Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Home built aluminium roof rack

Andykdj95

Country Flag
great_britain
was looking for a safari style roof rack in aluminium, but £1000 quid way over my budget.
so I decided to build one from an old ladder I had, and raped the edge with 3" flat
aluminium, it's a great alternative to an exspensive rack and very strong and light.
Cost about £80 with stainless steel bolts etc and good fun to make. Just thought I would share
may save some cash

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Good idea that and Looks good Andy never tell it was home made buddy :thumbup:

That looks great - I'd never tell it was home made.

I would buy that before any off the shelf item I have seen I bet it weighs next to nothing :thumbup:

As I said in your intro that looks great and as above you'd never know it was home built. Does it make much noise going along? Does it stand up to weight like standing on it OK? Dumb question I suppose as its a ladder. Looks like a Youngman one, or was. :)

As I said in your intro that looks great and as above you'd never know it was home built. Does it make much noise going along? Does it stand up to weight like standing on it OK? Dumb question I suppose as its a ladder. Looks like a Youngman one, or was. :)
Hi couldn't give an accurate answer on wind noise as speed limit is 40mph here in Jersey ! Not sure what ladder its one with box section uprights, think
I would advise anyone building one to use the solid H section type, but saying that I can stand on it and I'm a good 98 kg. I have another support for the middle section that not fitted yet so should be bomb proof then.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's brilliant!

Mine's steel and weighs in at about 45 kg and its starting to rust.

You've got (almost) the same size rack and none of the above, cracking job, like it!!

That's a sweet roof rack man, very well done. Neat finish with right materials for weight.

Man, that looks a lot nicer than a lot of racks I've seen for sale! I like how you've done the edging, clean!

Very well done!

Great job, and very neat idea, might try it myself if and when my rack goes.

Now did you bend and attach the edging metal?

Cheers
Owen

Great job, and very neat idea, might try it myself if and when my rack goes.

Now did you bend and attach the edging metal?

Cheers
Owen
Hi
I rounded the corners of the ladder with a grinder.
bent the cover aluminium by hand on the bench its only 75mm
by 3mm so fairly easy, fitted to ladder with countersunk stainless
steel bolts.

Back