Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do you prepare a 100 series for overlanding to look like Jon's old 100

oostsco

I know this must have been discussed in various threads and the 80 seems to be the vehicle of choice BUT i looked at the 2011 Pyrenees trip and could not help to notice Jon Wildsmith's 100. I just love it.

Jon how could you ever sell that - there must be something mysterious about an 80.

Well me and a few mates are planning a Pyrenees trip next year July and as some of you know i still need a vehicle. On paper the 100 makes the most sense but why did you sell your 100 Jon, what were the problems/issues with that 100?

How do you lift a 100 like Jon's - i thought 100 lifts were problematic/not so easy. Also Jon where did you get the front bumper from it looks stunning.

By the way this is an open invite to join us next year - after looking at the stunning photos of the 2011 trip there is no turning back now!!

The trouble with me is I get a bit bored when I start running out of interesting things to do to them and that 100 only really had minor tweaks left in it. It was fun while it lasted, now Gav gets to play with it, it's not like it died :icon-cool: Who knows what's round the corner I've not much left to do on this 80 for what we wanted it to be ... it's not going anywhere but I might need a real project to keep me occupied next :shifty:

100's are easy enough to do mild lifts on and will get you pretty much anywhere you need to go in a bit more comfort than an 80. There are no real problems/issues with a 100, all the ones I would list are more things at the back of my mind than genuine problems and mostly relate to the fact I like to maintain my cars myself as much as possible and hope to be able to sort out most problems that could crop up mid trip. In reality they shouldn't become a problem on a well maintained 100.

I just get more of a smile out of driving an 80 at the moment, don't know why, doesn't have to make sense :icon-biggrin:

The front bumper came from OEC.

There are other people on here with nice 100's, I suppose I just post more about what I've been up to :whistle:

P.S. I didn't go from the 100 to an 80, I went to an Audi A8 first, got bored with how nice that was once I'd fitted a tow bar and remapped it which was about all there was to do, then chose an 80 again

Thanks Jon - tough decision but i am not in a hurry

TBO i am a bit worried about getting the right 80 since i have no experience of LCs

Jon i have a brilliant idea - you should be bored of the 80 soon and i could then look after it for a good price:icon-wink:

you're not the first person to have that thought about my 80 but it won't be going anywhere soon, I seem to have got the attack of sensibleness out of my system and normal service should be resumed shortly :lol:

Excepting total sheds you just have to grab one that's good enough when it comes along is my policy, accepting that there may be things to fix and the next day an even better one will be advertised 5 miles away for half the price, seems to be the way of it for me. Best to have some time getting to know a truck before setting out on a trip though IMO. Asking about likely candidates on here should help whatever model it is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know this must have been discussed in various threads and the 80 seems to be the vehicle of choice BUT i looked at the 2011 Pyrenees trip and could not help to notice Jon Wildsmith's 100. I just love it.

Jon how could you ever sell that - there must be something mysterious about an 80.

Well me and a few mates are planning a Pyrenees trip next year July and as some of you know i still need a vehicle. On paper the 100 makes the most sense but why did you sell your 100 Jon, what were the problems/issues with that 100?

How do you lift a 100 like Jon's - i thought 100 lifts were problematic/not so easy. Also Jon where did you get the front bumper from it looks stunning.

By the way this is an open invite to join us next year - after looking at the stunning photos of the 2011 trip there is no turning back now!!

Me and you both buddy. When I told my wife that John had sold the beast, she replied with utter astonishment and said "May God have mercy on his soul".......

Looks like you have a 100 at the moment Dark Dude. Do you use it for overlanding? What mods have you made? Dont you have 80 fever yet:)

The trouble with me is I get a bit bored when I start running out of interesting things to do to them and that 100 only really had minor tweaks left in it. It was fun while it lasted, now Gav gets to play with it, it's not like it died :icon-cool: Who knows what's round the corner I've not much left to do on this 80 for what we wanted it to be ... it's not going anywhere but I might need a real project to keep me occupied next :shifty:

100's are easy enough to do mild lifts on and will get you pretty much anywhere you need to go in a bit more comfort than an 80. There are no real problems/issues with a 100, all the ones I would list are more things at the back of my mind than genuine problems and mostly relate to the fact I like to maintain my cars myself as much as possible and hope to be able to sort out most problems that could crop up mid trip. In reality they shouldn't become a problem on a well maintained 100.

I just get more of a smile out of driving an 80 at the moment, don't know why, doesn't have to make sense :icon-biggrin:

The front bumper came from OEC.

There are other people on here with nice 100's, I suppose I just post more about what I've been up to :whistle:

Jon

I've got a project that will alleviate your tendency towards boredom!

Probably little bits of play in the various shafts / joints and lots of play in the diffs if it has done many miles? I'm about to rebuild some 80 diffs for just that reason. Have you waggled your flanges to see how much backlash there is? :lol:

Probably little bits of play in the various shafts / joints and lots of play in the diffs if it has done many miles? I'm about to rebuild some 80 diffs for just that reason. Have you waggled your flanges to see how much backlash there is? :lol:

Jon

I had a go at this a couple of years back and changed UJs, all kind of bushes and mounts etc. in fact the only thing that I didn't do was the upper / lower control arm bushes (bought poly pro, but haven't got round to putting them on).

Ref the flanges are these either side of the diff, if so there does seem to be backlash.

Got a feeling that rebuilding diffs may be a bit beyond my skill level :_(

It's got 108k miles now! It's had the same slap all the time that I've had it (i've had it since about 68K miles). I seem to remember my V8 having the same and that didn't have a ton of miles on it.

It'd just be nice to have a tighter car (possibly spoilt by driving my other car)

Last edited:
The things either side of the front diff are the drive shafts to the wheels? I meant the input flange that the prop connects to. But if the slap was there at 68k I doubt it was sloppy diffs then and 108k isn't all that many miles still really. Can't say I noticed slap in my 100 but I'm not sure if Gav might have said something about it so maybe they all do it if you're sensitive to it?

The things either side of the front diff are the drive shafts to the wheels? I meant the input flange that the prop connects to. But if the slap was there at 68k I doubt it was sloppy diffs then and 108k isn't all that many miles still really. Can't say I noticed slap in my 100 but I'm not sure if Gav might have said something about it so maybe they all do it if you're sensitive to it?

Maybe they do all have it???

Looks like you have a 100 at the moment Dark Dude. Do you use it for overlanding? What mods have you made? Dont you have 80 fever yet:)

Well, I'm on the look out for a another nice LC100 but this time a oil burner for my future adventures in South Africa. My UK beast will stay pretty much standard apart from a new set of BFG AT boots all round, a roof rack and tinted security glass on the rear quarter. My South Africa number will be dedicated to Jon Wildsmith and have all the trimmings, including kissing goodbye to the AHC system. Yes, Jon, you heard right.......

Back