Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How good are 80 brakes?

As a rule of thumb we drop the LSPV by about 1/4 inch for a 50mm lift and that seems to provide a good starting point. I then usually recommend fine tuning with the rod on the axle when fully loaded prior to a trip.

Pad wise I have tried Milners, OEM, Mintex and EBC Green stuff......

Milners - been a while since I have had these on but remember a lot of soot on the rims and they faded a bit early.

OEM - Adequate, but not great - we used to fit these as standard.

EBC Green Stuff - found these to be great, however they do need warming up to get the most out of them and so on a casual drive to the local town they just don't get used enough to provide effective breaking. If thrashing it to the local town braking on every corner then they will work fine.

Mintex - I find these provide the best overall package - they are almost as good as the EBC when heated up, but perform well when hot or cold.

We also fit braided brake hose kits which are a worthwhile upgrade to improve the feel of the pedals, but they don't really help actual braking.

Disks wise I struggle to notice a difference between the cheaper Milner disks and factory ones. THe factory ones do last roughly 2-3 times longer so pound for pound there isn't much in it.

As an upgrade we fit either 3G or Nitrac grooved disks and customers notice a significant difference with these - although we are usually upgrading their whole braking system at the same time so it is realistically diffficult for them tell.

On my truck I run the 3G disks, braided brake hoses and Mintex pads and find that it stops as well as most cars and I haven't yet been able to push it hard enough to experience brake fade and that is despite the fact that I need to tweek the LSPV a bit more to shift the bias a bit further back.

Are you getting Mintex in for the 100 series Julian? I find the EBC are as you say not too good for casual town driving, ok for moderately spirited use but actually not great when pushed quite hard (on my 100 mind) which better discs would help with but seems the Mintex might be a better all round compromise to combine with better discs. I'm not too far off having worn the EBC's out in less than 4k so it's time to plan for their replacement.

EBC greenstuff 100 series pads on the fron tof the 80 are still going strong after 20k miles- roughly half gone. Having said that they definitely like to be warm! Will try Mintex next as recommended!

Julian, helpful, thorough and valued as always. I won't be twiddling again for the minute as I am happy with the balance I have - as I said, a deeply complex calculation divided by 2!

Chris

Jon Wildsmith said:
Are you getting Mintex in for the 100 series Julian?

Yes, generally have some in stock although not at the moment. Should have more early next week.

Mintex in mine with DBA disks, to be honest i'm not that impressed over the standard setup.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul said:
Mintex in mine with DBA disks, to be honest i'm not that impressed over the standard setup.

That's surprising, that should be a good combination.

Did you adjust the LSPV when you put the lift on?

What condition are the callipers in?

Paul said:

have you fully flushed the brake fluid- this can make the biggest difference!

I know its not the weather for it.....

But does anyone have a pic of their LSPV setup as the rod on mine looks like its been bent a few times and is a bit close to the axle track control arm for my liking.
I am going to replace all my brakes soon and want to set it up. The valve does seem a bit sticky so might just replace the whole thing.

I think the brakes on my 1996 are extra good. It stops dead even when a heavy loaded trailor is on the back. I've always braked hard and this heats the calipers up and keeps the pistons free. I've had sticking pistons on other cars and rebuilding the calipers made an amazing difference.

Frank

Well, after trying to fit the new front pads i have found one of the pistons seized solid, despite a recent reseal. It appears that it has been working correctly but just wont push back and is now solid in all directions.
Two new front callipers now ordered and will price up whether its worth rebuilding the old ones against the surcharge prices as still have some pretty decent condition discs spare too.
Will replace everything on the back at the same time so went down Halfrauds to buy some clear plastic hose for when i bleed them and couldn't find it on the shelf so asked one of the high calliber staff where some hose was who then replied that he would need the model of car to look it up :doh:

Paul said:
so asked one of the high calliber staff where some hose was who then replied that he would need the model of car to look it up :doh:
:doh:

Back