Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help, Starting without key issue!

Tom-KZJ70

Hi

My father has a 96 4.2td 80 series. Its done around 98,000 been very well looked after all its life, him only being the second owner from new for the past 16 years.
The other day he came home, turned it off, as soon as he pulled the key out of the ignition it proceeded to crank!
No other way of stopping it from cranking other than disconnecting the batteries.
He's now had a mechanic look over it and ruled out that its not the ignition barrel.
Has anyone else ever heard or experienced anything like this before?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Tom

Never heard of it before but its obviously hot wired itself . Follow the wires down from the barrel and look for wear .

To hot wire an old car you just rip out all the wires from ignition and find 2 that will fire her up when they are touched together .

Im wondering weather is could be the stater solenoid?
It wont actually fire when this happens due to the fuel solenoid not being opened because the ignition is not engaged.

If the ignition is off the solenoids should not get any power to do anything surely .

A weak connection resulting from worn wires touching might have a similar effect as trying to start up with a dead battery i imagine .

Last edited:
The starter contacts had fused together. Its a fairly common problem with 80's. It can be overcome with a new contact kit about £30 and DIY or take it with the kit to a auto electrical workshop for them to do.

Bet thats it.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What andy said. very common fault

I agree, it happened to mine and had to fit new contacts. What I don't understand about the OP is how come it happened at the END of a journey when the ignition was switched off, unless of course it happened on starting and the starter had been spinning all the time the engine was running, in which case he's lucky it didn't fry the starter motor?

I guess thats the case Phil, it's impossible for it to come on without the starter circuit being energised from the key being turned to start. My guess is it was on all the time and not noticed until the key turned the engine off and the starter still turned the engine. He may well be lucky not to have damaged the starter but if it was still turning the engine after running then it should still be ok. If it was me I would put the contacts in and see what happened, if it turned the engine with the contacts fused together it will turn it with new contacts.

Andy

I shall give this a try and let you know how I get on!
Thank you very much for your help and knowledge!
Tom

Almost defo the solenoid contacts. Happened to me twice, latest was last month. I've just made and fitted new solid copper contacts. I have a keyed isolator switch under the bonnet so I can remove it if the motor does not stop cranking. Also I can take the key out so thieves can't drive it away.

Frank

Changed the contacts and it works like a dream again! Thank you for you advice and help. Tom

Back