Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HID conversion

C11ONX

Has anyone changed their light set up from standard HB4 to a HID conversion. If so what are your thoughts on it. Was it worth it. Is it much better are they ok with the headlights re temperature

I did mine when we first changed the lights to l/h drive ones - they were aftermarket and pants! Once we put the HID's in made it 100% better - its a much clearer light (6000 colour) esp when on wet or damp roads in the country. No problems re temperature and lamps have been in a year with no changes.

Steve

Last edited:
I've had hids in my 120 for the last 3 years, superb IMO, I accidently bought a cheaper set too ( both hids fed off one bulb feed) Passes the mot too, but I was told to leave a set of oe bulbs on the seat for the test, and tell the tester if the hids are no good put the bulbs in!

I don't know the relevance of HIDs on my 80, but in terms of brightness and improved visibility, they were well worth the effort.

Legalities completely aside, the problem I had was with scatter on the LHS headlamp and remember that mine is LHD so interference with oncoming traffic was a major concern to me.

On my own, I couldn't get it acceptable, but when I had all the lights removed for a re-spray, the guy refitting them "played around" with the alignment, but I don't know if that was the alignment of the headlamp or the positioning of the bulb in the headlamp.

Anyway, he cured the offending scatter and the lights are very good now, much better than the OEM set-up and I'm not upsetting other road users!

Hope this is helpful. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Fitted a HID kit to my 90 series last week and it is a lot better on the road.

I did a lot of research so I'll give you a few pointers...

-55watt systems produce more light than the 35watt systems HOWEVER the bulb life reduces with that (but still last longer than a normal halogen)
-3500k bulb - Tint of yellow, bright! 4500k Bulb - White, Brightest option, 5000k - hint of blue, bright! -6000k, Blue, still bright - bassically the higher you go the more colour you get, the less actual light you get.
-Some of the kits on ebay are good, some are rubbish.

I'll have some pics up soon!

Thanks for that. There is a shop in Salford that sells kits. One of the lads bought one for his audi and the results are good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Damn, after just singing the praises of my conversion, on the way home yesterday, the driver side headlamp turned pink!

Had them just over the 12 month warranty period too :|

Any ideas? New bulb or is it more likely to be the power pack?

that old bean is Sods law!
No idea why it should turn pink? Do you have a spare bulb to try?
Steve

I had one that just went very dim and turned out to be the bulb. Just try the bulb from the other side.

Hid fitted. Results are amazing much better than the 100w bulbs I was running. 5000k colour on 35w bulbs but have bought 55w ballasts just incase
Great cheap mod. £50 from hid direct in Salford

I fitted the hb4 hid kit. If you look on their website hids direct uk

My new-to-me had HID's already in, I like the bright white although I am yet to be convinced they are giving better light if you know what I mean. Not sure which kit they are so to speak.

My new-to-me had HID's already in, I like the bright white although I am yet to be convinced they are giving better light if you know what I mean. Not sure which kit they are so to speak.

The kit came from Julian V, but I don't know the make.

Hi guys, would be nice to see some pics of new lights in & on, if at all possible?.

:thumbup:

The light dispersion is so good I have has to adjust the lights to 3 instead of 0 as the light reaches too far in front and blinds oncoming cars

The kit came from Julian V, but I don't know the make.
I thought it might.
I'll drop him a note as it would be good to know the details for a spare bulb search as and when if you know what I mean.

Back