fail ? And at what mileage ? I bet Dave's had plenty of oil in it.

Are the 80 transfer box's the same design as a colorado? i know the colorado has a chain inside that stretches. could this be happening in the 80's box, but snapping/coming off?

Frank, jokes are always welcome, just so much going on at the time I didn't reply :icon-biggrin: I did try low range but had no drive in Low, High, CDL locked, or everything locked!

Transfer box has been sourced and is winging its way to Dave as we speak. Just waiting for final confirmation on transport for the truck and it's all sorted for now. Had a good result on this actually. I got a couple of quotes around the €800 mark. Then asked the AA if thy could sort it for me and I pay them. They got it down to just over €500 with a company that had already quoted me. At this point things are working out.

I will have to think about getting back to collect it but no point till I know it's all done - simplest is probably to just fly back but I'll see.

Never made any comments earlier Lorin as there was nothing I could add to help you but I'm glad to hear everythings sorted, this forum is magic isn't it?

Good to hear that you are getting sorted and that as a club people came to the forefront and helped where they could! Wish you all the best with the rest of your journey and the subsequent recovery back to the uk. Hopefully there might be a trip report include good parts ;-)

Just a point on the Toyota not wanting to fix it. Yes it might be good thing that Toyota don't want to touch it as I am sure the cost would have escalated with all the new parts that they would want to do. However.... Slightly disappointed that it sounds like they do not want to assist - what if that was the only option?

Maybe as a forum group with people travelling around Europe / the world - maybe we should have a "sticky" list of mechanics / repairers that we could call if we are in need. Think that would make me feel a bit more relaxed if I was on a road trip.... Just a thought but worth perusing.

Back