Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How stupid can a mechanic be??

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
After the cruiser got broken into, I dropped it into my local Mr.T to get a new lock and door handle fitted. A straight forward job one would assume. But alas I arrived to find that they had fitted a chrome door handle to my truck.... which has black door handles.... When I asked the service manager, his reply was that the system said it should have chrome. I then asked "Did any of ye actually look at the cruiser??". Heavens above....

Last edited:
From what I've seen in Europe the last times I ventured there, there are no mechanics anymore. You've got a bunch of geeky-looking guys plugging laptops into the engine's entertainment system. After having played video games for a while they go to the shelves and pick up a fully assembled system comprising about half of the engine or drivetrain, and throw away the corresponding amount of junk taken out of your car - because that's What The Computer Told Them To Do.

Hopefully, in the 300 kilos of multi-thousand-whatever expensive things they replace, there is also the 50 cents connector or bolt that was actually faulty.

But don't ask them to FIX anything, unless you want to be confronted by blank stares over drooling lips...

Yep it's very hard to find a main stealer with a brain!

When I had a D40 navara pick up it used to muller front wheel bearing regularly, the tell tail was the wheel bearing noise followed quickly by the ABS light coming on.
First time it did it I jacked it up and confirmed a wheel bearing issue-
Booked it in to the dealer for a warranty fix (couldn't do it for a week!)
Collected it and it was still making wheel bearing noises?...
Drove it for a few miles ABS light on again!
Returned it to the dealership and enquired on work due "changed the ABS sensor sir" - so you didn't think to ask why it was damaged? Or think to check the wheel bearing or take notice of what I said.....
Asked for a curtesy car sorry haven't got one.... Ok I will hire something and bill you!, Nissan micro is suddenly found....

thrashed the crap out the micra drove it in quarries treated it very badly (had 50 ish miles on the clock to start with)

So i rang the dealer today, they have managed to procure the correct black door handle for my cruiser. Apparently, when he checked the spec list for my truck, it listed chrome pack 1 as an added option. He assumed this included door handles, but just the grille and mirrors in reality. However it does not explain why the monkey charged with the task was unable to see the other 3 doors...

Because he really couldn't give a f*ck about his work, I suspect.

Anyone with any level of professionalism would have gone back to the gaffer and advised of the error.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some dealer techs don't have pride in the work they do and some would struggle to do things like engine rebuilds etc. It's a manufacturer thing as its cheaper to replace rather then rebuild most of the time.

Not spotting a door handle is really really bad! First rule, check the part before you strip it!

A big issue in dealers is having to chase figures for bonus, techs are expected to work faster and harder to hit targets.

It's probably to do with the fact that they charge £80 per hour for their "technicians" and pay them £9.00 per hour. I'd be in the "paid from the neck down" club too!!

Not everyone who works in a dealer is some geeky looking guy who relys on a laptop, some would rather repair then just replace, there is still some pride left in the trade it's just getting less and less.

Not everyone who works in a dealer is some geeky looking guy who relys on a laptop, some would rather repair then just replace, there is still some pride left in the trade it's just getting less and less.

Spot on, And some of us can still make tea without a laptop.

Dave.

Spot on, And some of us can still make tea without a laptop.

Dave.

Think the apprentice makes it without a tea bag never mind anything else lol.

Real shame your not allowed to give them a little slap anymore!!

Imo dealers just want people who can bang out service after service. Anything more then that and 'computer says it's this part' mode kicks in.
The wheel bearing/abs sensor above a prime example, says sensor faulty so replaces it, old sensor is damaged but doesn't get given a moments thought, why the sensor is damaged should be looked at but it doesn't. Customer who knows their vehicle has already mentioned bearing is faulty, but what does the customer know?
I see things like that all too often and it winds me up tbh.

Apprentice wasn't allowed to assist/watch/learn on an engine rebuild I did recently as there was services to be done. How do they learn?! How will he learn to measure bores, ring gaps, bearing shells etc, not from changing oil and filters all day.

I could rant all day about this subject tbh but I'm too new here lol.

p.s I'm a dealer tech and don't disagree with people and their opinions, please don't tar us all with the same brush.

so how does thrashing a brand new loaner make you a good person?
it could be that people LIKE you are the reason they don't have loaners.
sad.
Yep it's very hard to find a main stealer with a brain!
Nissan micro is suddenly found....

thrashed the crap out the micra drove it in quarries treated it very badly (had 50 ish miles on the clock to start with)

I think that goes in line with the mantra "the fastest car in the world is the rented car"... Not that I condone thrashing of rentals or loaners. I just wouldn't buy an ex-rental for that reason

Getting the door handle sorted on monday.. Will be travelling to a longer established Mr.T 15 miles away in future I think.

Last edited:
Dont tell me things like that.......mines in on the 4th Feb for some bumper work, after a little old lady couldnt see it......."the sun was in my eyes".

I would not be impressed with that service off my local man. Sounds like a little bit of extra cash is what they were after as adding extras without even asking you, you ask for a simple lock change and they go the extra mile with brand new handles etc...What can I say!

Back