Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hey Guys

BigSixty

Country Flag
australia
Hello all, I recently bought a 60 series with a 2H with turbo. The thing won't turn off with the key. Apparently there should be an EDIC motor on these guys but I can't seem to find one on mine... Dumb question but is that shutter valve on the intake responsible for shutting off engine and is vacuum actuated?

The only way I can turn this thing off is stalling or that fuel off lever on the pump.

Thanks guys

20181223_204434 (1).jpg 20181223_204750.jpg 20181223_204250.jpg

Can’t help you wit your problem Big60, but welcome aboard the forum anyway, I’m sure someone will be along soon to assist. :thumbup:

Hi and welcome.

I have an HJ60 in my 40, as does Tony, and on mine I have 'stop' pull but the 60 series uses the EDIC unit. @AndycruiserguyLomas may have one available but if not a friend in Scotland has but he is away until the new year. Not sure if the unit is the same for the turbo motor (HJ61) or if the wiring to it is the same. Andy will know.

Regards,

Rodger

Hello all, I recently bought a 60 series with a 2H with turbo. The thing won't turn off with the key. Apparently there should be an EDIC motor on these guys but I can't seem to find one on mine... Dumb question but is that shutter valve on the intake responsible for shutting off engine and is vacuum actuated?

The only way I can turn this thing off is stalling or that fuel off lever on the pump.

Thanks guys

View attachment 152512 View attachment 152513 View attachment 152514

Hey, I had a similar issue with my BJ71 (13BT engine) years back. The shutoff was vacuum actuated, and can be done by hand by turning the actuator attached to the vacuum valve (top circle on your top photo)

I could take a photo of mine for you tomorrow. When mine went on me, I would just manually turn it to turn the truck off. Its a bit of a pain having to pop the hood and run around the truck, but better than trying to stall it out.

Hi and welcome.

I have an HJ60 in my 40, as does Tony, and on mine I have 'stop' pull but the 60 series uses the EDIC unit. @AndycruiserguyLomas may have one available but if not a friend in Scotland has but he is away until the new year. Not sure if the unit is the same for the turbo motor (HJ61) or if the wiring to it is the same. Andy will know.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger and Bigsixty. It looks like a 2H with an after market turbo fitted. It should have the EDIC unit still fitted which is a in it which fits the bulkhead side of the pump with vac pipes ( I think, might be wires) attached with a linkage to the pump. It's function IIRC is to control the switch off/on function and also give maximum fuel for starting when cold. The level of fuel delivery is controlled by manifold depression which is controlled by the butterfly flap so that is the function of that.
We really need to know if the EDIC unit is actually in place, if it is connected to the pump, if the switch off ECU is receiving a signal from the ignition switch and telling the EDIC unit to work.
Personally I've never had a problem with this usually reliable unit so I'm speculating as to what to look for, I can't totally remember if its vac operated or not from this hotel bed in Cyprus but I remember when it shuts off it does default to open position.
I hope this helps but will look at a spare engine when I get back in the new year for you.

In my bj46, there used to be an edic but it's replaced by the PO to a pull knob in the dash which pulls on the lever on the pump with a bicycle brake style sleeve and cable.
Works perfectly. Pulling the knob to switch off the engine fits with the agricultural character of the 40 series, so it doesn't bother me.
I pulled the electronics out of the edic ecu and put a buzzer in which is switched by the oil pressure contact. So I don't forget to switch off the ignition.
Edic normally switches off the engine when oil pressure is low. Now the buzzer warns when the pressure is low. Wiring for the oil contact is in the edic ecu loom.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thanks guys

View attachment 152512 View attachment 152513 View attachment 152514

Hey, I had a similar issue with my BJ71 (13BT engine) years back. The shutoff was vacuum actuated, and can be done by hand by turning the actuator attached to the vacuum valve (top circle on your top photo)

I could take a photo of mine for you tomorrow. When mine went on me, I would just manually turn it to turn the truck off. Its a bit of a pain having to pop the hood and run around the truck, but better than trying to stall it out.

I think this may be what you are looking for. I’m running a 13BT but if you don’t have the EDIC, my understanding is that it’s likely a vacuum switching valve like i’ve got. In my specific situation the culprit was actually a block heater that had shorted out, and started a small fire which happened to burn through a vacuum hose connected to the VSV, which therefore wouldn’t pressure up when I switched the key off. Hope this helps, although it’s not from your specific manual.

85B132AD-6F1F-4D7C-AA86-F86DB4703DD1.png 59504B2A-AF41-4BFF-BEE4-5198FE6DD1E7.png

Hi Big 60 and Welcome.

In your first picture it looks like there’s no vacuum pipe connected to the back of the vacuum actuator. Have a look and see if there’s a vacuum pipe floating about that may have come off the actuator and pop it back on.

The vacuum pipe is visible in your last pic blanked off with a bolt. Seems there may be more to this as the guys have suggested.

The second pic also shows a linkage stud that doesn’t have a rod on it. Don’t know if this is significant as I don’t know this truck.

afaik there is or an edic or an overinjection magnet :
upload_2018-12-24_11-39-59.png

Hmmm.... I'm having the same issue with an '86 Canadian HJ60 after a 2 year frame swap project. Engine fired up no problem at all, but could not shut it down without pulling the intake shutter manually. There is no sign of a EDIC motor or reply box, and no Overinjection Magnet. Only two control cables connected with a rod that both go to the throttle control. Essentially the same as the OP but with another connection rod to another cable. The little arm on the side of the fuel pump circled in the OP is not connected to anything on this one either. There are a couple unused wire connections so it's possible there was an EDIC or magnet originally but it did turn off before the frame was swapped.
PXL_20220904_012136431.jpg

Back