Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to change window rubbers

Someone else gave local dealer prices further up in the thread :icon-wink:

I could do with a set of 4 if anyone has any.
I just tried dropping my NSR and there was a breaking noise and the window has dropped.
Sooner the better really, providing they're reasonably priced.
Failing that it will be front two now and rears later.

New window rubbers courtesy of Jon

I could do with a set of 4 if anyone has any.
I just tried dropping my NSR and there was a breaking noise and the window has dropped.
Sooner the better really, providing they're reasonably priced.
Failing that it will be front two now and rears later.

Huge thanks to Jon... My 4 window seals have landed from the States and will be going in as soon as the weather packs in raining.

His excellent service meant the order took less than three weeks from point of ordering, to them landing at my door!

Happy Days!:icon-biggrin:

Will need to replace mine later this year, if you are planning an order?

orders are every couple of months or so, best to contact me when you're ready to order and I'll let you know when I'm doing the next one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've ordered some, and I'm now getting ridiculously excited with the anticipation of them arriving!!!
Cant wait to get um fitted.
:)

I changed mine and it made very little difference to the speed the windows went down/up.

So I decided to remove the mechanism and give it a service. Removing the 21year old grease from the quadrant gearbox and adding some fresh grease + 'polishing' the gears shaft and regressing it now means the windows go down and up faster than a whore's knickers :thumbup:

When I replaced the rubbers I had some improvement on a couple of the windows, but less so on the other two. Sounds like you have found the real cause. Is there anything complicated in removing the mechanism? Is is worth producing a 'sticky'?
I changed mine and it made very little difference to the speed the windows went down/up.

So I decided to remove the mechanism and give it a service. Removing the 21year old grease from the quadrant gearbox and adding some fresh grease + 'polishing' the gears shaft and regressing it now means the windows go down and up faster than a whore's knickers :thumbup:

Last edited:
....Is there anything complicated in removing the mechanism? Is is worth producing a 'sticky'?
It is a simple enough task.

Once the door card is off it is just a case of pealing enough of the plastic door covering off to get to the bolts and to get your hands in. A second person makes life a lot easier as they can hold the glass as your undoing things. The one end of the runner needs the 'stop' bending out of the way enough for the quadrant to come completely out.

Once you have the mechanism out it is fairly easy enough to see what needs doing. Once it is all cleaned up and regreased it is just a case of wriggling it back into place, bend the runner stop back and then bolt it all back in place.

I haven't done the passenger side yet so I can take some photos of the process if that will help, it won't be this week though as I will be here on my own.

Nudge.... :)
When I replaced the rubbers I had some improvement on a couple of the windows, but less so on the other two. Sounds like you have found the real cause. Is there anything complicated in removing the mechanism? Is is worth producing a 'sticky'?

I found the same. Some windows were little different and also had new motors as well. But when I had the tinting done last month, they cleaned all the mechanism out as part of the fitting and put the new rubbers in whilst they were at it. Wow. That really does do the trick doesn't it. Getting the registers out isn't hard but it's a bit of a dirty job. Gloves are a good idea.

Did my front seals last month, stripped, cleaned and re greased everything and now they run great now. Pulled switches apart and cleaned the contacts too.

I found the same. Some windows were little different and also had new motors as well. But when I had the tinting done last month, they cleaned all the mechanism out as part of the fitting and put the new rubbers in whilst they were at it. Wow. That really does do the trick doesn't it. Getting the registers out isn't hard but it's a bit of a dirty job. Gloves are a good idea.

This is giving me some motivation to pull my windows apart again.

Chris .. did you mean regulators? Or is there another part I'm missing out on when fiddling with the windows?

The last two things I really need to check if they are slowing the windows down are the weather strips that press against the glass to seal water/dirt out and the actual voltage I'm getting at the motors themselves when under load. I don't really fancy taking the drivers control box apart again to re-clean the contacts.

Back