Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ60 Running Warm

Spidermonkey084

Country Flag
australia
Hi Guys I need a little advise and hoping someone can help,

I have gotten my hands on my old mans 1981 Hj60 as a bit of a project nothing huge just want to make it look respectable again, Its been sitting in dads shed for a while and only run on the odd occasion. When I started taking it out it has had a Overheating issue (Temp Gage going into the red) We found the fan clutch was stuffed so we replaced that along with the thermostat and gave the radiator along with the block multiple flushes using just water also once with flush additive, replaced the hoses as they were crunchy and the radiator cap.

After all that we have managed to get the temp down and holding at around 75% of the white it only creeps past that when you are really pushing it up hill higher speeds etc but it comes down pretty quickly.

Im not really sure what to look at next, from memory it used to sit at about 50% of the white i would really like to see it back to that again im thinking of taking it to a professional but im not sure who it would be best to take it to a Radiator guy or a Diesel mechanic.

Additional information 2h engine Non Turbo with 280k on the clock.

Any Advice would be great. Thanks

As you have changed the viscous coupling although you have flushed the rad I would say it needs a recore after standing that long, the core and fins will be knackered.

Ok off to the radiator guy then. I have one of the original type radiators is it better to just replace it or is rodding it the best option?

Hi there I've also just bought a 1982 60 in near showroom condition with 200k on it. The only issue I had was the temp rising close to red during hill climb. I also changed the VF top and bottom hoses ( genuine) and fitted genuine thermostat, had the block flushed and the rad tank removed and sediment removed from fins ( I assume that means rodded) . Rad guy said was 15% blocked, anyhow filled with Toyota coolant and now sits at 1/3 with almost no movement no matter what I'm doing.
Hope that helps you.

With what you've done so far, I'll be looking at next replacing the Thermostat, cheap to replace and relatively easy.

If not then maybe replacing the actual Radiator as it's probably pretty old.

Back